Reversing Solenoid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil23

Vessel Name
MV Unique
Vessel Make
Salthouse Coastal 35
Can anyone help me with a wiring diagram utilising 2 12volt solenoids to create an up and down anchor function. I currently have one solenoid for my down function and wish to convert to both. I am told it can be done and considerably cheaper than fitting a purpose made reversing solenoid.

Do you want to operate it from the deck or the house? Does the motor reverse with polarity changes?

If the switches are on the deck, you will never push both switches at the same time, just wire each circuit separately.

From the foredeck only. I understand I can utilise one solenoid for up and one solenoid for down with a deck switch for each

Can anyone help me with a wiring diagram utilising 2 12volt solenoids to create an up and down anchor function. I currently have one solenoid for my down function and wish to convert to both. I am told it can be done and considerably cheaper than fitting a purpose made reversing solenoid.
Think you need 4 solenoids....can't transfer the diagram on this pad but there are many diagrams on the web....just punch in windlass solenoid and see what pops up....that's how I found my diagram.

Depends do on the windlass though....mine is 2 wire...maybe the 3 wire windlasses only need 2 solenoids.

It depends upon the windlass motor and how it is built.
How many wires does the actual motor have, the heavy power wires.?
There should be markings on the motor case next to each terminal, what are they?
Which windlass model and mfgr is this thing?

Miswiring could be expensive and dangerous so the more info you give the better.

Think you need 4 solenoids....can't transfer the diagram on this pad but there are many diagrams on the web....just punch in windlass solenoid and see what pops up....that's how I found my diagram.

Depends do on the windlass though....mine is 2 wire...maybe the 3 wire windlasses only need 2 solenoids.

yes, With a standard DC motor you would need four sets of contacts.

These could be combined into twopower relays with two contacts per relay.

You would also want to use either a sepparate relay or a set of auxillary contacts to prevent inadvertant operation of both the up and the down functions at the same time.

If you think about it, inadvertant operation of the up and the down at the same time would represent a dead short between battery and ground, not a good thing. :blush:

I too had an up-only windlass. Making it work in both directions called for two modifications.

1. Changing a small needle-roller bearing which permitted rotation in one direction only.

2. Installation of a reversing solenoid - price was around $65.00. This is the one I used. "Up" and "Down" waterproof foot switches are also required.

I submitted this post in October 2012 outlining the procedure.

This is a link to the whole thread.

I have been able to identify my motor as a Lucas as used in Landrovers if this should help. Positive wire on the end negative on the side of the case.

Hmm, Lucas eh? Well certainly not the same as my windlass. The needle-roller bit does not apply, but the reversing solenoid might still work. Do you have a photo of the mechanical/electrical part of your windlass.

BTW: get ready for a salvo of disrespectful comments about Lucas Lord of Darkness and the like!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom