Car Radio Static

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
I recently replaced my 120v stereo system with a Pioneer Car radio.

12 volts, it works great, but i get static i the one station i really care about.

It doesn't seem to be "normal" static I'd associate with a weak signal, instead it seems dependent on what's playing.

Any ideas? Solutions?

We had a similar problem when we first installed a car stereo on our sailboat. It was becuase we had not properly grounded the radio and antenna.

Have you tried to isolate the cause by turning off the other electrical systems one at a time to see if it affects the reception? It could be something as simple as a water heater, inverter or a nearby VHF that is the source of the static.

My laptop with chart software screws up my car radio when on weak stations. Laptop power cord runs right over radio, if it bothers me I move the power cable or turn off the laptop.

My inverter puts snow on my bottom machine, but still very readable.

Fiddling with the antenna sometimes helps. Also grounding chassis to bonding circuit.

Aren't some stations in Euro using even decimals vs odd for the states? I think this was discussed earlier but can't remember.

AM or FM station?
Engine running or not?
In the dock or at anchor?
What do you have for an antenna and how far away (approx cable length) is the antenna from the radio?

The amount of noise generated in a marina is staggering from all of the battery chargers and inverters.

For difficult stations the cure is the same as attempting to get better range from a VHF.

A high mounted base coil loading AM/FM antenna , quality not car radio antenna lead in and use a shielded power line as a power supply .

I got a window antenna today. It was only $13 so not much to lose. It needs power, and also has a ground lead.

I'm sure it's a grounding issue, so will be surprised if it doesn't solve the problem.

Pretty much all boat electrics are off.

Richard: any update on how this panned out? I've just posted on a similar topic.

Yes. That solved the issue.
Works great.
Basically this powered antenna creates its own ground plane.
No more static. Great reception.

Last edited:
Basically this powered antenna creates its own ground plane.
No more static. Great reception.

ID?

I'd be Interested too in the name and model please

Back
Top Bottom