View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #1
captgrail
Veteran Member

City: California
Vessel Model: 36 Krogen Manatee
Fuel pump lift on Volvo Penta

Hi Folks,
Wondering if anyone has had to replace there engines fuel lift pump? I have a TMD30A. I just changed the secondary filter and went to bleed it the lever seemed really loose and I've had a hard time getting the fuel to really run out of the bleed screw. I don't remember it ever being that loose, if anything it was stiff and I had to turn the crankshaft to get off the cam. I need to take the filter off again and see how much fuel is actually in it but it is kind of a PITA as there isn't much clearance. My thought was that maybe the diaphragm gave out? Volvo used to offer a kit but now references a new fuel lift pump and fuel lines as well. I found an aftermarket kit that sierra makes and ordered it. Other folks I've talked to suggested adding a 12 volt pump but not sure that is really necessary.

So while I wait for the part I wondered if any of you guys have experienced this issue or have replaced or serviced your lift pump? I'd also appreciate any insights to bleeding the injectors and if you feel it is necessary after a secondary filter change. Last time I had a mechanic do it while at haulout but I was the one in the pilot house turning over the engine so I didn't really see what he was doing. I have also read there might be other bleed screws but I don't see any in my Volvo manuals. I change the Racor filter frequently but have never had to bleed it or had issues starting it up afterwards.

Thanks for any feedback.
captgrail is offline   Reply With Quote