The man...the myth...the legend!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
I will be replacing my Sherwood pumps on my Cummins 6BTAs with Seaboard SMX pumps. The engines only have 650 hours on them and the starboard pump has already been replaced once before. I just don't want to have to worry about it. I will maybe use the starboard pump as a spare and sell the other one on EBay or something. Anyway, I got Mr. Athens on the line when I called and it was the first time I had talked to him. I have dealt with him online thru Boatdiesel.com but it was nice to be able to talk to him. He can sometimes be a bit sharp on line simply because he deals with the same stuff over and over and over. But super duper EXTREMELY helpful over the phone. Anyway, just nice to be able to deal with him in a more personal manner and glean a bit of knowledge from him. Seems like a great guy!!!

Yes. Had a helpful conversation with him three years ago when we put the same pump on the same engine as you are doing. No leaks or problems with the new pump to date and impeller changes are much easier.

Replacing the pump meant lifting the port forward part of the Cummins off the mount a bit and that was a bugger as the mount's threads were all rusted from the leaking Sherwood.

I think I recall that the SMX has as slightly different shaped housing that will allow it to be removed without shifting the mount, but that may be just wishful remembrance.

I think I recall that the SMX has as slightly different shaped housing that will allow it to be removed without shifting the mount, but that may be just wishful remembrance.

I read that as well. Hopefully that is the case!!! And hopefully I will never have to remove it again!!!!

Slight thread hijack.

I had a similar type of fellow who advised me on installing a Victron inverter/charger.He didn't know me from Adam, but the time and patience he gave me in answering questions that he must have been asked hundreds of times before is very gratifying.

You hang on to people like that.

Now, back to the leaky pump.

My CAT 3116s have Sherwood 1700 pumps. Wonder if these would fit as replacements. The SBMAR website only talks about Cummins.

I believe they use the same impeller

The Cummins pumps are gear driven off the timing gears, is yours belt driven?

Last edited:
No, they are not belt driven. They are gear driven

There's a fair chance they would fit on the 3116. Ask SB. Base Sherwood Cat and Cummins are the same, but adapter plate and probably gear are different. Maybe swap the plate and gear from the Cat/Sherwood to the SeaMax?? Not sure if shaft noses are the same amongst all three.

I've yet to have a problem on my new ( to me ) 6BTA (560 hours) but I'll be changing out my Sherwood with the Seaboard pumps.
I think I'll have to move/modify the motor mount though.
I'm lucky that Tony Athen's shop is 10 minutes from my boat!

You mean those pumps have impellers in them..? And they need changing..? Actually I jest, but only slightly, because I had the impeller in the raw water pump on my trusty 1975 Lehman changed when I bought it 13 yrs ago, and as it appeared to be working faultlessly all that time, I only had it changed again while it was out December 2013. Admittedly we don't do huge distances, but anyway, they changed it, and the mechanic who did it, commented it was pretty stuffed. The interesting thing was it still performed as it always had right up to the time it was changed, and the temp reads exactly the same when warned right up to op temp as well.

I'll echo Baker's experience with Tony on the phone. I've talked to him several times, super nice guy on the phone.

Both my raw water pumps are SeaMax - worry free now.

The interesting thing was it still performed as it always had right up to the time it was changed, and the temp reads exactly the same when warned right up to op temp as well.

Pete, you have checked the temp gauge haven't you? :rolleyes:

Baker and HMason: You might both have pumps which are made to fit on SAE size A-2 mounting pads, originally engineered to connect hydraulic pumps to those engines in their industrial configuration. The SAE standard specifies the dimensions of the mounting pad (diameter, bolt spacing, etc.) and also the dimensions of the drive "tang" that the pump shaft engages on the accessory drive gear.

If that's the case, would you mind posting the part number of the raw water pump? I'm considering using an industrial engine on a boat, and it would be handy to be able to access a raw water pump for the wet exhaust. (At the moment, I'm kinda planning on a keel cooler, so no heat exchanger in the picture, at least yet.)

Thanks!

JS

I have a 6BT5.9 210 HP Cummins. The guys at SBMAR have helped me several times. I had a belt slip issue with new alternators that they recommended a belt tensioner and pulley mod that worked great. They provided parts for a cooling mod that improved coolant flows. I just went to magnetic pickups for tachs that they provided. I enjoy knowing that what they tell me is they best option for Cummins.

I wish I could change my raw water pump set up. To change my OEM impeller you have to pull the pump casing. Its a PIA on the outboard pump. I don't think my 1989 210 HP 6BT will take the SBMAR pump upgrade.
Dave

Baker and HMason: You might both have pumps which are made to fit on SAE size A-2 mounting pads, originally engineered to connect hydraulic pumps to those engines in their industrial configuration. The SAE standard specifies the dimensions of the mounting pad (diameter, bolt spacing, etc.) and also the dimensions of the drive "tang" that the pump shaft engages on the accessory drive gear.

If that's the case, would you mind posting the part number of the raw water pump? I'm considering using an industrial engine on a boat, and it would be handy to be able to access a raw water pump for the wet exhaust. (At the moment, I'm kinda planning on a keel cooler, so no heat exchanger in the picture, at least yet.)

Thanks!

JS
On the Cummins 6BT engine the raw water pump mounts where the power steering pump would mount on a (Dodge) pickup truck engine. It is a football shaped pad that mounts with 2 bolts below the injection pump.

The Sherwood pump on my CAT 3116TA is a model 1700.
Howard

I have a 6BT5.9 210 HP Cummins. The guys at SBMAR have helped me several times. I had a belt slip issue with new alternators that they recommended a belt tensioner and pulley mod that worked great. They provided parts for a cooling mod that improved coolant flows. I just went to magnetic pickups for tachs that they provided. I enjoy knowing that what they tell me is they best option for Cummins.

Dave - we have the 2001 version of this engine (same HP, no aftercooler). I'm familair with the tensioner mod, but what is the coolant mod?

Back
Top Bottom