Oil Change Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
Put only 20 hours on my boat last year, was on dry dock most of the time. Should I change oil for the coming season ??? 454 Gas

Yeah that's a tough one, but I think I still would. The oil might be fine, but what if there's a lot of moisture or worse - acids in it? Its such cheap insurance.

Ken

Absolutely it is full of moisture and over time what is the cost of 14 gets and two filters. Bill

Absolutely it is full of moisture and over time what is the cost of 14 gets and two filters. Bill

If its a 454 gas its probably only 5-6 qts.

Play safe, change it. I let a gas engine in a car doing small mileage go 2 years, the variable valve timing parts of the engine suffered, becoming permanently noisy. Oil quality seems to degrade with time.

Oil quality definitely degrades over time. It is due to what people have mentioned above. Moisture in the oil and by products of combustion become acidic. Most engine manufacturers specify an hourly interval and a time interval to change oil. That time interval is usually a year. Change it. It is cheap insurance.

Thanks,,, Will change right after MARDI GRAS,,,,As most of you all know we have this small 2 week long party in this part of the country.:D :dance::)

"Getting things done" will definitely take a hit in the next 2 weeks. Annual condition, kinda like snow in Buffalo. It's a force, not an event ........

Thanks,,, Will change right after MARDI GRAS,,,,As most of you all know we have this small 2 week long party in this part of the country.:D :dance::)

AND AFTER THAT IT BECOMES A 2 DAY PARTY THE OTHER 50 WEEKS:dance::dance::dance:

Lazer Le Bon Tomps Rulee

Than get on with loosing the oil, the filter should be OK not to change.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom