Old 02-09-2015, 12:23 AM   #67
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. A. By live, I mean not steamed, grilled, poached, or fricasseed. Now I suppose it's necessary for those on the west coast to put on a "special seafood sauce" but I've NEVER found any benefit, tastewise, to adding anything to a good oyster.
My personal preference is a Virginica oyster from the Northeast. The brininess and crisp finish is much preferred to the flatter tasting and metallic finish of most west coast species I've had occasion to autopsy. The exception is the Kumamoto with it's buttery texture and mild finish. I suppose anything else would warrant a slathering of that "special seafood sauce". The Olympia, for instance, definitely needs something to kill that sometimes harsh metallic aftertaste.
I will confess to adding a few drops of Tabasco or lemon to the occasional oyster but I usually eat the first 5 or 6 dozen neat.
No wonder you relate so fully to coinsurer Groucho! Only, from what I understand, his "oyster" preference was not on half shell... but rather by full hip, alive, moist with absolutely no extra sauce.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote