Varnish Non-skid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fryedaze

Guru
Vessel Name
Fryedaze
Vessel Make
MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
I have been worried about slipping on the steps that enter my salon. Ever since I re-finished the floor it’s a real risk if it gets wet or your feet are wet. I did some research and decided to try some Clear Grip non slip additive on the steps. The floor finish is a Rustoleum gloss polyurethane flooring product. I masked off the step and added a few tablespoons of the Clear Grip to 4 oz of the finish. It looks like it’s going to work well and doesn’t detract from the look of the steps.

Attachments

• SDC13595.jpg
    SDC13595.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 131
  • SDC13592.jpg
    SDC13592.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 136
  • SDC13599.jpg
    SDC13599.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 118
  • SDC13597.jpg
    SDC13597.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 161
Dave it looks good . I've never heard of it . I guess you can mix whatever amount you want to get the grip you want ? Good idea and looks better than the stick on pads .

A few years back my son gave me a can of clear, spray on non-skid. Min wax I think.

Light coat and worked well for interior use, may be OK exterior..but not sure if aggressive enough for most boaters.

Dave it looks good . I've never heard of it . I guess you can mix whatever amount you want to get the grip you want ? Good idea and looks better than the stick on pads .

I actually was in the process of cutting that black non-skid tape when I thought " this is going to look like crap after a season or two". I researched a few boat forums and came up with two products. This was the cheaper option.

Some folks will search out Gym varnish or bowling alley varnish , which does better when wet.

OK makes sense, show us the results if you don't mind, curious how it comes out.

Not sure what you’re asking Mike. The finished product is the pictures above. I put the steps back on the boat yesterday and they worked great with my snow covered Dockers. Fryedaze cant wait for spring.
Dave

Attachments

• SDC13600.jpg
    SDC13600.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 92
  • SDC13606.jpg
    SDC13606.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 91
  • SDC13609.jpg
    SDC13609.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 104
  • SDC13602.jpg
    SDC13602.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 91
Up, my bad, look so good in the picture I missed it, really nice work, thanks for sharing!

I'll be redoing my steps next month. This looks like a perfect product for that. Thanks for sharing.

BTW - I LOVE the look of your boat in the snow. I'm also in the process of having just about the exact same flybridge enclosure setup made. Looks great from this angle.

Ken

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom