Webasto 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harbor Nights

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
43 Ocean Tri-cabin w/Cummins V555
Hello we are switching out the forced air diesel since it is starting to die after 25 years. The replacement unit will be the webasto 2010 hydronic.

We are wondering. How many of you use this heater while not on the boat?

I was thinking of running the unit at a low temp setting like 45deg instead of using the electric heaters. The cost of running the electric and or the heater should be about the same. I am figuring the heater will run about 40 hours a month that is based on what the forced air heater would run monthly.
The other reason behind this is the boat and dock only has a single 30amp power. (Not able to add additional outlets)

We dont winterize the boat as we are at the boat 4 or 5 times a week and live about 20 minutes away. When the cold arrives we check the boat daily.

What do hydronic heater users do?

Are you sure?I have had a Webasto 2020 water-heater and found it extremely noisy and thirsty.

I used to have one of those, and it was, without a doubt the least reliable piece of gear on the boat. I switched to a Kabola, which is a much nicer piece of gear. It is quiet, has a cool exhaust and a much simpler design.

Even so, I do not run that when I am not on the boat. On the advise of Lars at Marinetec, I installed an electric element in the heating loop. The Kabola pump then circulates the water that is heated electrically. (I do have a 50 amp 120 Volt boat, which helps.)

In any case, the motors on the Webasto are not designed for continuous duty. I would not advise running one unattended.

Last edited:
I have a 2010 as one of my heat sources. Haven't had much problem with it, but it is thirsty and uses too much power when your out anchored. I don't know this for sure but I've heard that my marina does not want heaters to be left on while the boat is unattended, which makes sense to me. So you might want to check if your marina allows you to do that. Just curious, what makes you think you need to have heat, I've been boating for the past 16 years out of Sidney and never drained anything or left a heater on. I have a solar fan that keeps the air fresh and dry in the boat and that works perfectly.

I have a Wabasto and like it a lot. Can't remember the model but I think it's a 2000 .. an "Airtop 2000". It's the smallest model they offer.

We've had fuel delivery problems. Just a bubble of air in the line can cause it to quit. I have a handle on it now and am redoing the whole fuel system. Also I'm not running diesel fuel any more on the advise of Sure Marine .. where we bought the Wabasto almost 10 years ago. Kerosene from here on. I now have a dedicated fuel tank, supply line and pump whereas I previously tapped off the engine supply manifold.

As to operating the Wabasto while away from the boat ... we did that regularly. However we know the Wabasto isn't for continuos duty. We would do things like going up town in Ketchikan or running the heater all night on one extremely cold night to work in concert w the electric heaters. If we we're invited to spend the night at a friends house (out of town) we would not be worried about the safety of the Wabasto .. left alone. I'd consider a typical electric heater more dangerous and we've done that quite a bit. If we were going out of town for a week we'd turn off the Wabasto however. And if we were live-aboards we wouldn't run the Wabasto in port on a regular basis.

Our Wabasto is a little bit too small to keep our boat toasty warm at freezing temps and below. A lot of the reason is that our Willard has no insulation at all and we've been in Alaska. May be fine in Washington state .. where we are now.

You cannot compare a Webasto DBW 2010 - 2020 with an Airtop 2000 the only thing they have in common is that it are both Webasto Heaters the rest is Apples and Pears

CeesH

Last edited:
In any case, the motors on the Webasto are not designed for continuous duty. I would not advise running one unattended.

We have one on board our Ocean Alexander... it recently quit so I called up Sure Marine as they are the rep for webasto here in Seattle. They told me that more than likely the fan was shot.. it has 750 hours on it since new.. the cost of the fan is almost $800! for fan unit that looks like it should cost $50. So far I like the way it works but I'm not impressed with its reliability. I did take the unit completely apart since I was troubleshooting it and it was squeaky clean inside
Hollywood

Harbor Nights

Why do you need to routinely run a diesel heater in Olympia when you are not on the vessel? Our vessel is about 100 miles north of you and all we do is run 6 100 watt "dry heaters" and a 600 watt oil radiator in the ER. Works just fine for when we are not there. If temps below say 25 at night (rare) we have our boat watcher turn on the hydronic diesel heater, a very rare happening.

If you need reliable heat ,esp for a liveaboard a furnace designed for that use is a far better idea than a truck heater.

With a small boat the Dickinson (or their competition) required no electric.

All the air units will require big electric to move the air , the hydronic is better but damn hard to retrofit.

Although I haven't used the Webasto in a boat, I have used them for many years in motorhomes. I traveled winter and summer (spent many a winter night or more in the Rockies.

I also never winterized my motorhomes (living in Maryland with very cold winters, down to zero at times) and let the Webasato unit run for 3 months multiple years without problem. BTW, my cost for ROAD diesel would average about $100 per winter (3 months keeping the RV at 50 or above). I also left my generator on to power things with auto start and 6 4D house batteries.

The Webasto's I used were integrated into a hydronic system by Aqua Hot.

I guess I am saying is the Webasto, with proper maintenance does a great job. Not inexpensive, but very reliable for me in the past.

Have had a Webasto T-90 for five years and really like it. It's smaller than th OPs unit but heats my 36 foot uninsulated trawler fine in San Diego. Also produces unlimited hot water. I have had zero problems burning diesel. Bought it from Sure Marine in Seattle great people to work with even post-sale.

We have a 2010 webasto. Ran it 24/7 for 15+ years when where a full time live a board even when we were not on the boat for weeks at a time. Now we are winter snow birds and heat the boat by electricity as the marina does not allow heating with the webasto when away for long periods of time.

The webosto was very reliable but we had it serviced every year with quick reliable service. The webasto is the main reason we been a full time live a board for 17 years as it kept the entire boat dry and warm with very little condensation.

However ckeck with marina and insurance. I installed a Boatnanny security system that monitors the bilge pumps, heat in bilge, heat in the salon, AC and DC electric, motion and sound in the salon. If an alarm goes on it sends me a text message with in seconds and text total status every day, and I can request a status. I do have the boat physical check weekly

Wallis! Quite, Stingy on fuel burn, very low power demand. Easy self installed.
Check them out, great dealer, two brothers who give the best in any question or assistance regarding distant self installations.

scanmarineusa.com

Al-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska

To answer some questions.
The cost is about the same to run heater or electric. To run charger, refer, extreme bilge heater 600 watts and 4 dehumidifers at 100 watts is still a fair amount of ac power used. ($60 per month) When you add it all up that is lots of contunious power on a shorepower cord.

Thought about going with an espar d8lc witch would be as close to a replacement to the d7lc as one can find but the cost of it is 90% of switching to the 2010.

The wallas is to small as is the at55500. Cost to put 2 units is more than the 2010. Fuel usage and dc power would be close to the 2010.

The 2010 would be from sure marine as i like the wire system from them and like the high only mods they make.

As for noise. With the muffler and longish exhaust it should be quiter than most. Also i think that if i have enough water in the system. It will not short cycle thus being more effecient. So adding buffer tanks in a smaller size and more than one will produce even heat.

The question of why heat the boat was asked. Im on the boat almost daily so it is nice to have some heat but i did say that keeping the unit around 45 is what i was thinking of. Maybe 50. Plus its also a great freeze backup should the ac go out during a cold snap or if a circuit should pop.

" Plus its also a great freeze backup should the ac go out during a cold snap or if a circuit should pop."

In the NE USA marina power can be lost for a week or more.

If used as a back up to electric there will only be battery power.

A day perhaps.

Install a low voltage cut off , to keep the unit from destrioying the house batts , after a power failure.

Originally installed as we had 120 volts 30 amps. Not enough to heat the boat. Now in dead of winter we use 120 volts 20 amps. We installed a new fan/blower in the 2010 ands it does not wine and is very quiet I like the original noise so I could hear, know what the was doing.

Dock has 240 volts 50 amp, so had another electrical panel install just for 3 additial heater for when we are not on the boat for long period. They electric does not keep the entirer boat was dry warm as the Webosto. When on the boat we use the webosto as primary and electric secondary. When off the boat electric is primary and webaso is srcondary.

Also the 2010 15 years ago was the only unit that could heat the entirer boat, 110, 000 btu

You cannot compare a Webasto DBW 2010 - 2020 with an Airtop 2000 the only thing they have in common is that it are both Webasto Heaters the rest is Apples and Pears

CeesH

Reiziger,
I think you should drop "CeesH" from your posts as it clearly means "gee you idiots" ... not very flattering to anybody.

Compare? You refer to post #5 obviously and I compared nothing to nothing.

Last edited:
Reiziger,
I think you should drop "CeesH" from your posts as it clearly means "gee you idiots" ... not very flattering to anybody.

Compare? You refer to post #5 obviously and I compared nothing to nothing.

????? just my name, size 13+?

CeesH

Reiziger,
Oh sorry.
But how are we supposed to know.
To almost everybody it means something else that is not flattering.
Your choice.

I have had Webasto hydronic systems on 3 boats. I did not find them to be noisy (the furnace was in the engine room) nor particularly thirsty. In cold weather (freezing or near freezing) we would leave it on a low setting when not aboard. The only caution I have is you may want to consider either a separate start battery or a more robust house battery bank if that's the battery bank you intend to hook it to. They are sensitive to volt/amp drops.

FF and Poach and Phil

I will be using the 2010 from suremarine. I like the board they supply with all the heaters. It works well. We had one on the AT5000.

Will look into the low cutout And voltage drop talked about.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom