View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #21
Arctic Traveller
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
RE: Sorry, but I have an anchoring question...

Quote:
FF wrote:

HALF POWER???

Most mediocre props will create 20lbs of thrust for each HP applied.

Half power?* Naw,* we often use short bursts of FULL power (both engines and once the slack is out).* 20lbs of thrust in forward might be normal, but I wonder what you get in reverse, probably far less. Never had any problems at all, but we sure sleep better. Anyway, I believe in always setting the anchor as though a big storm was coming through in the middle of the night.* We try to set at least 7 to 1, but even with over 300 feet of chain, here in Alaska getting that kind of scope is often hard to do.* What is there to be gained by using shorter scope, or a minimal set?* Sure if* your in a crowded anchorage (rare here) you might be limited, but otherwise, I let it all out almost every time, set it hard, and simply get it back in the morning.* Sometimes it's difficult to pull the anchor out of the bottom, but sitting on top of it with the chain verticle for a few minutes normally does the job.* The weather changes so fast here that I dont' see any advantage to saving the wear on a little chain by keeping it in the locker............Arctic Traveller
Trawler training and yacht charters at www.arctictraveller.com

And Marin, your correct, new chain wheels are available, but being imported from Italy the price was a shocker.* Ours still pulls the anchor up fine, so it stays for now.**

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote