purchasing in europe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinped

with the exchange rate coming down,the boats for sale in Europe are becoming very enticing.i have been watching the prices of a certain line of boats for sale in Europe,and they are at least 20 percent cheaper than similar boats for sale in U.S.. I realize that the cost of shipping a 60 footer is in the ballpark of 75k,and some equipment will have to be altered,or replaced as to the 50/60 hz issue.What else is there an issue with?i have noticed some say VAT is paid,not sure what that is.Also,how much duty/tax would be due in US. thanks ahead of time

Why bother with Europe as Canadian boats are almost 25% cheaper and a lot closer to home?

VAT is Value Added Tax and it is a consumption tax somewhat similar to a sales tax. Suggest looking it up on Wikipedia as I am rather clueless how it applies to used boats.

Why bother with Europe as Canadian boats are almost 25% cheaper and a lot closer to home?

VAT is Value Added Tax and it is a consumption tax somewhat similar to a sales tax. Suggest looking it up on Wikipedia as I am rather clueless how it applies to used boats.

:thumb:

Also, unless you have money to burn, dealing with the electrical issue will be quite costly and a real PIA, unless you change all appliances on boat.

lastly if shipping is $75k, I can't see how the boat will be cheaper in the long run.

Now, if you wanted to cruise Europe for a few years first, that's a whole different story.

Lastly, the issue for VAT is that the original EU owner had to pay it and thus, that 20% in inbedded in the cost of the boat. For you it's no advantage.

The 240 vs 120 voltage issues are more important. all the 240 V wiring will be to small to handle 120V current.

ive been looking at selenes,and the the price differential is a lot more than just a few bucks,closer to 300k difference.so the 75k,is not a big hit.even if I had to invest another 20k in electrical refits,still not even.What I don't know is the import duty,sales tax issue on our side of the pond. thanks

As a non- NAFTA build, you will have to pay an import duty and federal sales tax if importing to the US or Canada or Mexico.

it appears that the import duty would be 1.5% of the sales price,which would be 10.5k.I cannot find anything on a federal tax that was mentioned.I realize that a state tax would be required.Is there such a thing as a federal sales tax?Also,all engines must comply with the federal epa standards.Not sure whether alterations would have to be made.The two boats I am looking at have,one has deeres,the other has cummins.

The key is its importing a USED boat and gets a better (lower) rate.

All the electrics will be a hassle , unless you decide to simply convert the US power pole juice to Euro power, Master volt has the unit.

You will still need to purchase Euro toys , blender or Microwave ,but that is way cheaper and safer than rewiring.

Not many yards can do the task.

$70K for delivery , when the downhill run is made easily by 20 ft sail boats?

Not many folks can blow $70K to avoid a month or two of nice cruising, with the Carib to winter in.

Should the Euro fall to a buck the deal might be worth the effort.

Good Hunting!!

Last edited:
it appears that the import duty would be 1.5% of the sales price,which would be 10.5k.I cannot find anything on a federal tax that was mentioned.

Could you register it in the Caymans on the way over (bring it over yourself). Obviously not an option if you're not close to, or planning on traveling to, other countries frequently.

Tinped

Are you internet shopping or have you actually seen this European based Selene? Until you make YOUR offer in NA on an identical Selene you will not know the true cost differential.

I am internet shopping.The boats I have been tracking have pretty much similar equipment(at least the expensive stuff,stabilizers,electronics)here is what I have been tracking.I cannot contest to the condition of the boats in Europe,but I have been on three 53's,and one 55 in the last year on the east coast.their conditions were good,but engine hours were pretty high.the Europe boats I am quoting have been converted into us dollars.

in europe - 2008 55-862000
2008 53-603000
2007 53-621000

in us - 2008 55 1,195000
2009 55 1,195000(I was on this one)
2007 53 985000

you can see the differences to why my interest is peaked.Thanks to all for your answers

Federal sales tax. Not applicable to US. Can avoid state sales tax if you pick the right state. Depending on state you may have to own boat for some period before entering the state.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 88
  • aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 91
Back
Top Bottom