Portland survey Californian 42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to hear about the boat Deanooo, That boat is in row 1, I'm on row 2. Did you have Dale Price do the survey?
Yes dale was great. I'm still in discussions. We'll see what happens. Thanks for your concern. Sounds like there's a few from the area who cruise this site. That's awesome.

Best surveying the likely weaker side first, be it mechanical or general, you have the option to cancel the other part before incurring the cost.
Don`t be too disappointed, you`ll kiss some toads before you find a Princess. Good luck.

I've kissed a lot of friggin toad Bruce. Starting to think I have thing for them.

The one downside to the 42 is getting an engine out is a difficult proposition. It's not like a sportfisher where you can hoist it out, set it on the back deck and lift it off with a crane. The upside is the engine room is quite spacious if you need to dissassemble one or two.

You should have been there to see us dismantling the helm side cabin door frame to get the new Norcold fridge in!! We also had to dismount the fridge doors, trim and compressor. One person held the compressor, that was still attached by it's lines, while the rest of us slid the fridge through the opening with less than 1/2" clearance. :eek: The only other option was remove the port side windshield glass and slide it through!!

I'm familiar with the boat Deanooo. Excellent price initially. I toured it. The owner is Romanian? I was thinking about upgrading in size from my 38'. I decided against it when I saw that the previous owner had applied gloss polyeurthane on the entire interior, including Formica counters and metal fixtures! I also saw a lot of rust throughout mounts and components in the engine room. Not to mention the holes in the deck. I ran. There are better deals out there for sure. Good luck. You will find one soon! I've been thinking about searching for a sedan type trawler. If I do, would you be interested in an updated, clean and seaworthy 38? I would enjoy seeing the survey for that boat.

Edelweiss, is the 42 beam a bit wider than the 38? Are the hull characteristics the same? Where are you located out of?

Last edited:
If dave hoss from superior tops is from Longview, he does excellent work. He installed Bimini for me, inclusive of stainless. I suggest that you go with his higher end stainless fixtures if you use him. Well worth the few extra dollars. Good luck.

If dave hoss from superior tops is from Longview, he does excellent work. He installed Bimini for me, inclusive of stainless. I suggest that you go with his higher end stainless fixtures if you use him. Well worth the few extra dollars. Good luck.
I have him lined up. Thanks for the conformation of his work. As I said he was recommended and he delivered an estimate within 24 hours. Unfortunately the deal for that boat is going quickly south. I will be sure to use Dave if things change.

Edelweiss, is the 42 beam a bit wider than the 38? Are the hull characteristics the same? Where are you located out of?

I believe they are the same beam on the 37', 38' and 42'. 13' 6" or 8" whatever the official measure is! (My marina measured up my boat and determined it's 45' X 14' overall, including skiff and bow pulpit and moved me into a 46' slip instead of my 42') Marshall added 4 feet to the hull between the aft and forward salon bulkheads. The salon has one more window, an additional portside door and flybridge deck is 4' longer To my knowledge everything else is the same.

Back
Top Bottom