View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 02:26 PM   #164
MikeD

City: Port Havelock
Vessel Name: Siesta
Vessel Model: Pelin Sterling 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post

proper vigilance is significantly easier with a sight bowl. And maintenance that is easier is maintenance that is more likely to happen!!!!
I have to agree!! I have just replaced injector nozzles and had my injector pump reconditioned in the last 2 weeks due to water in the fuel. Not a cheap exercise or a lesson that I want to learn again. Cost aside, it happened during one of the best summers we have had in years and I lost 2 weeks of boating time and that was extremely frustrating. The only saving grace was that the engine stopped while we were back in port and I therefore did no need an expesive tow back in.

Our primary griffin filter (equivalent to Racor) was originally located in really hard place to inspect on a regular basis, as it required all floor coverings (3 layers) and then the floor panels to be lifted. As part of the repairs, I have now had the filter moved to a much more accessible position so that the bowl can be checked easily and drained if necessary without all of the previous hassles.

"To fish or not to fish, what a silly question. "
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote