Learning from a nightmare?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattkab

Vessel Name
C:\[ESC]
Vessel Make
2002 Bayliner 4788
I had a boating nightmare the other night. No big deal... except that for the past few days I've been thinking more about it, and I really have no idea what the proper course of action would be if it happened in real life. I'm hoping folks here would engage in a bit of a thought experiment regarding it.

So here's what happened:
I was taking my boat out on an extremely cold day. As we were cruising, a storm front came through, and the waves built up. I was too far from the coast to make it to port, and started driving through the swells.

As the spray from the swells landed on the deck and superstructure, it froze, and continued to build up until, in dream-land, the boat capsized and sank.

I've seen picts of boats with substantial buildup at the dock, so I assume it can happen while under way. But maybe this is not logical in real life, and ice-buildup is not a real issue? Or at least not to the extent that there would be any danger?

Or is it a real, possible (though improbable) danger in winter cruising? If so, how would a normal cruiser, stuck in these situations, handle substantial ice build-up? I've been thinking of it for days and can't come up with a decent plan of attack.

Thoughts?

Ice is definitely dangerous...I believe when it builds up on the superstructure and rigging it is called black ice.

When I served on icebreakers it was common for the crew to have to go and break ice off the ship with large wooden mallets.

You can tell when it is getting dangerous when the roll of the vessel gets slower and slower to recover to upright.

On the assistance towboat, when I used to run it in the winter...often the spray would freeze the cabin doors shut...so rolling over was really on my mind. I got to the point where I would open and close the doors every few minutes to keep the tracks clear.

Wow, some dream/nightmare! I thought I only had those horrible dreams. :)

IF I where going where ice could be an issue I'd have a couple of these handy. And hopefully sound rails and decks.

Dead Blow Mallet

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1422908659.324195.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1422908672.595426.jpg

Easter delivery of Fairline 55' from Port Credit to Alexandria Bay on Lake Ontario.

Attachments

• 9 ICE.jpg
    9 ICE.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 3 ICE.jpg
    3 ICE.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 7 ICE.jpg
    7 ICE.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 8 ICE.jpg
    8 ICE.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 133
Great, I'm going to have nightmares until the sun comes back out in June!

I feel your pain. Why even here in San Diego, it barely got to 75 degrees on Superbowl Sunday. Brrrrr.......

Guess you've never seen "Deadliest Catch"? Ice buildup removal training 101. :D

I live in Alaska. It's a common problem up here. You have to have a boat able to withstand being beaten on with a mallet. Imagine how many cracks you would put in a fiberglass boat. If my boat was new and pretty I wouldnt go out in freezing spray. My boat can take it and has.

Pull the covers over your head and go back to sleep.

Wd40

Try some WD40 on things like metal door slides and frames before ice forms. It was originally developed as a water displacement coating for aircraft/spacecraft. The goal was to stop corrosion, but since it doesn't play well with H20 it can help with ice. (I use it on snowblower blades. I'd rather use it on boat hardware, but that will have to wait. :) ) It's also good on snow shovels, snow plows, etc. but I'm not sure how it would work on a nonmetal deck or hull.

Try some WD40 on things like metal door slides and frames before ice forms. It was originally developed as a water displacement coating for aircraft/spacecraft. The goal was to stop corrosion, but since it doesn't play well with H20 it can help with ice. (I use it on snowblower blades. I'd rather use it on boat hardware, but that will have to wait. :) ) It's also good on snow shovels, snow plows, etc. but I'm not sure how it would work on a nonmetal deck or hull.
Better bring it by the gallon then...maybe a door lock or window channel...but when spray freezes on a boat it overwhelms man, machine and WD40 pretty quick.

Archie...those fishermen stop pretty much where the ice starts...sure they got it all over their superstructures...but real mariners go where they run right on top of it too!:D

Well, we've been out in snow but those conditions, no thanks. Turning up the heat and getting hot water ready.....I have no idea what would work and hope I never have to learn.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom