hello from New Zealand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magic

Hello from NZ
We have just purchased a 40ft halverson island gypsy built in 1976. powered by a
ford leahman and cruises at 8.5 knots.
Don't know a lot of the history of these boats.
She is constructed of hardwood planks with a 12ft beam and draft of 4 ft. We
hope to be able to learn more of the history behind this range of boats.

The son of the Kong in Kong & Halverson is a participating member of the Grand Banks owners forum. His name is Shing Kong. If you join that forum (it's free) you could perhaps contact Shing and ask him about your boat (assuming it is from the time of Kong & Halverson.). He may have some of the history of the company and this particular model.

Hi there Majic with the 40ft Island Gypsy.
I am also in NZ and I have what I thought was the only Island Gypsy in the country - and Island Gypsy 32. I have recently sailed my little beauty from Wellington to Auckland where we have just recently moved. My boat is at Pine Harbour. Where are you located??

Hi
Mine came from half moon bay and was previously in picton and christchurch.
She now lives in whangapoua on the coromandel.

-- Edited by Magic on Sunday 14th of November 2010 04:05:46 PM

-- Edited by Magic on Sunday 14th of November 2010 04:07:00 PM

Attachments

• img_0962.jpg
    img_0962.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 148
NZGypsy wrote:

Hi there Majic with the 40ft Island Gypsy.
I am also in NZ and I have what I thought was the only Island Gypsy in the country - and Island Gypsy 32. I have recently sailed my little beauty from Wellington to Auckland where we have just recently moved. My boat is at Pine Harbour. Where are you located??
NZGypsy, check your personal messages - found under profile top right.* You might want to update the profile as well.

Just had the boat out of the water for a strip down and repaint, had a new shoe made at the same time.

I replaced all thru hull fittings while i was at it and in a fit of madness i decided to strip the hull back to the bare wood! big job but im pleased i did it as now i really know the condition of my hull etc.

Just the topsides to finish and then the task of putting on all the hardware again.

Attachments

• img_3163.jpg
    img_3163.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 123
  • img_3201.jpg
    img_3201.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 127
  • img_3193.jpg
    img_3193.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 115
Magic,

Do you know what kind of wood that is on the bottom or/and what kind of caulking is in the seams? Did the PO tell you what she was fastened with? I like the struts. What rpm do you "cruise" to run 8.5 knots? Let's see more pics of the boat. Note the photo album thread at the top of "general discussion". You're invited.
smile.gif

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 6th of October 2011 11:30:58 AM

not sure what the wood is,our best guess is some type of asian hardwood as we assume it was built in hong kong.we are having no luck with an id number on the boat having searched
extensively but cant find any marks anywhere.would love to track down its history.
The caulking is putty and was in good condition so i left it alone. the planks are screwed with brass and only had to replace 6-8 that had bled thru.We cruise at 1800rpm that gives us a comfy ride with good fuel economy.
on page 12 of the photo album section i have some pics.
cheers
steve

Magic,
To the best of my ability I think a lot of the Asian timber boats were planked in teak.
I have seen a couple of Alaskan/De fever 49 RPH boats stripped back in the yard here and sure they were teak planked.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom