Boat listing websites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeveloperGuy

Is anyone else underwhelmed with the status quo of boat listing sites? The market leaders (yachtworld, boat trader) have dated designs and are overpriced for what they offer.

I am thinking of building a better boat listing site, but I would like a bit of feedback before I break ground on a new project. What are you guys looking for when you search for boats? If you have sold a boat through one of the existing services, can you tell me what were you unhappy with?

Is anyone else underwhelmed with the status quo of boat listing sites? The market leaders (yachtworld, boat trader) have dated designs and are overpriced for what they offer.

I am thinking of building a better boat listing site, but I would like a bit of feedback before I break ground on a new project. What are you guys looking for when you search for boats? If you have sold a boat through one of the existing services, can you tell me what were you unhappy with?

I use YW and my issue isn't with the listing site, it is with the owners, brokers and brokerages who list and the inconsistency of descriptions and technical details. Examples are:
1. Listings that try to get the viewer to go to an alternative site for pictures or technical details.
2. Fuzzy pictures is a real pet peeve of mine.
3. Pictures of something obscure and no description of what they are showing you.
4. Lack of technical details or equipment lists.
5. Same boat listed by multiple brokerages.
6. Vague identification of where the boat is located. If a boat is listed in FL, I really don't want to have to drive 600 miles to Pensacola to look at it. West Palm Beach, well, it is a nice 90 minute drive.
7. Oh yeah, every listing is owned by a knowledgeable owner who takes meticulous care of his boat even when it is sitting on the hard for 5 or so years and covered with bird poo.
8. Lack of engine hours and/or genny hours.
9. Pictures a CRT TVs that should have been in landfill a decade ago.

The one gripe I have about YW is the annoying advertising that slows down viewing the boat even after the brokerages have paid for the listing.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to rant!

I'm going to give you a name, no reason to reinvent the wheel: Edward Agabs. He had such a site that us brokers and buyer's loved for a fraction of the cost of Yachtworld. But back in 2011 the owners of Yachtworld made him an offer he couldn't refuse, then they promptly crashed the site and then linked it to Yachtworld months later when they finally got it "working". They fired all Edwards IT guys and brought in theirs who didn't know anything.
"Friend me" on Facebook and you can reach him, as he's my friend. We had long discussions about a new site. They made him sign a non-compete, but he can put you in touch with the fellow in India who built his. Edward is Russian. Good guy. I ended up with a Romanian fellow who built me a site. All the other poor bastards ended up having Yachtworld build them sites for top top top dollar. Its all about code.

my name is "Blake Davis" on Facebook. I'm in Ft. Pierce (not really, but that's the closest option I was given)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom