PSS dripless stuffing box system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollipop

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kia Mae
Vessel Make
1979 Prairie CC 36
We have two of the PSS systems on our boat and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. I pulled both rudders and plan to go back with the Gore GFO packing in them. These PSS systems also need some attention and I don't know whether to scrap them and go all GFO or put kits in them.

Last edited:
Have PSS shaft seals on both my boats now and have been very happy with the one on my charter boat for the last 10+ years. It would be a good idea to replace the rubber boots and the 2 orings in hub that is mounted on the shafts. If there is a lot of crude on the hub face, I wet scrub it with a scotchbrite pad and water. Best way to get the hub on the shaft moving is to remove the 4 set screws (2 in each hole) and squirt some dish washing soap in the hole and on the shaft in front of the hub. Then move the hub forward and backward or rotate it on the shaft. This lubricates the orings and will allow you to move the hub relatively easily forward off the end of the shaft. You may need to add more soap in front of the hub as you go. Think PSS sells a service kit that includes the rubber boot, 2 orings, and the 4 set screws.

Ted

Have them in our assistance towboat fleet..take a licking and keep on ticking.

Not to say they are I destructible or maintenance free...just not a big deal.

But then again .....neither are traditional stuffing boxes with modern packing materials.

Lollipop

I'm happy with our two PSS systems, I can only echo what Ted and psneeld say.

I think this boat was built with them...There is no way to switch to traditional packing without major changes...I will be ordering the kits tomorrow and the GFO packing for the rudders...trying to get it wet ASAP and keep it in for years to come... I do not think the rudders or shafts have been out since 1979.

I think this boat was built with them...There is no way to switch to traditional packing without major changes...I will be ordering the kits tomorrow and the GFO packing for the rudders...trying to get it wet ASAP and keep it in for years to come... I do not think the rudders or shafts have been out since 1979.

Have PSS seals been around for 36 years?

Greetings,
Mr. L. MY opinion only. If at ALL possible, go with the traditional stuffing box. I personally don't like the drip-less systems. Not through any direct experience but just the idea of the whole ocean being held out of our vessel by a single neoprene membrane. Yes, there are countless thousands of these devices in use and probably an equal number of satisfied customers but the bellows have the potential of breaking and allowing large volumes of water into your vessel with no way of stemming the flow AND maintaining way. Maintenance of the traditional stuffing boxes is basically no maintenance other than adjusting every so often. I do "shoot" them with the IR thermometer fairly regularly. I had our stuffing boxes re-packed with GFO about 8 years ago and I don't anticipate the necessity of ever having them repacked in my lifetime.

Greetings,
Mr. L. MY opinion only. If at ALL possible, go with the traditional stuffing box. I personally don't like the drip-less systems. Not through any direct experience but just the idea of the whole ocean being held out of our vessel by a single neoprene membrane. Yes, there are countless thousands of these devices in use and probably an equal number of satisfied customers but the bellows have the potential of breaking and allowing large volumes of water into your vessel with no way of stemming the flow AND maintaining way. Maintenance of the traditional stuffing boxes is basically no maintenance other than adjusting every so often. I do "shoot" them with the IR thermometer fairly regularly. I had our stuffing boxes re-packed with GFO about 8 years ago and I don't anticipate the necessity of ever having them repacked in my lifetime.

Where is this large volume of water entering the shaft tube? The cutlass bearing holder may have 2 small vents in front of the cutlass bearing and there is a little space between the cutlass bearing and the shaft. Can't imagine one or two of my bilge pumps not being able to easily handle that. Don't get me wrong, I don't take this lightly, but this ain't nothing compared to a raw water hose failure. Had a hose clamp fail in front of my heat exchanger. My Cummins C does over 50 gallons a minute through the raw water pump. :eek: Definition of ugly: When the second bilge pump light comes on!

Ted

Anyone have the Volvo ones? I found some positive chat about them on Cruisers Forum, but none here.
Just pulled out a bent shaft. On the boat that is, not mine. Major indicator was wearing out gland packing, fast. Shaft was bent, to the naked eye. Toyed with fitting a dripless seal, Volvo sounded good, but think I`ll stick with the conventional, the stbd one never leaks, even after years.

RT Firefly, I agree completely...There are no logs on this application. There are two cutlass stands and the 1 1/2 " shaft go through a tunnel configuration so the shafts are perpendicular to the area where they exit the hull. The fitting is approximately 2 1/2" ID and the flex hose fits over this fitting. The only thing keeping the sea on the outside, is the pressure of the flex tube holding the carbon against the SS disc on the shaft. Kinda Scary...but has been like this since 1979 I think...I know what you mean OC Diver, if there was an original type log, but there is over 1.5 square inches of opening on each shaft that is only sealed by the pressure of the flex hose. May look around for another solution...

Pss

Had Boatyards most of my life, and we've fitted many of them. Excellent engineering, just go with the service kits as a previous post suggested.
Ensure if fitted injection hose etc is free and clean. make sure you "burp" them when launching to avoid airlocks if no injection hose (for higher speeds) fitted.

Also keep an eye on for a few hours while they 'run in". Follow the instructions from the manufacturer (tension on mating surfaces). The manufacturer PYI Inc is a great company to deal with and give great support.

Heartily recommend them!

Had Boatyards most of my life, and we've fitted many of them. Excellent engineering, just go with the service kits as a previous post suggested.
Ensure if fitted injection hose etc is free and clean. make sure you "burp" them when launching to avoid airlocks if no injection hose (for higher speeds) fitted.

Also keep an eye on for a few hours while they 'run in". Follow the instructions from the manufacturer (tension on mating surfaces). The manufacturer PYI Inc is a great company to deal with and give great support.

Heartily recommend them!

Martin, sounds like you know what the dripless business is about. Thanks. How thick is the ice on Lake Dillon?

Boats can sink with conventional or with drippless, all comes down to maintenance. This reminds me when people would say turbo's were major failure points, all an evolution.

Have them now for 15 years, excellent.

This is something I've toyed with but never went forward with because of not being being able to replace if a problem develops without hauling the boat.

This is something I've toyed with but never went forward with because of not being being able to replace if a problem develops without hauling the boat.

I have the Tides Marine dripless seal which is a lip seal.
This can be changed without hauling the boat as long as you pre-assemble a spare on the shaft at time of installation.
My Albin is the second boat that I have installed this seal system on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom