Installing USCG boat number

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably that the doc number thing is a joke and there is a HIN that they do take seriously that ID'S the boat anyhow.

With modern epoxy and wood fillers and paint a semi skilled person can make a routed set of #s disappear same goes for HIN and that is why newer boats have a hidden HIN and many owners are not aware of that or were # is.

My hull is a one off. Hand laid hull. No HIN#. Just the doc#. Made with a drill on a bulkhead in the engine room. Whoever put it in just drilled holes in the configuration of the numbers.
To me it is just a part of the charm of my boat. I'm leaving it like it is.

SD

I'm not real concerned with compliance because, as several have commented, pretty much any of these approaches would meet the requirements. I more want to do a neat job that is going to hold up, not make a giant mess, and most important, not be something that fails and has to be re-done.

Someone mentioned the engraved plaques. That's what I had on my last boat, and I attached it to the hull with 5200. I'm just going to do the same thing again, mostly because even I can't screw it up. When it comes to epoxy, fiberglass mat, and projects like that, I'm the guy who ends up with epoxy and mat all over me and everything else in the boat, and a registration number that is crooked and falling off.

Thanks Peter and Mark,

Yes, that's me too, except the crooked plaque would still fall off, probably in the middle of the Atlantic, hit the fan belt, be propelled into the racors at great velocity, break the plastic bowl and all my fuel would run into the bilge and promptly be pumped overboard, while I slept of course.:lol:

Just a quick update on this....

I decided to order a number board from DocumentationBoards.com. It's been over 2 weeks since I ordered and no board, so I contacted them the other day. I finally got a response saying they would start it over the weekend. So over two weeks and they haven't even started? I think they forgot my order. So far, I would not recommend them.

I had somewhat the same experiance, but I wasn't in a hurry. You would think two weeks would be enough time, but then again boat shows this time of year.

Boatdocumentationboat.com finally shipped my documentation board nearly 4 weeks after I placed the order. I give them a big thumbs down review:nonono: Terrible service, no communications, took my money right away and didn't ship for over 3 weeks.

Twisted, you sound impatient. Regardless, how's the quality of the plaque?

Back
Top Bottom