Any lawyers out thar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, and the trigger for boat owner A's own coverage, including liability insurance for damage to the property of others, isn't negligence, it's simply whether the condition triggering coverage was sudden, accidental, and occurred within the period covered by the policy. One reason insurance exists is because people have accidents, behave stupidly, and produce unintended consequences, eg., run out of gas, lose way, get picked up by the tide, and slam into Donald Trump's yacht. You might feel like a gormless chump, but your insurance probably has you covered.

Spot on.

The only thing I can think of that would cause the insurance's liability coverage not to pay out on boat B is if the fire was intentionally set by the owner. That being said boat owner B still may have to file suit to get the insurance company to consider the claim. If B files suit against A then they have to investigate and consider the claim.

What do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

If you would have said 1000 I would have said a good start, but I don't know what 100 would be. Honorable mention maybe?

It's fun to talk and joke about lawyers (I have several in my family) until you need one. Then they are the smartest, nicest, most honorable saints on earth.

Have you seen this on the east coast!

Do you know how to tell if it is cold outside?

It's fun to talk and joke about lawyers (I have several in my family) until you need one. Then they are the smartest, nicest, most honorable saints on earth.

If they were the smartest, nicest and most honorable saints, they would not be lawyers, And if they were, they would never win a case.

Oh I would assume that beyond damages to the other boat there is damage to the marina, and environmental costs to contend with also.

PS- If anyone wanted to order a TF shirt time is quickly running out. PM me if interested, don't hijack this thread.

Greetings,
Mr. NM. "...don't hijack this thread." Um...the lawyer thread or the T-shirt thread?

Chloe_Moretz.gif

Last edited:
What do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start?

Why won't sharks bite lawyers? Professional courtesy.:rofl:

But when you need an attorney, they look really nice all of a sudden:smitten:

Wrapping up...

OK, friends, to wrap this up:
1. Have enough insurance on your own boat so that if it sinks, catches fire, or is otherwise destroyed, you have enough money to replace your boat. This should cover your boat, dinghy, electronics and other boat-specific gear you have.
2. Have enough personal property coverage to replace all of your other "stuff" that you keep on the boat.
3. Have a million dollars of liability coverage and make sure your pollution/spill coverage is maxed out.
4. You already have a Personal Liability Umbrella, right? If not, have a chat with your agent, or a good agent. :)
5. Make sure you can live with your deductible. A $2,000 deductible will lower the cost of your insurance but it won't be too helpful if you have a $2,000 claim to file and not enough money to pay for the repair yourself.
6. Please read your policy and understand what the coverage limits are and what exclusions are written in. I have looked at about eight different comapnies' policies and every single one is different. This is a very different beast than car insurance, for example.

OK, friends, to wrap this up:
1. Have enough insurance on your own boat so that if it sinks, catches fire, or is otherwise destroyed, you have enough money to replace your boat. This should cover your boat, dinghy, electronics and other boat-specific gear you have.
2. Have enough personal property coverage to replace all of your other "stuff" that you keep on the boat.
3. Have a million dollars of liability coverage and make sure your pollution/spill coverage is maxed out.
4. You already have a Personal Liability Umbrella, right? If not, have a chat with your agent, or a good agent. :)
5. Make sure you can live with your deductible. A $2,000 deductible will lower the cost of your insurance but it won't be too helpful if you have a $2,000 claim to file and not enough money to pay for the repair yourself.
6. Please read your policy and understand what the coverage limits are and what exclusions are written in. I have looked at about eight different comapnies' policies and every single one is different. This is a very different beast than car insurance, for example.

My lawyer friend suggested that you add this item:

7. Make sure you have a $5,000 retainer with your lawyer.:hide:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom