Who says sailboats don't plane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whoa....that is just plane crazy! (Sorry.) But what a great helmsman; I sure *wouldn't have attempted it. What was that guy doing on the bow?

Conrad wrote:

Whoa....that is just plane crazy! (Sorry.) But what a great helmsman; I sure *wouldn't have attempted it. What was that guy doing on the bow?
Yes it was crazy. The opportunity to pitchpole was very high. For anyone who has not crossed a bar, the primary thing you must know and utilize is that you must get your boat on the back of the wave, just behind the crest, and stay there all the way in. If you have the ability to go that fast. If you cross over into the face of the wave, you lose control. Done properly, the wave lays down and gently places you at your destination.

-- Edited by Carey on Friday 12th of November 2010 11:28:06 PM

I'm impressed. I'm also thinking the skipper, and probably the crew, has done this many times before. No one seems to be particularly excited. In fact they all seem to be taking it as just routine.

The video reminded me of Depoe Bay, Oregon. We once saw some photos at a restaurant (or museum?) of amazing storm entries into that very tight twisty harbor entrance. I'm not sure they all made it. It was probably 20 years ago or more but they sure stick in mind. That "any port in a storm" stuff may not always apply!

Looks pretty risky to me in a slow sailboat,* but in a fast power boat it shouldn't be too big of a problem.* Speaking of risk, was anyone on that boat wearing a lifejacket?* It was hard to tell, but unless they were the inflatable type, I didn't see them......Arctic Traveller

I'll bet they had a lot to talk about at the yacht club bar that night!

Arctic Traveller wrote:

Looks pretty risky to me in a slow sailboat,* but in a fast power boat it shouldn't be too big of a problem.* Speaking of risk, was anyone on that boat wearing a lifejacket?* It was hard to tell, but unless they were the inflatable type, I didn't see them......Arctic Traveller

I'll bet they had a lot to talk about at the yacht club bar that night!
You are so right. If you are unable to match the speed of the waves, you stand a good chance of broaching or pitchpoling. And of course the wave height would then determine just how bad that might be.Carey

A friend keeps his sail boat here , it is 36 ft and had an 8V71 Detroit when new.

Weather as a displacement hull it plains is an argument for the NA's , but GPS 16K is for real!

there is no way I would attempt doing that right now in life!

Woodsong wrote:

there is no way I would attempt doing that right now in life!
How bout trying this:

WooHoo! That looks like fun!

Arctic Traveller wrote:

Speaking of risk, was anyone on that boat wearing a lifejacket?* It was hard to tell, but unless they were the inflatable type, I didn't see them......Arctic Traveller
My thinking as well. And there was no evidence of them with lifelines attached, although in those conditions (so close to land that they could be bashed into if they went overboard)) I'm not sure if lifelines would be appropriate.

The Skipper at the helm knew what he was doing.
Turning around is tough. He nailed it several times.
Nice boat.

SD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom