• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Wanted: Trawler Wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NY Gin

Veteran Member
hey all. i currently own two beautiful cabin cruisers which we enjoy overnighters and day trips with on the long island sound. my wife and i have decided to switch gears and venture beyond our comfort zone and cruise the atlantic intracoastal and beyond. we need something spacious enough for the two of us plus two boys and three dogs. we are down with a little tlc or something fully restored. our goal is to trade one of or both of our cruisers for our new vessel to be. we could make payments on top of and possibly even throw a little cash on top.

please post or pm if you have some interest and we will discuss.

thanks for reading.

If you are serious about looking for a suitor in a deal like this, you might want to give a little more information about the "cabin cruisers". That is an awfully broad term. And my unsolicited advice would be that you would probably be better off selling them seperately and then put that money towards a trawler. You really limit your choices when you offer up a deal like that....not to mention you likely won't get what your other boats are worth. Anyway....
smile.gif

TrAwLeR WANTED!

Baker wrote:

"If you are serious about looking for a suitor in a deal like this, you might want to give a little more information about the "cabin cruisers". That is an awfully broad term. And my unsolicited advice would be that you would probably be better off selling them seperately and then put that money towards a trawler. You really limit your choices when you offer up a deal like that....not to mention you likely won't get what your other boats are worth. Anyway....
smile.gif
"

You are right. I thought I would just put the feelers out to see if there was anyone on the site that may be interested in downsizing. This economy is aweful and nobody can sell anything near what it's worth. I figure bartering and trading would be the most fair way to go. As far as my boats I have:

1) 1987 Thompson Daytona 290 - Twin screw Merc 490 190mr engines with alpha one out-drives. Custom helm which I molded and assembled myself. All new Faria gauges, all new proper electrical grade wiring, Garmin GPS/Chartplotter, open cockpit set up. 29' by reggistration, 33" long overall. 9'8" beam. Stand up head, full galley, aft cabin good for small children, closed off v birth "stateroom" for adults.

2) 2003 Rinker 270 Fiesta Vee. All options but genset. MAG 350 MPI single engine with BravoIII outdrive. Kid friendly aft cabin, little cramped v birth conversion to bed up front. Fully equipped galley, small head. I just got all new black canvas from Rinker and added a radar last season and 15" flat panel TV. 27' long and 8'4" beam.

I have tons of pics of both boats and will post some as soon as I figure out how. Both boats are totally turn key ready to go. My Rinker is getting bottom painted and new zinks added soon. The Tompson has all new fresh Interlux anti foul bottom and new zinks.

Cheers!
beer.gif

-- Edited by NY Gin on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 02:54:52 PM

-- Edited by NY Gin on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 02:55:23 PM

-- Edited by NY Gin on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 02:55:55 PM

It would be the rare trawler owner that would want to downsize to a gas powered boat. I agree with Baker- I would sell both for whatever you can get and then buy the trawler.

Good luck. Likely there is somebody out there willing to pay a fair price for that Rinker. Get on it and get it listed however you are gonna sell it. There is no better time of the year to sell a boat than right now. Everybody is coming off of a horrible Winter and Spring Fever will be serious this year. Go full boar on a selling campaign and you will likely get her sold!!! I know nothing about the Thompson BTW...

"t would be the rare trawler owner that would want to downsize to a gas powered boat. "

Not so sure that wpould be as rare as you think. I know some who have done just that.
When I'm thru with the loop in a couple ofyears I plan on downsizing, IF I stay in boating. It would not bother me to have a gas boat depending on the situation and how much I think I might use it.

It's one thing to find someone willing to trade a trawler for a fast gasser, but to find a trade scenario where the trawler or gassers are exactly what both parties want, would be impossible. Therefore, I would definitely sell your boats, and buy exactly what you want, rather than what you get offered.

NY Gin wrote:

Its like the Lotto saying ..... "You never know!"

********* Its a lot like the Lotto---- You better have a backup plan.

JohnP

Lol, that's funny!!! No back up plan needed. I am not desperate for a boat nor am I in a rush. I have 2 great boats now to enjoy. If I can't find what I am looking for with another party then I will simply cruise my Thompson down the ICW to a point south for the Winter. I am learning a lot about larger cruisers and have several possibilities lined up but like I said, no rush.

Live Simply

Sounds like a backup plan to me----and a pretty good one at that.

I am sure you know buying is easy and selling is hard.

Selling is like the Lotto-** You never Know!

JohnP

Hi Guys,
We maybe on the same page, not quite a trawler but at 1gal,kt/hr. * I have an older boat 80% restored it is on yacht world.* 1974 Hatteras Motor Yacht in*RI, Brewers brokage has it 401-884-1690, Mike Farman, survey on file,*but I am looking for a trade to 30-37 foot vessel.*
I am open to trades and cash very motivated.
3 Staterooms, 3 heads the list of new is extensive!
capt.cbc@gmail.com
the boat is in RI on land easy to see!

I got to sat Cody I think your price will not enable a sale in the near future. I don't know if you have options but if you want to get a "real" valuation I'd be glad to help, PM me if you'd like some professional advise.

I am learning a lot about larger cruisers and have several possibilities lined up but like I said, no rush.

NOW while there is still cash in your pocket is the time to purchase "Mid size Powerboats",,,Dave H.. Pascoe

There is no better book to get started , tho reading the FREE boat reviews on his web site is a good po boy start.

TrAwLeR WANTED!

Thanks for the advice! Wilco.

-- Edited by NY Gin on Monday 28th of February 2011 07:47:36 AM

" ... the 53' for $160k? I looked at the sister ship to her yesterday for an asking price of $40k "

OOps, the boat I looked at it a 53' Trojan MY, not Hatt. Sorry .......

Old Stone wrote:

Ginster - I had a 53 Hat, and don't believe there is a better layout on the planet, although it is not a Trawler by any means. If you have found one at $40K, it has to be a disaster though. Nothing on that boat will be cheap or fast to replace. But, since you have found it, if you are not interested, please let me know where it is. I would like to see this one quickly. Is it on the Sound?

Carl,

Curious...which do you like better, the 53 hatt you had or your 50 marine trader? *I have always really liked the 53 hatt- awesome liveaboard....just can't get excited about those DD's anymore for a power plant. *Truth be told though, I absolutely fell in love with the hatt 58 Yachtfish a few years ago- almost bought one but now that the market has collapsed I am glad I did not- would have been WAY upside down on that deal had I closed it. *:) *The 58 YF though....just about the perfect boat. *
smile.gif

I wonder how similar the 53 Hat is compared to the 53' Trojan?

Old Stone wrote:

Tony - Tough question. When I had the Hat she was fairly new, and never had a single problem with the power plants. Which boat would I prefer? Memories can sometimes enhance themselves, but given the engine rooms, layout, etc., I think I would go for the Hatteras. The MT is much more efficient, and serves my purposes well now. I love my MT, and hopefully won't be switching but the Hat is a lot more boat. Now I'm going to have to hop on a Hat to see if memory serves correctly.
Carl,The 53 hatt is too much boat for you. *In fact, the 50 Marine Trader is as well. *What you REALLY ought to be piloting is a very nice Monk 36. *PM me so we can work out the details of the even swap! *
biggrin.gif

A Hat 53 with a couple of 150 JohnDeere(lugger)s sounds good to me.

JohnP

Carl, I know, I know, I hear that a lot. But truly- I INSIST! haha

Ruled out the 53' Troljan MY. Its just to much boat for me at this stage. I have a 1972 Egg Harbor 38' that I inspected and really like. The owner wants a swap with my Thompson. My Thompson is 110% turn key with lots of custom one off upgrades (see pics in album) and the Egg is in very good condition for a '72 but certainly will need some lovin' and $ invested. Any opinions on the Egg 38'? I can't seem to get this out of my mind. I also can't seem to shake the "Trawler Bug" that bit me. I think a nice 36' Trawler may just be the best for me and my family. No more thoughts or concerns about going fast; I've decided to keep my Rinker 270 for that!! ;) We are really concerned more about comfort and reliability.

Thanks again for any and all input! :)

TrAwLeR WANTED!

a couple pics of my thompson. i built the custom helm.

-- Edited by NY Gin on Thursday 3rd of March 2011 09:28:45 PM

Attachments

• stb_0866.jpg
    stb_0866.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 76
  • img_0883.jpg
    img_0883.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 71
  • img_0880.jpg
    img_0880.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 71
  • img_2359.jpg
    img_2359.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 81
Gin,* The Thompson looks nice and clean and "Sellable" to me.

Think you should give trawlers a try and skip doing over another planing powerboat.

36' Sounds like a very practical size for your adventures.

All good things take time and effort!

JohnP

Thanks for the compliments John. Yes, I think I am going to focus on a Trawler 36' - 42'. To date I have only owned fiberglass boats. I am now looking into steel and wood hull options. This boat will be in the water year round. Any thoughts?

Gin,* Sooner or later most boats become neglected a bit.

People lose interest, die, run out of cash, buy another boat.

Fiberglass hulls will stand this neglect better than Wood or Steel.

Wood is often the best riding boat, and comfortable living on.

Steel is the strongest, I believe.

I have never owned a steel boat.

The wooden boats I owned in the past never worried me about rot,

but shipworms and the condition of the fasteners were of concern.

The decks and cabins rotted more than the hulls.

I think glass is good for most people.*

My 2 cents.

JohnP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom