Outboard Motor Hanger...>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heron

Guru
Vessel Name
Heron (2)
Vessel Make
'88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
This idea may help others in the same boat (!) I was in. Very limited storage, little usable space under the cockpit hatches, No Rail, like on Sailboats to bolt to...You guys with bigger boats likely don't have this problem, but cramming cruising gear into a 28' boat can be a challenge!!

I bought a 3' Rectangular 2x4" bar of 1/4" wall aluminum. Fabbed up some end caps, Hooks, hangers, and a pad for mounting my 2hp Honda. Powdercoated and installed yesterday. Should do the job without taking up valuable storage space as well as provide some hangers for dock lines etc..
Doesn't really intrude on usable cockpit space when mounted here..

(also just replaced some very weathered teak flybridge and side steps with Anti-skid Starboard...)

IMG_0140-vi.jpg

IMG_0141-vi.jpg

20150203_135158-vi.jpg

20150204_134021-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Nice and clean. Good use of space . I've got to build something to hold my little outboard.

What....no cup holders!?

Nice job, Heron. That's good looking and a good use for the space. That lil' Honda at 27 lbs will hang there nicely.

You may find that those end hooks are a "gotcha" coming around that door.

Well done. That's going to be very useful.

Here is what I did on the Camano I owned.

Attachments

• OB Mount 1.jpg
    OB Mount 1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 119
  • OB mount 4.jpg
    OB mount 4.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Steve, that looks like a good solution to the problem as well. Is that a piece of stainless welded to the ladder and sandwiched between wood boards?

It is bolted to the ladder step and to the cabin bulkhead. The padlock may or may not be required.

Attachments

• OB Mount 3.jpg
    OB Mount 3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 121
Here is what I did on the Camano I owned.

That's perfect given the layout and space you have there...Nice job!

I have the same motor and have it mounted on my port rail, about mid-ship. Yes, it is in the way, and I would like to mount it in one corner of the sundeck but have yet to figure out a way.

Mine gets mounted on the aft FB rail on a lightweight plastic motor mount. I was worried about canvas wear but after 3 years, no problems.

img_307632_0_4ef9d00a305ef062bc4808dfa3e1654c.jpg

We've got too much top hamper now without addin' to it. I'm still thinkin' of a corner of the sun deck. The PO had an air tank rack there before and I took it out. The problem is, I am loathe to drill into the teak rails for a mount.

Outboard Motor Hanger...>

Hi Heron, Very good idea, I'll try to do the same

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom