My Pilot House Housecleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
I am finally at the stage of dealing with the ton of stuff that has accumulated on the last two years.

Much of it my doing, as the previous owner, had all maintenance done by others, so he had no need for tools or parts aboard.

Also, I have a clue as to what I DON'T know, so I've been reluctant to throw anything away.

The problem is it's reached a point where of I needed it, I probably can't find it or even know they I have it.

So housecleaning and inventory are the order of the day, week, month.

ForumRunner_20150204_111756.jpg

ForumRunner_20150204_111822.jpg

ForumRunner_20150204_111851.jpg

Anyone know what this wooden pole with straps is for? I once knew, but alas...

ForumRunner_20150204_111907.jpg

The large bins on the back of the bench are empty. They are part of the new scheme.

Also, it's not as bad as I had feared.

But I think it's time for a break.

Yikes! It is time for a major clean up. You're right, if you can't find it when you need it, or don't even know you have it, then it does you no good. Can't tell you how many times I bought things only to discover later that I already had one. When we bought our Carver we did a cleanout and filled half a dumpster with stuff. Probably lightened the boat by 500 lbs.

Greetings,
Mr. 3. "Anyone know what this wooden pole with straps is for?..."
Bondage?

Looks like a ceiling grab rail that came down when rolling at 135 degrees due to fuel filter plug ups. :confused:

I think your going to be pleased when you get that done

Looks like a ceiling grab rail that came down when rolling at 135 degrees due to fuel filter plug ups. :confused:

Exactly what I was thinking:dance::dance:

I think it's for something outside or for the many screens, blue covers I have, that really don't use anymore.

Richard if rosa saw something like that there'd be hell to pay, julie is probably the same. Btw did your boat ever have a wind scoop? That dowel looks like a user upgrade to the hatch batten.

Via iPhone.

Last edited:
Richard if rosa saw something like that there'd be hell to pay, julie is probably the same. Btw did your boat ever have a wind scoop? That dowel looks like a user upgrade to the hatch batten.

Via iPhone.

And so would Julie.

But alone, I am paralysed by indecision.

Help

You or the PO found that pole in a dumpster. I threw it away because I couldn't remember what it was for.

I can't begin to guess how many times I couldn't find what I knew I had somewhere and went out and bought the same item instead of searching for it.

You'll need a bigger extinguisher if that pile should catch fire. :)

I have very pic of scrap or cutoff teak that has accumulated over the last twenty years . I keep saying I'm going to make bungs out all the pcs that are too small . I can't throw any of it away . What's the best way to organize srews, bolts , nuts and washers ? I know I have what I need but can never find it . Good luck with the clean up .

Greetings,
Mr. PM. Ah, organization...As I mentioned in the "Impeller leaking in L120" thread my marina neighbor refers to your "syndrome" as LOB (lost on board). I suffer from the same affliction BUT in an attempt to organize...
joffrey-laughing-gif.gif

I've found fishing tackle boxes to be helpful. I picked up just one of these:
2083878_2F8153G76.jpg

...at the local Big Lots and it's the best I've found. Shoulda bought 4 or 5...

What's the best way to organize srews, bolts , nuts and washers ? I know I have what I need but can never find it . Good luck with the clean up .

I don't know that it's the "best" however on Seaweed I keep my screws, nuts, bolts, lock washers, etc. in spice jars in one particular locker. If I had space I'd mount them in a spice rack as that would be tidier. The larger jars have the heftier bolts. All are sorted by diameter (and thread count -- 20's are not with 32's) but not length. The finish washers are together in one jar.

Anyway PackMule, that's what I do.

Those snazzy little drawers don't work.
I have seen Plano fishing tackle boxes used to store nuts and bolts. They take up too much room to be useful for me, but perhaps that would work for you.

Addendum re RT Firefly post: I hesitate to say "great minds think alike" (having seen some of those gifs!) but, there you have it.

Last edited:
I can't begin to guess how many times I couldn't find what I knew I had somewhere and went out and bought the same item instead of searching for it.

Like the 4 soldering irons I now seem to have.

On the other hand, I just installed the CO detector I bought last year.

But don't worry, my hydrostatic release for the life raft is still sitting in the box.

You could throw a dockside garage sale Richard. I'd be following you to the dumpster so all that stuff could then get lost on my boat.

I don't know that it's the "best" however on Seaweed I keep my screws, nuts, bolts, lock washers, etc. in spice jars in one particular locker. If I had space I'd mount them in a spice rack as that would be tidier. The larger jars have the heftier bolts. All are sorted by diameter (and thread count -- 20's are not with 32's) but not length. The finish washers are together in one jar.

Anyway PackMule, that's what I do.

Those snazzy little drawers don't work.
I have seen Plano fishing tackle boxes used to store nuts and bolts. They take up too much room to be useful for me, but perhaps that would work for you.

Addendum re RT Firefly post: I hesitate to say "great minds think alike" (having seen some of those gifs!) but, there you have it.

Thanks
Janice

I like that idea.

We try for the one year rule (except for my tools and spares). If you haven't used it, worn it or eaten it, it goes. Well, sometimes. :blush:

When we were getting ready to move back to fairbanks from saint louis my wife decided to have a garage sale when I wasn't home.

Besides making a few hundred dollars we also greatly reduced the about of junk we're hauling back to Alaska.

I could never tell what was missing! :)

We try for the one year rule (except for my tools and spares). If you haven't used it, worn it or eaten it, it goes. Well, sometimes. :blush:

What else is there besides tools and spares?

I hit the mother lode.:dance::dance:

I found an bag with every type of those brass latches, etc. many of each type for every type on the boat.:dance:

time for a break.:D

The latches will come in handy for sure!
Four soldering irons, maybe you could get rid of two. I have not seen anyone use two soldering irons at one time but if you are trying to solder a big lug or something it may work. Otherwise it always good to have a spare iron.
My problems is I always want a spare of everything.... :)

ForumRunner_20150306_121601.jpg

Well my pilot house reorganization has expanded to include the engine room.

What you see in this photo is virtually all my spare parts that had been stored in a rush before departure.:eek:

Not shown are the many feet of all size hoses that are stored between the muffler and the battery box and about 40 Racor filters.

For every bin, large or small, I have a sheet of paper to list the contents. I'll then computerize that list in the coming weeks.

Pilot House is almost done. I also re wired the helm computer, AIS, router, Maretron, Wi-Fi and router so that they still have power if I turn off pilot house breaker. They now go thru individual switches and breakers, then to an independently powered breaker on helm distribution panel.

I also discovered that the first owner bought the same spare hose and belts kit from American Diesel that I did.

So while I've only changed the fan belt once in the last 2000 hours, I now have 4 new and two used.

I was curious how you knew that was your pilot house?

I was curious how you knew that was your pilot house?

Because the KK pilot house has so much storage space under the helm, that I had all that stuff hidden for the last two years:D

In repacking everything, the engine room spares in particular, I threw away three garbage cans of boxes and shipping material.

The last days in Rhode Island were hectic. It went right fromt he UPS truck into the ER. But I packed the ER well enough that in spite of the heavy weather, everything stayed nicely in place, except for the pipe wrench, but I have already told that story.:eek:

The only way I can ever find anything is to buy another one. Then you get to a certain point where you have enough of something (3 or 4 soldering irons) that you are able to find them when needed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom