Thompson Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepper8115

Looking for anyone out there that has any history with the 34 Thompson. I am looking at a 1977 with newer yanmars and a fairly new generator. Should I be wary of such an old hull?

Is that the one listed in New Smyrna Beach? I've had my eyes on that for a while. I believe it's been listed for over a year. Thompson built commercial hulls. They then expanded into yachts with the 44. I had never seen a 34 until this ad appeared. I believe the hulls are solid glass and are heavily built. Needless to say a survey would be appropriate, but the age of the hull would not bother me if it checked out at survey. Love the 14-1/2 ft beam on that baby.

Greetings,
I think Thompson made 5 or 6 that were 51'ers. One is/was advertized on TF. Weird shape to the sheer line to my eye. Yup, the 51' is still for sale on TF. $49K

There is a TF member who has a Thompson 44' and thinks very highly of his boat and claims it was the last 44' built. Can't remember his handle but it is something like Captain Darrell. He knows a lot of the history of the company and its boats but I don't recall a 34' model. The Thompson factory was in Titusville which is just down the Indian River from New Smyrna Beach.

I know it sounds trite..but be wary of a bad hull versus an old hull...the two issues aren't directly related.

Even a good old hull can have bad structural members if you look at stringers and such separately.

I also wish I had a dollar for every time somebody claims a boat or even worse, their boat, is built like a tank.

Most aren't built any better than any other boat as most still have an Achilles heel or two.

Last edited:
Many year and model Tollycraft have no wood whatsoever in thick hand laid hull, transom, and stringers. Our 1977 34' tri Tolly cabin included. That was one important reason we purchased her. There are other positive reasons also.

Regarding Tolly hulls... having seen 1" to 1.5" thick hand laid, well saturated core samples from thru-hull valves and bow thrusters and not ever seeing a meaningful blister... I could say these now older/classic hulls are basically built like a tank.

Superstructure is good too but there are certain foibles that need to be cared for and occasionally repaired if let go too long. Nothing too tough to accomplish though, as long as items/situations are not neglected for decades.

I wish I had more experience with Tollycraft boats...just not many where I boat.

I will say even my Albin has 1 to 1.5 inch hand laid hull thickness...as many older boats I have worked on.

Newer glassing techniques and engineering have shown where thick overly rich glass hulls aren't needed or optimal.

I read not too long ago that some vessel's stringers are really just the glass structure and the wood inside was just a form and not necessary for hull integrity....wish I could remember the source to link it if I could.

I can vouch for that as the stringers in my assistance towboat turned to brown water years ago and the boat endures far more punishment than in recreational use.

It's nice to believe your boat is everything it should be...you could be betting your life on it.

Thompson trawlers enjoy the reputation of being built to commercial standards....can't really say that is all that good or not...having seen a lot of lacking commercial builds. The dockmaster at Barefoot Landing Marina in Myrtle Beach has one I believe...looked OK but I didn't go through her as a pre-purchase survey...he loved her!

Last edited:
Hi,
Just curious as to what you thought of the boat and whether you made an offer on it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom