Need Curly Cord for VHF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seasalt007

Guru
Vessel Name
Aweigh
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
I have two Raymarine 230 handset type VHF's with badly disintegrating curly cords. This is the one that looks like a older cell phone where you have the keyboard, mic and speaker all in a hand held unit.

Raymarine wants almost more than the cost of new units to install new cords.

Does anyone have a solution or where I might get it fixed for a reasonable price?

Attachments

• radio.jpg
    radio.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 709
I'd be interested in hearing the answer too.

I have a 10-year-old JRC VHF (I think they made them for Raytheon before it was Raymarine) that did the same thing. The outer insulation became brittle and split in multiple locations.

I'm not sure about the Ray 230 but I just rec'd & installed a new cord for a Ray 215.
See thread CORD for Raymarine 215 VHF post #16 where I've posted pics of the internals - it was a simple plug connection inside the mic. I special ordered the new cord through my local West Marine store and it was around $45.
I got the Ray part # from the Ray technical forum.
BTW - I also contacted Boat US consumer support to try to get Ray to replace these but they hid behind their warranty unlike iCom which have agreed to replace detiorating cords on units out of warranty.
I have recently written to Ray just to inform them I intended to spread the word re: their lack of support for a defective product. I'm now an iCom fan.

Bacchus,

Thanks for reminding me of the previous posts. Unfortunately the 230 is different than a cord that has a screw on plug at the radio end and a small internal plug on the mike. My picture is of the handset. It is wired to the radio itself which is located in a closet. The second handset on the bridge comes in here too as does the antenna. Both cords are shot.

After I read the initial posts I went to West and was told they could not get it. I cannot remember the Ray part number off hand. Would you know where I could find it without calling them?

Last edited:
Just bought two for my Icoms. I think around $30.00 ea. on the internet. Google is your friend.

seasalt
Search turned up the following on the Ray Tech Forum

"The Raymarine Part Number for the Ray230 Mic Cord is: R49085"

I can't verify that that # is correct - I have seen some conflicting part # info there - I had to go back to the moderator to get confirmation on my # as I saw 2 posts w/ different #'s given.
If available they will replace if you send the unit in or send you the part to DIY. You might want to pull the unit(s) apart just to see if it's soldered or plug in.
Like I said, mine was a plug in inside the mic and pretty simple to replace.

Here's another LINK to that part # w/ a photo - again no guarantee the photo is the actual part but it does look to be a 3-way connection - mic - box - 2nd mic? One end looks ;ole identical plug as the one to my Ray 215 Mic

Good luck

I'm waiting on a response from Icom. Our IC-M802 cord is shot after 7 years and it's not a sun issue. A new cable is ~$70. The cable on our IC-M125 is like new after 20 plus years. Who can figure? I'll post what Icom says.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 476
Larry
The following was found in the BoatUS Consumer Protection Database under ICOM -(You need to be a Boat US member to access the database) - but it looks like ICOM is standing behind their products vs Raytheon which is HIDING behind their warranty - no action for out of warranty

Date: 2/11/2013

State:

Company: ICOM America, Inc.

Product/Model: VHF M-602 (microphone #HM-136B), HF Marine M-802 (microphone HM-135) and Command Microphone HM-127B, (OTHER MODELS MAY BE AFFECTED)

Product/Model Year: Various

Complaint:
If someone owns an ICOM product with a microphone who's cable/cord's protective jacket is crumbling or peeling off in chunks, they should contact ICOM America, Inc. at the contact information below.

Complaint Resolution:
Icom Technical Support on 2/11/13 said that if anyone has a microphone cable that is crumbling, they should send the cable and microphone to them at the address below and fill out their form online (make a copy for yourself) and if ICOM finds that if the microphone is fine but the cable is bad they will replace the cable regardless of whether the product is still under warranty. ICOM Contact information: Attached is the repair submission form for their Icom Marine mics. Service My Product - Icom America Thank you, Harry Dhawan Land Mobile Technical Support Representative ICOM America, Inc. 2380 116th Ave. NE Bellevue, WA 98004

Larry...it looks like ICOM is standing behind their products...ICOM Contact information: Attached is the repair submission form for their Icom Marine mics. Service My Product - Icom America Thank you, Harry Dhawan Land Mobile Technical Support Representative ICOM America, Inc. 2380 116th Ave. NE Bellevue, WA 98004

Don: Thanks for the info. It's nice to see a manufacturer who recognizes they have an issue and hasn't forgotten about us, the customer.

Bacchus,

Thanks for the link to the photo. That's it. The parts for sale there include an extension cord which I don't thank that I need.

I can see where the plug inside the hand set would be pretty easy. It is the other end of the curly cord that is in a junction box with three wires coming out. One wire is the other end of the curly cord going in and the other two go to the extension cords and on to the radio. I took the junction box apart a few minutes ago and everything inside looked to be above my pay grade.

seasalt
I'm only guessing but photo looks like it comes as a complete unit...
Junction block w/ 3 cords - each w/ a plug - shouldn't be all that difficult to replace.

My Raymatine radio is suffering from the same disease. I've never been a big fan of Raymarine products. From the sounds of it I'll be replacing the unit with a ICOM product.

Bacchus,

It is a complete unit. One of the three is the end of the curly cord, one goes a very short distance to a plug and the other one is long. I have not crawled under my bridge console far enough to see where the end of the long one is. It looks to be about 12' long. I hope it does not disappear into a wire run. I have got to wonder why they would put one short wire and one long wire. Why not put two short ones that one could unplug? The 12' wire is not long enough to reach the radio itself.

Brbill
"I'll be replacing the unit with a ICOM product"

That's my ultimate plan when needed. This is my first (and last) experience w/ Ray products as they came w/ my boat. I have written back to Ray expressing my disappointment in their hiding behind warranty period when they clearly have a quality problem with a key piece of marine safety equipment. I'll never buy a Ray VHF!!

Seasalt

" I have got to wonder why they would put one short wire and one long wire."

Have you checked your or searched the Ray site for manual for your radio?
I have found both installation & operation manuals online for Ray products.

Here is on 230 Manual I found.

If you look at the connection diagram it shows the 3 wires... I forgot about the ext speaker... they do show a plug in extension as well. Looks like 2nd & 3rd mic's are separate cords.
You may be able to get away w/ the shorter cords alone if you can find the plugs and balance of wiring is OK.
My boat (fortunately) has many pull cords left in the wire chases which allow pulling new wires when / if req'd - just be sure to pull another or you lose the ability in the future.

Again - Good Luck

Attachments

• R230Mic.jpg
    R230Mic.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,659
Bacchus,

Now I know that the center wire goes to the external speaker which means that the wire stays on the bridge rather than diving down into the engine room and then back up to the cabinet containing the radio. Great information. I have another 230 in the main salon with the external speaker about an inch away.

I have to leave town tomorrow for a couple of weeks so I'll investigate further later.

Thanks for all the help.

...it looks like ICOM is standing behind their product...

I received this email from Icom today regarding the microphone cable for our M-802 HF radio. Thanks again Don.

> From: MaryScanlon@IcomAmerica.com
> To: lenalarry@.......com
> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 11:43:47 -0800
> Subject: FW: Sent from Icom America Website: IC-M802 Microphone Cable Crumbling
>
> For crumbling cord replacement at no charge (if that is the only problem with the microphone) please ship to one of the below service centers for replacement, whichever is closer to you.
>
> ICOM America, Inc.
> 12421 Willows Road N.E.
> Kirkland, WA 98034
> ATTN: SERVICE DEPT
> (800) 306.1380
>
> OR.............
>
> Williams Communications
> 5046 Tennessee Capital Blvd.
> Tallahassee, FL 32303
> (800) 649.5783
>
>
>
>
> Mary Scanlon KB7SDO
> Service Administrative Supervisor
>
> Icom America Inc.
> 12421 Willows Road NE
> Kirkland, WA 98034
>
> 425.450.6096 office
> maryscanlon@icomamerica.com
> Two-Way Radios - 2-Way Radios - Radios for amateur, avionics, land mobile and marine use
>
>
> We are Icom.
> Innovative People.
> Great Solutions.
>

According to the Raymarine Forum moderator the long wire goes to the VHF base station which is in the guest stateroom...a very long wire run from the bridge. Why oh why do they do this? The headset in the main salon is very close to the base station.

I'm not sure about the Ray 230 but I just rec'd & installed a new cord for a Ray 215.

See thread CORD for Raymarine 215 VHF post #16 where I've posted pics of the internals - it was a simple plug connection inside the mic. I special ordered the new cord through my local West Marine store and it was around $45.

BTW - I also contacted Boat US consumer support to try to get Ray to replace these but they hid behind their warranty unlike iCom which have agreed to replace detiorating cords on units out of warranty.

I have recently written to Ray just to inform them I intended to spread the word re: their lack of support for a defective product. I'm now an iCom fan.

Unless something has changed Icom's ram mics, by design, fail if you plug in the ram mic with the main radio turned on. I burned up two of them before I figured out what was happening. I talked with the Icom's techs at the Miami boat show three years ago and they confirmed that was the case. I went with Standard Horizon which allows for plugging and unplugging the Ram mic all day long without failure.
Just FYI.

I received this email from Icom today regarding the microphone cable for our M-802 HF radio. Thanks again Don.

> From: MaryScanlon@IcomAmerica.com
> To: lenalarry@.......com
> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 11:43:47 -0800
> Subject: FW: Sent from Icom America Website: IC-M802 Microphone Cable Crumbling
>
> For crumbling cord replacement at no charge (if that is the only problem with the microphone) please ship to one of the below service centers for replacement, whichever is closer to you.
>
> ICOM America, Inc.
> 12421 Willows Road N.E.
> Kirkland, WA 98034
> ATTN: SERVICE DEPT
> (800) 306.1380
>
> OR.............
>
> Williams Communications
> 5046 Tennessee Capital Blvd.
> Tallahassee, FL 32303
> (800) 649.5783
>
>
>
>
> Mary Scanlon KB7SDO
> Service Administrative Supervisor
>
> Icom America Inc.
> 12421 Willows Road NE
> Kirkland, WA 98034
>
> 425.450.6096 office
> maryscanlon@icomamerica.com
> Two-Way Radios - 2-Way Radios - Radios for amateur, avionics, land mobile and marine use
>
>
> We are Icom.
> Innovative People.
> Great Solutions.
>
Anyone know if this fix applies to the icom 601 family of radios? My cord is badly frayed and needs replacement.

Sea la Vie
MS 430

Anyone know if this fix applies to the icom 601 family of radios? My cord is badly frayed and needs replacement.

Sea la Vie
MS 430

Trons...
See post #9 - the iCom announcement states
"If someone owns an ICOM product with a microphone who's cable/cord's protective jacket is crumbling or peeling off in chunks, they should contact ICOM America, Inc. at the contact information below."

that post has the iCom contact info - email & phone

Thanks to all for responding. I took my mic cord to Williams Communications, and it was fixed in two days!! I dropped it off; they fed exed it back.
Mary says they have discontinued the mic so she is not sure how much longer the cords will be available.
Ron
Sea La Vie
MS430

How old was the radio? How long was the warranty? What is the difference in your mind between "defective" and "worn out"?

To the OP - I was using a buffer to wax my dash when it got into a fight with the microphone cord. The cord lost.

Standard Horizon could not supply a black cord, only a white one so I bought the white one, sprayed it with vinyl upholstery paint from the auto store and replaced it myself. It was a bit intricate but as a former electronic technician, I got it done.

You might want to see what you can buy just the part for and have a local electronic technician install it.

Last edited:
How old was the radio? How long was the warranty? What is the difference in your mind between "defective" and "worn out"?
In my case the radio was about 4 yrs old...clearly out of warranty. Also iny case the previous owner was the first owner and kept it in a covered slip. UV deterioration was beyond normal wear and tear.
Surveyor reported this was a frequent occueance w Icom and more so w Raymarine.
ICOM chose to stand behind their products acknowledging a material problem and maling good even on units out of warranty.
Raymarine chose to hide behind their warranty.
I know which I will consider for future purchases and which I will not. I value mfgrs loyalty to customers and reward them with purchases.

I replaced a badly deteriorated cord for a friend on his raymarine VHF a few years ago, it was original to the boat a 2001 SeaRay. As I remember it wasn't difficult, if you're able to solder and remember the color code locations nothing to it.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Free to good home; you pay shipping. Ray230 VHF circa 2004. Unit powered up before removal but did not receive. Might have transmitted; IDK. Base unit, 2 handsets (one appears good with good coiled cord, one seriously UV damaged), 2 remote speakers, hookup wiring harness. I could not fish the long connector from the cable tray.

I am the OP for this and never did find cords for my two 230's so I sold the boat. Now I need one curly cord for a 240 Raymarine. Same reason and same search results as before. This one looks easier to replace.

Back
Top Bottom