Old 02-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #42
Baker
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
OK guys here it is. I did not want to take over this thread. Maybe this will put it to bed.

Battery Saga
Hey BlueYonder,

Here it is. I live an 11 hour drive from my boat. Because of obligations at home, I may be away from the boat for fairly long periods.

I hired a crew of "ladies" to detail the boat. I never leave the air conditioners running. When I got to the boat time before last the air conditioning cooling water pump was running. Well, the "lady" came by for money, and I asked about the A/C being on. She said that it was only on for a couple of days. I showed her moss growing under the outlet. That had never happened before,. They weren't through. So, I told her to stay out of the electrical box, and turn no switches.

When I got back to the boat last time, several switches had been turn on, and the battery charger had been turned off. The house bank consisting of 2 LifeLine AGM 8d batteries was completely flat. Absolutely no register on any meter. I tried several days to do a reconditioning charge, but they would only accept about a 60% charge. Even with lite loading they would be down to 50% in about an hour. They were trashed.

We had planned a 10 day cruise down to Biscayne Bay and the upper Keys. I had to order the batteries, put flag terminals on them. By that time it was too late to go.

I fired the "ladies", and changed the lock on the boat. What a disaster.

Don
What age were the Lifelines??? This is relevant to the topic since this is the exact scenario I rationalize the extra money for AGM. My boat is rarely unattended for long periods of time. But I consider some of the extra money paid for AGM batteries insurance for events like this. Obviously it did not pay off in this case....unless the batteries were on their way out anyway.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote