Fin Stabilizer Vendors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Francois

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bluebonnet
Vessel Make
Chris Craft Constellation 500
I'm currently looking to install active fin stabilizers, I looked at Wesmar and Niaid so far.

Do anybody know about the IMTRA stab product they offer?

I would look at ABT, great fins. Also the optional STAR feature is pretty cool.

ABT/Trac, as far as I know, are the only fins that will center themselves and positively lock into position. That is a great, and very clever, feature. There is a spring loaded pin at the center point that is held in the out position hydraulically. If the system is turned off, or should fail, the fins will hydrodynamically center and the pin will lock them into position.

I cannot imagine trying to put in a locking pin manually in a big sea with flailing fins.

Also, they are well supported and extremely well built. I have them on my boat, and if I may say so, I made a very wise decision selecting that brand.

Call Justin at TRAC and discuss your needs with him.
+1 (954) 253-8047

For NAIAD call Vic. (954) 797-7566

Last edited:
I'll put in another :thumb: for ABT/Trak. In my opinion, they set the gold standard in the industry for product quality and customer support. Absolutely first-rate in every way.

I cannot imagine trying to put in a locking pin manually in a big sea with flailing fins.

I know literally nothing about fins so this is an educational opportunity for me. Why would you want to lock the fins in a big sea? Isn't that what they're for?

Thanks!
BD

I know literally nothing about fins so this is an educational opportunity for me. Why would you want to lock the fins in a big sea? Isn't that what they're for?

Thanks!
BD

If the system shuts down you lose hydralic pressure and the fins start flopping around in a seaway. So you have to lock them at center with pins.

If the system shuts down you lose hydraulic pressure and the fins start flopping around in a seaway. So you have to lock them at center with pins.

It's also an issue when you are at dock or anchor, and when hauled out. Once hydraulic power is shut down, the fins will either swing free, or slowly droop depending on how the hydraulics are designed. The locking mechanism addresses this.

If you want to see the details of stabilizers being installed in a 47' Grand Banks, read here Adventures of Tanglewood: Installing Stabilzers on a 47' Grand Banks

Thanks for the education!

Greetings,
Our Naiads have a switch position marked center. I expect if you have hydraulic pressure they will remain centered. I don't know how many times I've forgotten and tried to dock. It's like trying to swallow ping pong balls.

That is another advantage of the ABT/Trac. They know when you are going in reverse and will center themselves automatically. Really a fine piece of gear!

That is another advantage of the ABT/Trac. They know when you are going in reverse and will center themselves automatically. Really a fine piece of gear!

If you remember to turn them on! DOH!! :facepalm:

Thanks guys for all the replies. I'll look into the ABT brand (and did not know about the auto locking).

Our Naiads automatically center when gear is put into reverse, I believe in neutral also but would need to check to confirm. The Naiad system has been installed in Avalon since 2000, they have preformed very well over the last 14 yrs. with little required other than general preventative maintenance which has been minimal.

Yes any of the systems either have auto center hydraulicly or can be upgraded to it from what I've seen.

Not being centered is no big deal at the dock or hauled out. And rarely a problem at anchor unless it's very rolly and the fins are thumping around.

Yes our Naiad's center automatically when shifting into neutral. In fact that's how I center them when coming in to dock.

Back
Top Bottom