Songs to a Time & Place

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Getting nostalgic for some reason tonight...

Do you have a song, that when you hear it, takes you back to a specific time and place?

"Calling all Angels" by Jane Siberry, (with KD Lang & performed live in this video) has me drifting back to when I would go bouldering (rockclimbing on house sized boulders) by myself. I'd put the walkman on, step up onto the rock, and climb in slow motion to the song. Awesome...

What's yours?

Takes me back to cruising most anywhere in the Out Islands on a nice calm afternoon:

And of course most anything by the Dr. when I'm thinking of Eleuthera:

Last edited:
Mason Williams, Classical Gas.
Summer 1967 or 68 Spending two weeks in the Ca. delta on a Folkboat, family of 5.How simple life was then.

This song has always spoken to me. It was originally recorded in 1981, a time in my life when things were not going well. This song seemed to just bring a sense of peace to me.

A hundred songs can take me back to a particular moment and place. Moody Blues, In Your Wildest Dreams - brings me back to a girlfriend between high school and college. I went a million miles away to college and we went separate ways. Wouldn't trade my wife and my life now for anything, but you wonder about the paths in life, the choices we make, the people who were so close for a few moments and then disappear. Sailing my Blue Jay on Long Island Sound at 19. That was a great time.

This song has always spoken to me. It was originally recorded in 1981, a time in my life when things were not going well. This song seemed to just bring a sense of peace to me.

Small world. I was watching this very Youtube last night. Saw the LRB with the original lineup in the 70s. Still about the tightest harmony I've ever heard. Jimmy Buffet was headlining, but many in the audience wanted the guys from Australia to stay on stage.

For me, few songs evoke childhood memories more than this--sadly abbreviated--live version by one of the greatest vocal athletes of all time.

Kidlet singing "Cinderelli, Cinderelli, night and day it's Cinderelli" when doing chores (when doing chores) -- She was adorable and it always made me smile. What an actress she was....

The Christmas classics make me smile (Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Frank Sinatra, Dino, and more)

I fell all over in love with those fellows while taking care of Mother. For Alzheimer's it's recommended you play music from their earlier days, so I did. And found I liked it better than my own music. I even pretend I can sing too.

Aboard Seaweed sometimes I go through music phases. Since Christmas I don't know if the radio (actually a flash drive with my favorites) has been on at all. Still, I don't hear well so perhaps I should listen now before it's too late, eh?

Obviously I'm not a musicologist, though I do enjoy background sounds. Too loud and the music drowns out spoken words leaving me adrift and alone. Note: That's not an entirely bad thing, especially when elections and political rhetoric explodes on the scene.

Steely Dan "My Old School" is my leaving the dock tune, cranked up loud. Also the Doors "LA Woman" gets the blood moving.

Wifey B: I know some of you will freak over these songs and think they're corny, especially at our age. So, a preface. Hubby and I both love music and singing. We have a music room at home. We take a keyboard and equipment with background tracks with us on the boat. We like all kinds of music.

So, our first night together. Naked and in bed. He sang to me for the first time.....omg....he sang "What Are You Doing The Rest of Your Life."

Then I sang to him. "When I Fall in Love"

We also sang them to each other at our wedding. Not naked then....

Hmmm. I think the only song I can think of that triggers any hot and steamy memories is Meatloaf's Paradise by the Dashboard Lights. Chevy Nova SS in my case, midnight blue. Wait, and ELO's Strange Magic. Moving along!...

In the early 80's I used to hitchhike from Kitimat to Prince Rupert, hop the ferry south, then hitchhike down Vancouver Island to get to Fine Art school in Vancouver. Heard Bruce Cockburn's "Water into Wine" for the first time on one of the rides, and it resonated with me in a big way. (Be patient with the intro...things pick up 1.5 minutes in);

Last edited:
Circa 1976.

Three O'clock in the morning drinking an improbable amount of very bad red wine in my university room, lit by the light of an enormous candle held by the loveliest girl I had ever set my eyes on. And I didn't even have the sense to tell her so. She shared the same name as Cohen's song

Last edited:

We need a little more of this.

Back
Top Bottom