Torn between two boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Welcome, the saying is that "the boat picks you" if that's not happening maybe you should continue the search.

Gotta admit when folks told me this before buying our boat I thought it was a load of BS. Having been through the process I'm 100% convinced that it is true. If neither of these boats chose you, and you'd know it, keep looking as soon enough one will.

110% Agreed!

Every boat I've (we've) ever owned chose (grabbed) me (us) by the hands, feet, heart, and minds.

We simply could not get away! Sort of - LOL :D:D

Pumpout could be an issue. The only year round pump out I have heard of is in rock hall. Know of any others?

I think you can find others. Selby Bay Marina near us, someplace on Back Creek in Annapolis (maybe Annapolis Landing, and it might be in-slip pump-outs), have heard about several Bal'mer marinas like Inner Harbor, etc.

The Annapolis pump-out boat was said to be running all year round now, too.

-Chris

Thanks Chris. If the Annapolis boat is running year round, that would be great. it would be a hop-skip-and-a-jump away when we needed. I'll see what I can find on that....

Thanks Chris. If the Annapolis boat is running year round, that would be great. it would be a hop-skip-and-a-jump away when we needed. I'll see what I can find on that....

Well, probably, if you're in Annapolis. Or maybe sorta, if you're on Kent Island at BBM. Otherwise, it's a ways around from someplace like Lippincott's. And you'd have to deal with engine winterization/unwinterization.

Anyway, it'll be useful if you can post whatever you find out, 'cause I'm not always sure I've got complete or up-to-date info...

-Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Welcome, the saying is that "the boat picks you" if that's not happening maybe you should continue the search.

110% Agreed!

Every boat I've (we've) ever owned chose (grabbed) me (us) by the hands, feet, heart, and minds.

We simply could not get away! Sort of - LOL :D:D

I've always said, "You'll know when it's the right one for you." And the other side of that is "When in doubt, don't." Then you may find ultimately passing on that one was the smartest buying decision you've ever made. Sometimes it's those reservations that we can't pinpoint at the time. We sit thinking "I just don't feel right about it" but then we pressure ourselves asking why. Well, analysis only takes one so far and sometimes it's emotion, gut feeling, instinct that knows something we can't learn by analysis. We just have to feel right, feel comfortable with our new boat. Then each year you'll find yourself falling in love with it all over again. And even if you move on to others, the love for that previous one will never leave.

I've always said, "You'll know when it's the right one for you." And the other side of that is "When in doubt, don't." Then you may find ultimately passing on that one was the smartest buying decision you've ever made. Sometimes it's those reservations that we can't pinpoint at the time. We sit thinking "I just don't feel right about it" but then we pressure ourselves asking why. Well, analysis only takes one so far and sometimes it's emotion, gut feeling, instinct that knows something we can't learn by analysis. We just have to feel right, feel comfortable with our new boat. Then each year you'll find yourself falling in love with it all over again. And even if you move on to others, the love for that previous one will never leave.

You talking about good Ex's?? LOL

Stay tuned for survey results but we are looking to liveaboard and need to keep the ball rolling. Any suggestions for marinas on kent island? We liked Mears and Castle harbor but thought piney narrows was too loud with the bridge right there.

The Kent Narrows is a great location. It is right in the middle of some of the nicest cruising grounds on the Chesapeake Bay.

I keep my boat at Mears. It is well maintained and has nice facilities. If you have any questions about Mears feel free to PM me with questions.

I kept a boat at Lippincotts several years ago. The folks are friendly, but the marina was not that well maintained. Some of the boat slips had shoaled badly. (including the one I had). They may have corrected this now, but I would certainly check before signing a contract.

Bay Bridge Marina is well maintained with floating docks. Most boats get hauled out for the Spring boat show which is held there.

I don't know if you live locally, but Rock Hall has some nice marinas also.

The Kent Narrows is a great location. It is right in the middle of some of the nicest cruising grounds on the Chesapeake Bay.

I keep my boat at Mears. It is well maintained and has nice facilities. If you have any questions about Mears feel free to PM me with questions.

I kept a boat at Lippincotts several years ago. The folks are friendly, but the marina was not that well maintained. Some of the boat slips had shoaled badly. (including the one I had). They may have corrected this now, but I would certainly check before signing a contract.

Bay Bridge Marina is well maintained with floating docks. Most boats get hauled out for the Spring boat show which is held there.

I don't know if you live locally, but Rock Hall has some nice marinas also.

Hey Yonder,
We are dirt dwellers in rock hall currently. It's just TOO quiet for us right now. The trick is we work in Galena but would like to push closer to annapolis/civilization/better cruising:D so kent island would be a good meld of these. It's about 40 minutes to Galena which, while not great, is manageable

Do you know anyone at Mears who lives aboard? We heard of one or two from the nice lady at the front desk but they didn't seem too excited about liveaboards overall.

We drove through Lippencott but it was really quiet. Mears Point had activity even on a cold sunday in January.

We didn't tour Bay bridge because we heard they were not interested in liveaboards but a quick check of their website shows otherwise. Floating docks sound nice...

I don't know any liveaboards other than a guy on my dock who lives on his boat from May until October. I'm pretty sure there are some liveaboards in the marina who stay all year. There are several frost free water supplies in the marina and I see long hoses stretched out and down docks on occasion in the winter. I think Seven Seas Marine in the marina keeps a portable pump out station that you might be able to use in the winter. I have occasionally seen it rolling around.

Another marina with some liveaboards is Kentmoor about halfway down Kent Island proper on rte 8.

My wife rides the commuter bus every day with a guy who lives aboard during the week at Piney Narrows.

Thanks Yonder for the pumpout pointer - I'll have to track that down

Kentmoor looks nice but it adds another 10 minutes to an already long commute. We are trying to stay closer to the highway but not too close! We looked at Piney narrows and liked it except for the noise from the bridge. It's a contender for the price difference over Mears point marina but theres something that makes the bridge noise a lot louder in there than Mears, just opposite...

We didn't tour Bay bridge because we heard they were not interested in liveaboards but a quick check of their website shows otherwise. Floating docks sound nice...

It's a nice place. We've had our owners club weekend party there once in the past, and I moved our boat there during prep for Hurricane Isabel (I think?) a few years ago, specifically because of the floating docks.

(It's not a perfect solution for everyone, though. They can only accepts so many transients for something like that, and even many of their "residents" hauled anyway.)

Nice facilities.

Probably not inexpensive, though.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom