Boeing 787

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From the reports I've read it wasn't just the blades that blew out, it was the disk that failed, one report said "... it just wasn't there anymore" and they are still looking for it on some island.

My understanding is that fan blades can be contained, compressor blades evidently don't go anywhere but the next stage ad destructum but compressor wheels will break into large heavey pieces a la Sioux City and cause no end of grief.

The damage done to the 380 was evidently far more than anyone wanted to admit could be possible.

RR of course says that there is no component similarity between the 900 and the 1000 but there are stories about the splines on the 1000 as well. There still isn't any public information about the cause or extent of the 1000 uncontained failure so we skeptics have plenty of fodder.

Just for conversation, the marine version of the GE CF-6, the LM2500 just turned 41 years old with the high time engine at over 16000 hours. Thats not too shabby for an engine running in salt air. Of course the aero version has gone over 35000 on the wing in about a quarter of that time. Pretty amazing machines.

RickB wrote:

There still isn't any public information about the cause or extent of the 1000 uncontained failure...
Initial media reports we read here said it caused considerable damage to the inside of the test facility itself.

I read (but not on the internet!!) that some 787s will have RR engines. True? If so, how do they differ in design from those on the Qantas 380?

-- Edited by sunchaser on Friday 12th of November 2010 11:01:45 PM

Right now about a third of the 787s on order have been specified to have RR engines. A bit more than a third have specified GE engines and the rest have not made an engine selection yet. The first 787s to fly have RR engines, the GE equipped planes started flying more recently. There are differences between the Trent 900 and Trent 1000 but they share some common design elements including the basic design of the IPT (intermediate pressure turbine) section of the engine. The focus of attention on the Trent 900 and 1000 failures has so far been on the engine's oil system.

RR claims that the Trent 1000 engine that had a failure of IPT on the test stand had been fitted with an oil system that was unique to that particular engine and did not reflect on the Trent 1000 engines currently flying on the 787 flight test fleet.

A feature of the 787 is that the planes can be fitted with either RR or GE engines, and that the engine types can be changed at any point in the life of the plane. As opposed to prior jetliner modesl which have to be specified with a particular engine and it will have that type of engine for its entire service life.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 13th of November 2010 02:19:45 AM

I leave the country for a coupla days and this....hahaha. Anyway, this should have been started in OTDE and that is where it is going.

PS...Y'all have opinions about this rig, but my ass will be in the seat....lol

"The damage done to the 380 was evidently far more than anyone wanted to admit could be possible.

Air Bust is just starting to fly the Military 400 turbo prop.

Cant wait to see what fails on these decade late beauties.

Air Bust is better than SOAP!

Back
Top Bottom