Starside's Electric Conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
despite a zillion posts yours is the only boat with an actual motor.

All the rest are engines. [:D]

I'm trying to figure out what this is a picture of. The yard sent it w no explanation. Looks like it's still on someone's work bench. Anyway, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1423060940.321488.jpg

I was asked by the yard about my stuffing box. It's recommended I go dripless but I just had it restuffed so told them to wait. Cost is significant at this point in the game.

They rec a hatch to view the stuffing box from the battery case but the shipwright also said he could make me a special mirror on a stick so I can see the box wo all this extra expense. Needless to say, I'm going with that. My thought is that the dripless stuffing box is in my future but what's the hurry since I just got it stuffed recently?

I prefer standard stuffing boxes over dripless. When a dripless starts to leak, you have more work to do than just snugging the stuffing gland.

But you do need good access to the seal, regardless of the type. Need to be able to get two hands on it to snug it up.

Will the hatch give you access? If it does... :thumb:

Yes but everything is becoming so expensive, I'm having to count pennies now. It doesn't help that I'm at the most expensive yard on the bay (seriously) & being a woman just confounds that reality. (Yes, I think boat yards charge women more!) anyway, sorry for that!

Maybe I should reconsider the hatch. It's just with a woodie, what should be $200 is always $1000 on an antique! Ugh.

Your stuffing box should be fine. You will just have to monitor it. A mirror on a long handle is also fine. I would leave it be, and put it on the check list to be monitored.

It's easy to understand how you feel. With a wooden boat (especially a classic) You are not the owner as much as the custodian. Remember, that the stuffing box has seen the boat through all these years. Why change now?

I prefer standard stuffing boxes over dripless. When a dripless starts to leak, you have more work to do than just snugging the stuffing gland.

:iagree:
A boating acquaintance almost lost his 50' boat last year after one of his dripless shaft seals completely failed, they were less than three years old. He was barely able to keep up with the water flow, but made it to a yard for an emergency haul out.

He almost had me convinced to switch over, but the new generation of stuffing materials has made it nearly a nonissue anymore.

I'd recommend using Gore type stuffing material if you haven't already. Virtually drip free.

If you can see the stuffing box with an inspection mirror, you can probably snug up the follower gland nuts/bolts with a socket, universal, and extension. Just firm up the universal with a bit of electrical tape. If your follower us a gland nut with thread you may have to make a special tool.

You'll need to snug up the gland follower just a bit during run in, after launch. Then if you use GFO, may not need to touch it again.

My issue w the present stuffing box is that when I first launched last year, I almost sank! They tightened the bolt & then I took my maiden cruise to St Mikes & almost sank again! I tightened the bolt to get home but noticed the bolt was stripped & getting harder to tighten. I got home to my slip on a Sunday & almost sank again! By then, the rate of water was steady & intense but no one was at the yard to haul me out. Thank god I had a working bilge pump but had to keep a charge on my battery all night til they hauled me out the next day. They restuffed but the bolt is still stripped.

I was a novice & just think of that - sinking by stuffing box is my biggest nightmare!

My fear now is that bolt is still stripped even though the box is restuffed. Keep in mind she's been out of the water all year now. I'm terrified of her relaunch but at least now, she'll get hauled out immediately. Still, u can see why I worry. I imagine the stuffing box will sink me again & the bolt can't be tightened & then they'll charge me even more cuz they'll have to remove everything to change the box. Now at least I can save that labor cost...

But the yard says the box is fine. They checked the stuffing but still -- that nightmare is fresh in my head!

Can you post a photo of the stuffing box as it is installed now? As you noted, that thing has to be right before you splash.

They assure me it's fine.

No pic yet cuz I haven't visited the yard in two weeks. Awful weather here but do plan to go early March. I'll be sure to address this. Meanwhile I requested an estimate for the access hatch - that may ease my mind.

You don't need the yard to make you a mirror on a stick. They are sold at tool shops everywhere.
I am confused about the threads being stripped, surely the yard can fix that easily or just replace the bolts for piece of mind.

Yes gore packing does not have to drip and I do not like those dripless systems. Some times old technology really is better.

I agree Mr bayview. Ms Starside, is there anyone in your area that knows a thing or two about wood boats you can contact?

You don't need the yard to make you a mirror on a stick. They are sold at tool shops everywhere.
I am confused about the threads being stripped, surely the yard can fix that easily or just replace the bolts for piece of mind.

Yes gore packing does not have to drip and I do not like those dripless systems. Some times old technology really is better.

Very good point re the mirror on a stick. It will probably cost me hundreds of dollars if the yard does it. Thanks for mentioning this. :)

You can't turn the nut to tighten it. It's stripped. The last yard had to hammer it tight which just confounded the problem.

I'll address this when I go again & ask about replacing the damaged nut. My thought was that since they didn't replace it when they restuffed it, I assumed it wasn't replaceable but now that I think about it, that doesn't make sense!

Ahhhhh clarity! (I tend to trust what the yards say but need to question things more.)

Starside, you should tell the yard to "get stuffed" (old Australian expression denoting criticism). They left a stripped bolt, which prevented tightening the gland; they would charge you heaps for an extendable mirror. Buy the dreaded phone/camera "selfie stick" and install a small mirror on it.
I made the decision to stay with the traditional gland. If it chews out packing and won`t seal, it or something associated needs a repair. My stbd one is fine, years post repack, constant problems with the port one eventually led to a bent propshaft as the culprit.

Starside, you should tell the yard to "get stuffed" (old Australian expression denoting criticism). They left a stripped bolt, which prevented tightening the gland; they would charge you heaps for an extendable mirror. Buy the dreaded phone/camera "selfie stick" and install a small mirror on it.
I made the decision to stay with the traditional gland. If it chews out packing and won`t seal, it or something associated needs a repair. My stbd one is fine, years post repack, constant problems with the port one eventually led to a bent propshaft as the culprit.

For the record, the stuffing box was repaired by another yard at my marina. my present yard is an old woodie boat yard w fine shipwrights. They are just expensive. A lot of woodies go there, so they are used to deep pockets. I'm the exception...the Steward who's always in the poor house! LOL

I'm going to try to keep my stuffing box but do plan to address that stripped nut/bolt. You need to be able to tighten it. No exception.

Starside, adjusting the stuffing box can be tricky to get them adjusted just right. I was taught they should drip 2 or 3 times a minute while the shaft is turning and not drip while not turning. I was going to suggest to have the rubber hose and hose clamps replaced while it was accessible, but when I was looking at the pics, I did not see any hose. Can you post a close-up picture of the stuffing box? You mentioned a nut is striped, is it the locking nut or the adjusting nut? Are the threads on the stuffing box housing OK?

""""""""""Can you post a close-up picture of the stuffing box? You mentioned a nut is striped, is it the locking nut or the adjusting nut? Are the threads on the stuffing box housing OK? """""""""""

If the threads on the main body of the stuffing box are ok then maybe you just need the stripped nut.
If it is the locking nut one could be made on a lathe. Actually even the packing nut could be made on a lathe.

You could also check with mfgr.such as Spartan Metals, Buck Algonquin, Perko, Groco all of whom make stuffing boxes. The dimensions and the threading will need to be measured to be able to check with the mfgrs. to see if they have a suitable replacment.

The box, from the photo, looks like my old Perko but most boxes look similar in photos like this.

Before jumping though find out the costs of all new vs repairs as making parts can be expensive.

I'm actually a newbie/novice & I'm not sure the difference. I can tell you it's the thing you tighten to stop the stuffing box from leaking.

Sorry...I'm truly a novice & don't know the terms.

I'll look for a pic...I have one somewhere...

Okay, here's an old picture of the stuffing box...

stuffingbox.jpg

it's right where the shaft meets the stuffing box...you can even kind of see how stripped/warped it is even in the picture above...

Ask the yard to send you some close up photos of the packing gland and how it is mounted. Have them send them to you, then post.

My thinking is to add a section of hose and a new factory gland, not that expensive. Advantage is it floats with motion of the shaft and motor vs being rigid to the hull.

But can't tell from the photo whether the hose mount thing is an option.

I'll ask the yard. Might take a few days, though.

Star: If you google stuffing box you will get a lot of info on the different types and functions of stuffing boxes..

Simply put they all use a two piece assemblies around the shaft that when forced together jam the rings of stuffing against the shaft tightly enough to prevent leaking but loose enough to allow shaft to rotate.

If newer gore packing is used no dripping is required.

Last edited:
Update: since my box was recently stuffed, I simply asked the yard to ensure it's in good working order & then to just cut out a access hole so I can get to it. That is, nothing fancy - no hatch or whatever - just a simple hole so I can adjust the stuffing box when necessary.

This isn't a perfect solution bc I will still need to remove 1 battery to get to it & the battery weighs 150 lbs! What this means is that I'll be dependent on finding someone to help me lift it...not ideal but for now, it's workable. That & I'll make sure my bilge pumps are in good working order!

Question - was the 3 cyl diesel kept or saved? I know you are tight on funds and that engine was likely at the end of it's service life. As an owner of that engine you should be paid for it. At a minimum it will have scrap value that some one may pocket. Or as a running take out engine has some value to some one somewhere. Maybe not in a "woodie" and yet it is a complete engine.

>>>>>>>>>>Action

Back
Top Bottom