What size television

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't want to hi-jack this thread but maybe this would be considered closely related.

I have a 120v TV and do like to watch the evening news when on the hook. So far haven't started the jenny just for that. What kind of inverter is best for a TV and how do you hook it up in terms of the plug arrangement? I would guess I would wire in a separate plug for the 120 v side of the inverter and would have to replug the TV when I switch from 120v ships power to inverter 120v.
I also have a 120v powered antenna amplifier which would have to be relocated near the inverter plug for the TV with the same switching arrangement.

Eric- You make a great point. We have a TV but mostly Captain Ron gets plugged in as I work on the boat or we put the LSU football game on if it is on a channel we can get. For me, listening to a hard rain as we go to sleep or the sound of a diesel engine pushing us along are much better.
We still have 2 boys at home- and when we drag them kicking and screaming to the boat the one thing they want to do is play video games. Same as when they are home. If I were a 14 old and had a chance to sleep overnight on a boat and get up early to drive a small dink around with a gasoline engine and pretend to fish you could not have stopped me from smiling all night. I wish it were different but have not figured out how to make it different. I suppose I could "relieve " the toys from the boys as I am inclined to do- but I am already considered way too cantankerous by todays standards. I would hope that as they get older the joy of a quiet anchorage and the perfect sunset on an uncloudy day will start to appeal to them:)

Forkliftt wrote:

Eric- You make a great point. We have a TV but mostly Captain Ron gets plugged in as I work on the boat or we put the LSU football game on if it is on a channel we can get. For me, listening to a hard rain as we go to sleep or the sound of a diesel engine pushing us along are much better.
We still have 2 boys at home- and when we drag them kicking and screaming to the boat the one thing they want to do is play video games. Same as when they are home. If I were a 14 old and had a chance to sleep overnight on a boat and get up early to drive a small dink around with a gasoline engine and pretend to fish you could not have stopped me from smiling all night. I wish it were different but have not figured out how to make it different. I suppose I could "relieve " the toys from the boys as I am inclined to do- but I am already considered way too cantankerous by todays standards. I would hope that as they get older the joy of a quiet anchorage and the perfect sunset on an uncloudy day will start to appeal to them:)
Steve,

Pretty soon a cute 14 year old girl will get the attention of one of them and then you will have more to worry about.

timjet wrote:

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but maybe this would be considered closely related.

I have a 120v TV and do like to watch the evening news when on the hook. So far haven't started the jenny just for that. What kind of inverter is best for a TV and how do you hook it up in terms of the plug arrangement? I would guess I would wire in a separate plug for the 120 v side of the inverter and would have to replug the TV when I switch from 120v ships power to inverter 120v.
I also have a 120v powered antenna amplifier which would have to be relocated near the inverter plug for the TV with the same switching arrangement.
An inexpensive modified sine wave inverter should suffice. The size will depend on your tv's wattage. But if your 120v tv is like mine,*which*actually receives 12v dc with a transformer (110v ac - 12v dc) built in to the plug, you can just skip the*transformer and you have a 12 volt tv. I didn't need to install mine as a 12v set-up but read about a boater that did this. Although for you your antenna amplifier would have to be capable of receiving 12v dc also which might just be. My*Glomex brand antenna amp is 12v dc that can also be 120v ac with the transformer plug.*

nomadwilly wrote:
I personally can't relate to idea of having a TV on one's boat. I think it's ridiculous much less making a discussion about what size to get. Do you guys realize you're addicted to TV?
It is not so much addicted to TV but to SPORTS.* I don't want to have to cut short my weekend on the boat to run home to catch the game!!!* Why not enjoy it on my boat, my second home?**
wink.gif

We got a 22" that fits in the space above the hanging locker in our master cabin.*

timjet wrote:

Tim, We permenetly wired in a 650 watt pure sine wave inverter for the "entertainment system". This is the 23 inch flat screen, satellite receiver, antenna booster and dvd recorder/player. The inverter only feed the outlets for these devices and they are always run off the inverter, whether on shore power or batteries. This protects the appliances from power surges and loss and we don't have to constantly switch back and forth. We have set it up this way for a few years now and it works quite well. Chuck

-- Edited by Capn Chuck on Wednesday 3rd of November 2010 01:36:59 PM

nomadwilly wrote:............ I personally can't relate to idea of having a TV on one's boat. I think it's ridiculous much less making a discussion about what size to get. Do you guys realize you're addicted to TV?

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 2nd of November 2010 11:35:57 AM
I don't understand why some people seem to be "proud" of their claim of not watching TV and try to belittle folks who do.* If you don't watch it fine.* That doesn't make someone better than someone else.

rwidman wrote:If you don't watch it fine.* That doesn't make someone better than someone else.
Hey, get with the program.* This is boating.* That means that whatever you do, it's not only better than what anybody else does, it's right, too.

We don't watch TV on the boat because we don't have one.* Well, we do, an ancient TV/VCR combo unit by Lloyd (how's that for a brand name?)* If we had a decent*TV and if it could receive stuff we'd probably watch it up to a point.

But we use our boat year round*as much as a getaway cabin as a boat.* It's a hundred mile drive from our house to our boat and we go up to it almost every weekend, even if it's just for a day.* But the boat is a "different world" for us, a chance to leave behind work and living in a busy urban area for at least a day.* So we rather like the fact that we are "cut off" from all the news and racket of television for a day or two.

But it could be fun to watch a movie sometimes*on a rainy night on the boat as an alternative to reading.* We just don't have a system on board and I'm too lazy to research the components, buy them, and install them.**Of course today all you need's a computer, which we have, so I guess we could watch movies or TV shows (via*Netflicks) if we really wanted to.

Yes, we don't have one either, wife prefers not, but I must admit, when out on a long 2 hr plus leg, I often think being able to watch the cricket test or some other sporting event, while holding the helm because I don't have an A/P would be good. Also just to keep up with the news etc, but I can live without it, that's for sure. I think if I ever did, I'd have to depart from the bigger the better idea expressed by others, as there is no really good place for big in our boat, and even if there was it would not be viewable from the helm, so I'd probably go for one of those aircraft type swing down models that you can swivel round all angles, but the largest screen on them is only about 20 inch, I think.

Peter B wrote:
I must admit, when out on a long 2 hr plus leg, I often think being able to watch the cricket test .........
Man, aint that the truth! Not being able to watch the "cricket test"? That* would be
a real bummer for me!
pc.gif
no.gif
*** (Just kidding!)

On Sunday we moved the TV out to the saloon (there is a hook up*into the HD antenna there and in the aft cabin) and we spent the rainy day watching football and getting boat projects done.* Life is good.

Like Marin, we don't watch TV on the boat simply because we don't have one, and as a result found it a great opportunity to get some reading done. Being very much a TV addict, I do get the shakes knowing it's not available. I have another addiction that helps with the TV separation, called "Laptop", which provides internet at some locations, and an occasional DVD movie. If I were any more into sports than I am, I think a 42" flat screen would be a necessity.

Peter B wrote:

I often think being able to watch the cricket test or some other sporting event, while holding the helm because I don't have an A/P would be good.
That might work in your waters, but up here right about the time you got concentrating on what the bowler was doing you'd slam your boat into a deadhead and the whole works would be on the bottom.* Getting distracted at the helm, autopilot or no autopilot, is a sure way to do some major damage given all the stuff in the water up here.

SeaHorse II wrote:Peter B wrote:
I must admit, when out on a long 2 hr plus leg, I often think being able to watch the cricket test .........
Man, aint that the truth! Not being able to watch the "cricket test"? That* would be
a real bummer for me!
pc.gif
no.gif
(Just kidding!)

Now Walt, don't be cheeky.* But yes, cricket is a slowish, tactical game, a bit like gridiron in fact.* The action only happens in short bursts, so quite easy to drive a boat and watch at same time, and quite safely too, Marin.* The speed my boat covers ground, and the speed of a good cricket test would ba a perfect match, I'd say.
By the way, all cracks aside, I have to admit I still don't understand gridiron, and even watchng the lingerie version the other night on Fox, I had to give up in the end...now what does that say......... ok, here come the cracks......

Back
Top Bottom