Snubber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm converting to an all chain rode and am using this to attach my snubber to the chain.

71cfsgYVpAL._SL1500_.jpg

Thinking about using a two line snubber. Might even put one of those cool rubber thingamigigies in line and see how it does.

51or5%2B9kfYL._SL1000_.jpg

Because of my combo rode, I rarely need the snubber unless the waters are very shallow and the anchorage is tight with friends' boats. On the few occasions I need a snubber, I use a chain hook, too. Like Richard, I've never had it fall off. As you say, it's all about the proper rigging.

The artist who painted my boat in my avatar picture took it from an early morning picture taken at anchor by Giggitoni with the snubber in place. She accurately captured the bight as well as the deck chairs left on the foredeck from the previous night's stargazing. The only problem is that she swapped the chain for the snubber so links of chain show where there is actually snubber and vice versa.

img_304153_0_38a31edd93b9a5006b36b3d5488e8f2d.jpg

Wow thats very nice!!! Might need to get one made of our boat to hang up.

I'm converting to an all chain rode and am using this to attach my snubber to the chain.

71cfsgYVpAL._SL1500_.jpg

Thinking about using a two line snubber. Might even put one of those cool rubber thingamigigies in line and see how it does.

I talked to a good friend that had one, said he wasn't a huge fan of it. Maybe he'll chime in as to why.

I talked to a good friend that had one, said he wasn't a huge fan of it. Maybe he'll chime in as to why.

There are not allot of chain grabs that will stay attached if the chain goes slack.

Maybe I'm a worry wart because a standard chain grab would always have the weight of the chain holding the grab.

For a V-bridle snubber like the one we made up, the slotted plate chain grab stays put no matter what happens until such time that we pull the rode straight during anchor retrieval. At that point the grab falls off the chain and swings down on the bridle legs to hang back under the forefoot of the boat out of the way while we continue to retreive the anchor. Once it's up and stowed we pull in the bridle.

[/QUOTE

These rubber snubbers are the equivalent to adding about 6' to the existing nylon snubber rope.

I know which is cheaper and easier to install and they add nothing that nylon does not add.

There are not allot of chain grabs that will stay attached if the chain goes slack.

Maybe I'm a worry wart because a standard chain grab would always have the weight of the chain holding the grab.

I do think you may be overthinking it a tad, but it's your setup and you have the freedom to do what you want. If you want something that has absolute no possibility of falling off I would look at soft shackles. No where near as bulky as there's mantus chain grabs.

I've been using shockles. They are made with multiple strands of bungee cord. It looks like FlyWrights picture when used. Not sure if they make a size larger enough for a 90,000b boat. It won't come off until you want to remove it.

I think I am going to try a bridle setup this season. I'm trying to reduce sailing on anchor.

I think I am going to try a bridle setup this season. I'm trying to reduce sailing on anchor.

As I've mentioned in past posts, we use a V-bridle with our all-chain rode and have been now for some 15 years or so. We will also sometimes use a single-line snubber for short stays at anchor.

To be honest, I have not noticed any significant difference in the way the boat behaves when using our V-bridle or single-line snubbers. The boat still moves around with the current, of course, and the wind pushes it around, too.

Our boat has much more windage ahead of the center of yaw than aft of it, so it's inclined to "hunt" no matter what. If we really had an issue with this hunting, or sailing if you will, we could add a steady sail to the mast and boom which, like adding bigger feathers to the back of an arrow, would help reduce the hunting in the wind.

But the boat's moving around is of no consequence to us in smooth water.

Where it can become annoying is when we are anchored or on a mooring buoy and the waves are coming from one direction when the wind is coming from another. This is a not-uncommon occurance in some of the deeper, more narrow anchorages we frequent, particulary in strong or storm winds. The waves built by the wind can bend around when they enter these narrow anchorages and so tend to come straight down the length of the anchorage even though the wind is blowing across it at an angle. When this happens, boats will point more or less into the wind which puts them at an angle to the waves, which are sometiimes pretty steep and breaking.

So the boat takes on a corkscrewing motion which can be quite uncomfortable.

When these conditions are present or anticipated, we usually put out a stern anchor to hold the boat's bow into the waves. Then all we have to contend with is a pitching movement.

A technique we have not tried in this situation when on a moooring buoy although we have the hardware on board to do it, is to put a heavy-duty snatch block on the mooring line, let the mooring line out a fair amount, and then take the line attached to the snatch block itself all the way aft and haul it in so that the block forces the mooring line into a Vee. By adjusting the depth of the Vee, the boat can be made to sit off the mooring buoy at an angle. So the Vee would be adjusted to hold the boat into the waves even though the wind was trying to hold it at an an angle.

This is easier to illustrate than describe verbally. I think we first read about it in Earl Hinz's excellent The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring although I may be mistaken.

But so far, at least in our experience, we have not found the V-bridle snubber to make much difference in our boat's hunting while at anchor. Perhaps if one ran the legs of the snubber back to the midships hawses and cleats it might make a noticeable reduction in the hunting. But run through the bow hawses as ours is, we don't see that it does much to reduce hunting, at least not with our boat.

We didn't start using a V-bridle for this reason; as I say, the boat's hunting around some in the wind doesn't bother us.

Last edited:
I run my snubber line off to one side. This keeps the bow slightly off the wind and greatly reduces sailing (hunting) at anchor. "blue" line is snubber.

Attachments

• 16.gif
    16.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 366
I thought that a bridle would move the center of effort on the boat aft and reduce sailing. Some think it works, many don't. I was on a mooring one night in Annapolis, the wind was up and the swinging was pretty noticeable. I will try the idea of offsetting the snubber first. That looks like a good idea. Unfortunately, I'm still two months away from boating season.

Thanks for the advice and ideas

I thought that a bridle would move the center of effort on the boat aft and reduce sailing. Some think it works, many don't. I was on a mooring one night in Annapolis, the wind was up and the swinging was pretty noticeable. I will try the idea of offsetting the snubber first. That looks like a good idea. Unfortunately, I'm still two months away from boating season.

Thanks for the advice and ideas

Much swinging at anchor, or on a mooring, is unavoidable. its simply the wind veering, or shearing. This is especially true in 'sheltered' anchorages where wind might gust through gaps in trees or valleys in hills and might come from a variety of directions. Any vessel anchored in such an environment will 'sail' whether you use a bridle or single line snubber. The bridle might reduce the swinging - but you will only find out by trying on your own vessel and comparing it directly with other vessels of a similar type in the same location etc. You could set up a single line snubber and over an hour measure the angle of swing and then set up a bridle and measure the angle of swing.

Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom