WHY are anchors and engines so controversial?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think people just like to protect what they think and what they have. Maybe there is a bit of adversarial lawyer in all of us. A parent will usually defend and heap praise on their child in public(not saying what they might think and say in private). I remember as a child in my room hearing the mothers of my friends who were loud when playing cards brag about my friends and of course I knew otherwise. Maybe our choices of boats anchors and other stuff is in a way an extension of self and takes on emotional baggage like the cars some of us buy.

I've certainly no idea why as I've never once argued for or against any anchor. We may be huge disappointments to the anchor fighters, but in each case we've taken the anchors that came standard on the boats and used them. Seems to me sometimes that it's all those people still searching for the perfect anchor, which doesn't exist.

As to engines, we've only had twins but see nothing wrong with singles and would recommend them to many. I do buy the theory many feel the need to defend what they have. Sometimes it's hard to just say, I have this, I wanted it, and I like it and really don't feel the need to justify it.

No…see…you've all totally missed the point. All the posts above prove this. You were all so keen and quick to post, you didn't read and missed my definitive and only correct reason right at the top after Marin's original post.

I'm willing to admit the point about it's invisibility, in the case of the anchor, and the faith required to trust it because you can't see it or check it, could be another factor. :socool::lol:

Maybe its because we have nothing better to do?? When I was younger and occupied with important things to do I could never waste precious time pounding on this keyboard about stuff that hardly mattered. Now anchors and engines and such fill the void. I am not complaining I should have retired sooner and started pounding the keyboard maybe I would have got better at it.

Back
Top Bottom