View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #12
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Good Morning fellows,

Lot of good information here and a thank you for participating.
Let me qualify that the purchase of a marine refrigerator in the range of $600-800 dollars plus huge freight cost (O-You live in Alaska=Big bucks!) is not beyond my means. However when walking through Wal-Mart and finding a similar size refrigerator in house hold voltage (AC) for $115.00 and no freight I begin to think along the lines of this fits the “Because it is marine it has to cost more” when it may not have to.
How many occasions we read on other forum subjects that home hardware stores or automotive stores, carry items that will transpose over to marine and cost one heck less? That is the mode I used posting the inquiry.
Let us review and respond: FF offered the easiest solution with two sockets however as the fridge is inserted a location accessible on the boat would present a suitable sites, thanks for the suggestion.
Pure Pleasure confirms that a sizable inverter such as the 1000 watt Ski suggested.
Twisted Tree has me confused Disappointed smile The intent is to replace a 12 volt fridge that will be too large after the project with a house hold 110 refrigerator. This will require a converter of 12 volt to 110 which as I understand it, a inverter not a charger. We do have a gen set in the system, however we do not run it continuously while underway. The intent is to employ the inverter while traveling trusting that the alternator will maintain the 12 volt system and allow the fridge to be operated.
Sunchaser- You are correct in the observation and it may well be that we will abandon this 110 option in the end. In the meanwhile having input will confirm our end actions.
Ranger42c: You have hit on the purpose, Not so much cost other than the purchase of one or other mentioned in paragraph one.
BlueYonder: You have provided information regarding pretty much the discussion of what one may expect in the battery life during a 24 hour cycle. I understand somewhat the amp hour stuff enough to know that as Ski indicated, opening the door often while on the 12 volt system will drag the battery down. Knowing this we have always been aware and cognate of the fridge while on 12 volt status.

In the over all, FF’s suggestion will be explored with finding a location that we can re-wire to from the current fridge location were the 110 volt chosen. We have our eye out watching the Seattle Craiglist for a used unit, and if all fails, we will bite the bullet and purchase a 12/110 unit.

Thanks to all

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote