Weaver Stand-offs...>>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heron

Guru
Vessel Name
Heron (2)
Vessel Make
'88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Does anyone use these stand-offs in conjunction with your Weaver Snap brackets? Seems a good solution rather than have the dinghy flop against your transom.... Planning on installing snap brackets in the spring and curious.....

wearp301_1_1.jpg

I wouldn't be without them. Put them to a little opposite angle to each other, and they will also stabilize it horizontally.

Cardude....looks like those stand-off brackets would also fit your platform nicely.

I had them on my Mainship Pilot 34 with a 9' RIB but stopped using them. The dinghy flips up and rides against the transom rub rail just fine. It totally depends on whether the dinghy hits the transom in a good spot for rub and stability. Mine does.

David

Another reason I like them is that if you locate them carefully, you will still have access from the platform. At floating docks boarding is an easy step over for us.

img_310024_0_8d53422e2b774cb99896d9f1ed86c11a.jpg

Heron... I agree with others:thumb:

On my last boat I used the snap davits and didn't need the stand-offs.
I have a set in hand and planning on installing them this spring on our "new to us" MS.
I installed just the davits to start with but found the standoffs would provide a better set up - similar to Moonstrucks.

Thanks for all the responses guys! I guess I'll install the snap brackets and go from there. I also have some ideas for a homebrew solution..

Moonstruck....
Great looking boat!
We looked at a 34 Sabre before deciding on our 34 Mainship. The Sabre's are just a very attractive boat IMHO.

We have them, with the dinghy's top edge tilted sightly towards the transom. They work as advertised.

Anybody ever wonder how much of an effect it has on fuel consumption? (Imagine a sheet of plywood braced and standing up broad side to the wind in the back of your pickup).

Anybody ever wonder how much of an effect it has on fuel consumption? (Imagine a sheet of plywood braced and standing up broad side to the wind in the back of your pickup).

If the pickup was only going 8kts, not much I would think. Now at Moonstruck's top end, warp drive, speed .....

If the pickup was only going 8kts, not much I would think. Now at Moonstruck's top end, warp drive, speed .....

Good point...if it was angled just right he might even get lift off :D

We use them on our Californian 34. Weaver makes them in several different lengths (18", 24", 36"). Not positive of those numbers. We mixed them to give us a better mounting angle. Works well for us.

I recommend getting the stand offs that have adjustment. I believe that it is 6 or 8" in that can be adjusted. It will allow some flexibility. Also if you have a hard bottom dinghy, attaching the brackets to the transom and floor gives much more security and rigidity.

That's where I went wrong. The swim step is so high out of the water we cannot have the dinghy in the brackets and get into it as the pressure is too much to release the snaps. The high cost of extended brackets precludes their purchase for us. All I can do is relocate the dinghy mounts something I am not looking forward to doing.

We use them with our 9' Livingston. We chose a length that tilts the dinghy toward the transom. This means the dinghy pushes against the standoffs and their mounting hardware, not pulls on them. Tilting the dinghy towards the transom also ensures that any water that splashes up into it immediately runs out.

Obviousy, we are the outboard boat in the photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 138
Moonstruck,

I just purchased a Sabre 38 Hardtop Express and would really like more photos and info on the dinghy set up you have. Is this the Weaver clip system? Do you have 1 or 2 standoff brackets? Does your outboard level out and stay attached to the boat? We have the clips on our platform for the dinghy and one centered for a standoff is all I can figure and really would like the outboard to level out to avoid taking it on and off. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. If you could post photos here or email to mclaughlinrk@gmail.com it would be helpful.

We also use the rotating engine bracket which we REALLY like, nice not take engine on and off.

I have a rotating engine bracket available if anyone is interested PM me

We also use the rotating engine bracket which we REALLY like, nice not take engine on and off.

There's a Weaver product for this too, called a Weaver Leaver. I have one, along with the snap davits and standoffs. A very good system for my hard dinghy.:thumb:

I purchased a dinghy on Monday and may need to rethink the outboard swivel mount since the transom is inset more than the offset of the tilt bracket by adventure marine. It looks like the outboard will not be set back enough to get past the tubes on rotation. Can anyone provide advice on this? The weaver leaver looks like a viable option? The ultimate goal is to be able to rotate the dinghy and outboard for travel without removing and storing a 100lb outboard.

Attachments

• Zephyr transom.jpg
    Zephyr transom.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Dinghy on trailer.jpg
    Dinghy on trailer.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 57
It's a multi step process, you completely tilt up the engine, then I rotate the bracket/engine over (basically on its side at this point as the boat is still in the water. Then pull boat up and then lower engine back from full tilt.

The biggest issue is pulling the boat up, we (and I do mean we) have a system, but based on your personal strength and help you have or don't have you may have to go with some electrical winch setup.

I will say this Weaver is a great company to work with, their is mulitple pieces to this setup which they will help you with from bracket on transom to standoffs etc. Give them a call.

I purchased a dinghy on Monday and may need to rethink the outboard swivel mount since the transom is inset more than the offset of the tilt bracket by adventure marine. It looks like the outboard will not be set back enough to get past the tubes on rotation. Can anyone provide advice on this? The weaver leaver looks like a viable option? The ultimate goal is to be able to rotate the dinghy and outboard for travel without removing and storing a 100lb outboard.

Yes that is the one we have, and I agree "a very good system".

There's a Weaver product for this too, called a Weaver Leaver. I have one, along with the snap davits and standoffs. A very good system for my hard dinghy.:thumb:

OK that makes sense, by tilting the outboard first it then clears the tubes and does not need more standoff/setback. Does anyone have any idea what the weaver piece in the middle could have been for? It says St Croix on it and is slightly larger than the other 2. Buying through a broker creates a huge disconnect in information from seller to buyer for questions like this.

Attachments

• 20180404_093435.jpg
    20180404_093435.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 51
Would only be a guess, but could be a removable brace the raft leans up against or some light removable winch on a stand.... guessing on my part.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom