Why a Mainship?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liquid Living

Hi All:

I am*soon to be in the market for a pre-owned trawler and*would like*to compare.

So. . . . .

What made you decide to buy a Mainship*rather than some other brand?*

We picked Mainship ( a 2003 390 ) for a couple of reasons.
1) we wanted a Eurosedan style boat with a protected cockpit and wide sidedecks
2) did not want exposed teak. Even though it looks good, it requires a lot of maintenance
3) wanted a walk around berth in the master cabin, plus a guest stateroom
4) there were about 500 of these built from 1998 to 2004 so we were able to look at several to make comparisons.
5) because they are US made, the quality from boat to boat is pretty consistant
6) wanted steps to the flybridge rather than a ladder
7) you get a lot of boat for the money

John

johnma wrote:

We picked Mainship ( a 2003 390 ) for a couple of reasons.
1) we wanted a Eurosedan style boat with a protected cockpit and wide sidedecks
2) did not want exposed teak. Even though it looks good, it requires a lot of maintenance
3) wanted a walk around berth in the master cabin, plus a guest stateroom
4) there were about 500 of these built from 1998 to 2004 so we were able to look at several to make comparisons.
5) because they are US made, the quality from boat to boat is pretty consistant
6) wanted steps to the flybridge rather than a ladder
7) you get a lot of boat for the money

John
I agree with what John said.* We picked the next generation of the 390 (which started life as a 350)*for similar reasons.* The 2004-2009 34t's have a galley down (where the 390 has a second stateroom)*and a more open Salon as a result of the galley down.* We also have (as does the 390) a large head with a real shower.*As someone else has said we can party 8-10, dine 6 and sleep two (4 if need be), and that is what we want.

The quality on my boat is really good for the cost of the boat.* Do I see things I would have liked to be of better quality, sure.* But for the most part the value for the dollar is there.* When I find something I don't think is up to par I just replace it if it isn't an expensive item or I'll wait until it quits working*and then replace it with better quality at that time.

I might add I think it is one of the best bangs for the buck out there.* Are there better boats?* Sure but at more than half again as*expensive.

-- Edited by JD on Monday 1st of November 2010 09:16:31 AM

-- Edited by JD on Monday 1st of November 2010 04:19:17 PM

JD wrote:"I might add I think it is one of the best bangs for the buck out there.* Are there better boats?* Sure but at more the half again expensive."
Couldn't agree more!

fuel efficiency & huge volume on the flybridge is a plus point. We currently own the 1st mainship in South East Asia( Singapore) & have found the Mainship 40 ( year 2005) a good boat. you may view our yacht at www.KairosBoats.com

Thanks for the input. We are looking for a spacious liveaboard boat without spending hugh money. Each time I do my research I keep coming back to the Mainship 390. I love the large flybridge and the interior layout.. That's where we would spend much of our time.

-- Edited by Liquid Living on Monday 15th of November 2010 11:46:45 AM

LL.

Don't rule out the 2004-2009 34ts.* Bigger Salon and much the same Flybridge.

In 1990 I bought a 1978 Maniship model I.
I wanted a single screw diesel and I was very hesitant to be serious about the Mainship mainly because it was a*10 knot boat. However we analysed our boating use and decided much of it was no wake zones so we agreed to look at one that was upriver from us in Mystic.
We scheduled that for a monday, but sinday night th eowner said he couldn't be there but the key was located...so go ahead and get aboard and look.
So we did.
We loved the open layout, the cockpit space and the extended flybridge over the cockpit,* the down east styling and the galley down.*
We both said "this is the one" when we first went thru the salon door. So I guess it was love at first sight.
And the onwer's name was Jack Morgan so we told everyone we bought the boat from Captain Morgan (and it was true). LOL

Also*the name on the boat was ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT (and we were smart enough to keep it).

Anyway we kept the boat for 14 years, joined some owners groups, started a local owner's group (we still hold the Mainship group record for largest raftup) and made so many Mainship friends I would not have gone any other way.
We only changed because we needed to "grow" and the 350/390s were out of our price range.

So perhaps this post is not pertinent to the boat hunter who asked but*here it is.

Happy hunting

Please let us know what you are looking for in a boat ?
How big do you need your boat to be ?

How much do you want to spend ?

Where you plan go go?

How old are you ?

How much boat experience do you have ?

We are now on our 2 nd Mainship

Donald & Mavis

-- Edited by SOMERS on Thursday 27th of January 2011 09:52:35 AM

Back
Top Bottom