View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 02:51 PM   #13
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Manufacturers do some testing testing but it's mostly magazines. Perhaps they come on here to see what threads get the greatest response. Haha but objectivity is down the tubes there too as they are bent on satisfying their advertisers. They usually have adds at the bottom of the text or even within.

But these biased tests are valuable even though their methods are often sloppy. I've seen many tests that say some anchors won't set. Rediculous I say. If you know how to set an anchor and put it on a reasonable bottom it should set. So a test that says "could'nt get it to set" instantly puts me in a mindset of "not much here to believe". Even the Fortress test that I consider about as good as they get worked the anchors over quite a wide area. They located the boat in a fixed spot and pulled the anchors from places radially out some distance. Every anchor had virgin bottom but were tested on bottoms far enough away from eachother that significant bottom variations could exist. In the case of the Fortress test they probably sampled the bottom over a wide area.

Bias, bottoms and other variations aside I'm glad someone is testing anchors. I feel for the boater reading his first anchor test though. One needs experience reading and aynalizeing these tests to become able to read between the lines enough to make some usable conclusions. And of course those conclusions will change over time.

Has anyone seen a test including the two new Spade offerings? The Sea Blade and the one that looks like a Wasi.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote