Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the party value math but there will be times when one engine slow is fine and the party is the ride like downriver in the Columbia River Gorge. Up River I am getting killed.

What is Coot's cruising speed... 6 knts? That means 1.5 gph = 0.25 gpnm. If cruise is faster with same gph then gpnm would even be a bit less. Great boat mileage!

For the following calcs I levelized costs of diesel and gasoline.

"Your Coot": At 0.25 pgnm = 4 nmpg = 100 mile trip on 25 gal fuel X $4.00 per gal = $100. At 6 knts = 2 - 8.3 hr days of cruising.

"Our Tolly": Can get up to 2.75 nmpg on one engine at 6 knts; which would = 57 gals (a little more than twice your fuel use and twice the cost) on 100 mile trip in the same 2 - 8.3 hr days of cruising.

However, I go for the gusto on 100 mile trips. Doing 17 knts and getting 1 nmpg for 100 miles = 100 gals X $4.00 = $400. And at 17 knots = 5.88 hrs cruising. Which means that for $300 extra fuel dollars I get 10.78 extra hours at anchor or at dock for party time and my trip is completed in one long morning. So...the extra $300 can be divided by the extra 10.78 hours of party time which means my party time is worth $27.83 per hour!

Everything is relative... now isn't it!! The good ol' trade off factor comes into play! :D

If it's the journey and not the destination, then clearly there's more hours of enjoyment with the Coot for the same distance traveled.:) And who wouldn't want more of a good thing?

Ted

You're, we're all correct. Everyone gets a chicken dinner with crab and shrimp appetizers.

I often cruise at below hull speed... but when I feel like getting some place fairly quickly - I hit 17 knots plane!

That said: I do not get Mark's Coot's 4 nmpg. Best our Tolly can do 1s 2.75 to 3 maximum nmpg at same or even lesser approx. speed of 6 knots on one engine of her twins.

Single screw FD hull wins hands down for economy... planing hull wins in other ways!

Last edited:
We usually travel at hull speed but will kick it up to 20 knots to make happy hour

Attachments

• 2014081695120219 (4)_edited-2.jpg
    2014081695120219 (4)_edited-2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 121
Art,
You are a man of means by no means!!:D Go with the gusto! I on the other hand have to live on my retirement. Don't know what I will do the second week!!:facepalm:

Al

This boat anchored next to us a few months ago.
Is it true 10% of males are colour blind ? :)

img_306479_0_5e29aa19425999c7d914a575a18c270a.jpg

img_306483_0_5e29aa19425999c7d914a575a18c270a.jpg

If he had a little money he could get a orange boat

If I owned that boat I'd name it "Orange you Jealous?"

The guy is a University of Tennessee fan. Even their blood runs orange.:D

When are you painting your hull P V? You know VOL NAVY and all.

Art,
You are a man of means by no means!!:D Go with the gusto! I on the other hand have to live on my retirement. Don't know what I will do the second week!!:facepalm:

Al

Hi Al - Always fine to hear from you!

In my several meaningful creative-business and personal-life gallivants through-out my years (started in 6th grade and do not plan to quit! - lol)... I've been a man of "means" more than once... I'm sure you understand what that means.... Which factually means I've also seen the side of little means and by all means understand what it means to live at that level of means too. Saying this by no means is intended to color any level of means with other than the color it really means! As I write this an email question just came in from an ASU-LightWorks regarding what I stated in a recent Business Plan I wrote actually means. This means that I will need to end this fun post regarding "means" but in no way means I will not again address this interesting topic regarding what it all means!

And, I mean it! :dance:

This of course means that our brains actually have the means to dissect "means" and maybe come to a plausible conclusion that means means something!

Happy Means Daze! - Art :D

Last edited:
Orange blood all year round, orange flag during football season for the Vol Navy. It would be even better if we could win some games.

Attachments

• 20141025_120747.jpg
    20141025_120747.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 20141026_090056.jpg
    20141026_090056.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 20141024_230706.jpg
    20141024_230706.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 126
  • 2013 08 09_ColdWater2013_2549.jpg
    2013 08 09_ColdWater2013_2549.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 124
Peyton Manning ain't walking through that door any time soon. :D

Should be easily seen in a rescue situation.

Cool looking boat, but too much wood to take care of for me. I assume the exterior of that pilothouse is teak?

The small hydrofoil shown in an earlier post reminded me of Boeing's foray into the hydrofoil business. The company's Marine Systems operated out of the Renton Plant next to the 737 line. In addition to a commercial passenger hydrofoil, the Jetfoil, Boeing also made a number of vessels for the US Navy. Some were for research purposes and some were commissioned warships.

First picture is the USS Tucumcari, a jet-powered hydrofoil gunboat. It saw service in Viet Nam for awhile.

Second shot is the FRESH-1, a research vessel designed to test hydrofoils at high speeds. The Navy's goal was a 100+ knot hydrofoil and the FRESH-1 was one of the boats built to test the concept. For power, it had what in essence was a 727 engine strapped to the top.

Third shot is one of the six PHM missile firgates Boeing designed and built for the Navy. The prototype, the USS Pegasus, was built and delivered in the late 1970s but the other five were completed and lined up side by side awaiting delivery inside the Renton assembly building when I hired into the company.

While Boeing Marine Systems had a pretty long run starting back in the 1960s, it ultimately proved to be a losing proposition and the division was disbanded and the building it occupied was remodeled to house the assembly line for the 757.

Boeing built a small number of commercial hydrofoils, too, in the same space as the military boats. They were sold to operators in Hong Kong, Hawaii, Indonesia, and (I believe) Belgium. The only operation deemed truly successful was in Hong Kong where they still run today between Hong Kong and Macau.

I used the last civilian hydrofoil in a staged interception of a drug-running boat in the middle of the Strait of Juan de Fuca for a marketing film I produced for the SLAMMR (Side Looking Airborne Multi Mission Radar), a 737 coastal patrol airdraft we made in the mid-1980s. The drug-running boat was a beautful Bertram sport-fisherman that Boeing Marine Systems used as a chase boat. The SLAMMR found the boat and then directed the "good guys" (the hydrofoil) out from Port Angeles to intercept it. The last shot was the hydrofoil running down the Betram as the SLAMMR made a pass over both of them at an altitude of 50 feet, all shot from a helicopter.

Before moving to Seattle I worked in commercial television in Honolulu, where one of our clients for TV commercials was Seaflight, the short-lived operator of three Boeing hydrofoils. So I'd shot with the boats over there, too.

Attachments

• Tucumcari.jpg
    Tucumcari.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 210
  • FRESHclose5x7t.jpg
    FRESHclose5x7t.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 204
  • PHM.jpg
    PHM.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Last edited:
Orange blood all year round, orange flag during football season for the Vol Navy. It would be even better if we could win some games.

Butch Jones had a good recruiting season although he lost my grandson to Mississippi State.:D Tennessee should start winning soon.

The small hydrofoil shown in an earlier post reminded me of Boeing's foray into the hydrofoil business. The company's Marine Systems operated out of the Renton Plant next to the 737 line. In addition to a commercial passenger hydrofoil, the Jetfoil, Boeing also made a number of vessels for the US Navy. Some were for research purposes and some were commissioned warships.

First picture is the USS Tucumcari, a jet-powered hydrofoil gunboat. It saw service in Viet Nam for awhile.

Second shot is the FRESH-1, a research vessel designed to test hydrofoils at high speeds. The Navy's goal was a 100+ knot hydrofoil and the FRESH-1 was one of the boats built to test the concept. For power, it had what in essence was a 727 engine strapped to the top.

Third shot is one of the six PHM missile firgates Boeing designed and built for the Navy. The prototype, the USS Pegasus, was built and delivered in the late 1970s but the other five were completed and lined up side by side awaiting delivery inside the Renton assembly building when I hired into the company.

While Boeing Marine Systems had a pretty long run starting back in the 1960s, it ultimately proved to be a losing proposition and the division was disbanded and the building it occupied was remodeled to house the assembly line for the 757.

Boeing built a small number of commercial hydrofoils, too, in the same space as the military boats. They were sold to operators in Hong Kong, Hawaii, Indonesia, and (I believe) Belgium. The only operation deemed truly successful was in Hong Kong where they still run today between Hong Kong and Macau.

I used the last civilian hydrofoil in a staged interception of a drug-running boat in the middle of the Strait of Juan de Fuca for a marketing film I produced for the SLAMMR (Side Looking Airborne Multi Mission Radar), a 737 coastal patrol airdraft we made in the mid-1980s. The drug-running boat was a beautful Bertram sport-fisherman that Boeing Marine Systems used as a chase boat. The SLAMMR found the boat and then directed the "good guys" (the hydrofoil) out from Port Angeles to intercept it. The last shot was the hydrofoil running down the Betram as the SLAMMR made a pass over both of them at an altitude of 50 feet, all shot from a helicopter.

Before moving to Seattle I worked in commercial television in Honolulu, where one of our clients for TV commercials was Seaflight, the short-lived operator of three Boeing hydrofoils. So I'd shot with the boats over there, too.

The PHMs were great duty for new surface JOs. Small heavily armed. Operated from Key West for a while. We had the Harpoons on our sub as well. They were amazing missiles for their day...could be on subs ships or aircraft. 60nm over the horizon anti ship missile. They needed air superiority else they were vulnerable. Cool ships.

My Uncle Dave Symington ended up with one of the hydrofoil boats as a surplus purchase.
It sat on a roadside somewhere between Bremerton and Lake William Symington. Interesting to read of these craft these many years later.

Al

For years the FRESH-1 (my photo #2 above) sat next to the fence by the highway at the south end of the Bremerton Naval Shipyard. I saw it there several times during the late 80s or early 90s. I had heard that someone at one point had bought it with plans to create a James Bond movie around it, a plan that obviously never came to fruition.

Last edited:
Marin-

It has been years from the time my uncle showed me the boat and I do recall it being this craft. I do not know if my uncle is still with us, in his 90's if so. Will send off to a distant cousin as he is a Seattle history buff who may enjoy this bit of marine Boeing history.
At that time he was in a running battle with the local government officials who wanted it off the location as a public hindrance. He wanted to sell it to somebody who would revive it as a tourist attraction.
I suppose he eventually was successful in that.

The reflective minutes of your adventures shine on your varied and non-boring life

al

Back
Top Bottom