Old 01-29-2015, 09:58 PM   #18
bligh
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
The ultimate question is: how much money are we talking about? You have to weigh the cost vs the hassle of all the hoops you may have to jump through in the future or money out of your pocket to fix it. If it's just the principle of it, I suggest you swallow your pride and pay. You you wish you had if all this plays out. GOOD LUCK,!
X2.
how much money are we talking about? have you thought about asking him if he will go away for25-50% of the amount he is asking?
either way , you have a headache on your hands and if you have to hire a lawyer, how much is that going to cost?
I'm not saying dont hire a lawyer, but look for the cheapest route out, Unless you want to stick it to the guy, then just hire a lawyer first. A good lawyer may be able to prevent the lien from being placed in the first place.

(I have experience with property liens in California. They are very easy to file, but very difficult to enforce (ie file a claim to sell the property and get money for it).

I will say that from my experience with any vendor trying to collect money that is not due them (IMO), I immediately hire a lawyer to start writing letters to any and all parties involved. This has always worked in my favor (with qualified lawyers) and I feel the money spent on them was a wise investment.

The first letter sent to a vendor usually starts something like " Hi my name is lawyer 123 . I have been hired by so and so who says that you are trying to collect money that is not owed to you. My client says he paid you in full yada yada yada and does not owe you any money. Any further correspondence regarding this issue should be sent to me (lawyer 123). Any action against him will result in xyz."
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote