New 8D battery or two 6v golf cart batteries??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Al....Yup, that's the plan. I expect, being on the move between overnights, you're right on the alternator. I was also planning on putting the generator up on the bridge...I have space there, and it will be quiet and unobtrusive when needed..I need to make up a short cord for that set-up.
As you note, it may be more cost effective to upgrade the onboard charger....It's a Charles 15 amp which is great for dockside, but will take some time with Generator assist on the hook....

Last edited:
I had a 30A 3-bank ProMariner that took forever to charge. I think it was dying a slow death with reduced charging capacity, but I was slow to catch on. Once I added my battery monitor, it became obvious.

I switched to a single bank 55A Iota with a switchable combiner to charge the start battery and it's been great. I would have been able to power the 75A Iota on the Honda, but the engine revs would have been high for my liking. This seems like a good fit for our style of boating.

Is your boat diesel?

Yes good plan. I can already see the limitations of my Charger in this scenario. I plan to add A Balmar Smart Gauge so I'll have some better information on how this all works. Yes, Diesel 200 hp Volvo Turbo.

Iota seems quite reasonable price wise. I assume you're happy with it?
Are you using the Iota Smart Charger module with it?

http://www.amazon.com/IOTA-Engineering-Converter-and-Charger/dp/B0030G7YXC

Last edited:
Yes, the DLS-55 w/ IQ4. It's worked fine for me in 10 months of service. No complaints.

Yes, the DLS-55 w/ IQ4. It's worked fine for me in 10 months of service. No complaints.

Great info...Thanks!
That points me in a direction that should work...

Back
Top Bottom