NW Alabama to The Little Tennessee River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
We decided to change our plans for this coming spring.
Instead of Ky. Lake - Ohio River- Cumberland River as originally planned, we are going in the opposite direction on the Tennessee River. We will put the previous plans off till next year. This spring, we will be going east on the Tennessee River to the Little Tennessee River and back to Joe Wheeler State park again in the late fall.
I am sure there will be a bunch of notable places to stop at and explore along the way. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Moonstruck will surely chime in here, but high on my list would be the Grand Canyon of the Tennessee, from Nickajack Dam to Chattanooga. Breathtaking scenery. Chattanooga is a great stop with wonderful docks and good restaurants/theaters within easy walking distance. Raccoon Mountain Pumped Storage plant is a TVA engineering marvel, but you'll need a car to get to the top. Your entire trip will be pretty much defined by the TVA dams and lakes. Their website, TVA.com, has links on the river system and each lake. Have fun!

Did someone call?:)

The trip up to Tellico Lake is a great cruise. Muscle Shoals, Huntsville, Guntersville, and Chattanooga are great stops. Plan on a few days at least in Chattanooga. I live one block off the waterfront down town. If I am home, I can take you most anywhere. There is much to see and do here. Watts Bar Lake is a jewel, and I think probably the best boating on the system.

Catching me in town will be kind of hit or miss. We are planning a pretty long trip north with the RV to Nova Scotia. Earlier we will be in Florida for a cruise or two on Moonstruck.

The best part of the river is my evening swim. Put the anchor down, jump in the water with a bar of ivory soap (it floats), and take a river bath. Love it.

Tony, You'll really enjoy the Chatanooga area if you like Civil War history. You'll be at the site of the Battle of Chicamauga. The Marine Max marina in Chatanooga is right downtown, within walking distance of the Aquarium and several museums and is relatively inexpensive. When you get in the vicinity of there, give me a call and I can meet you when you get to the LITTLE TN, by Knoxville. I'm at a great little marina up on the end of the Little TN at the confluence of the Little TN and the Tellico rivers. It's about as far as you can go on the Little TN. If you need to get to a good store or parts or whatever, I will give you a lift to it. The same goes for anybody else that gets to my neck of the woods. Ben (865) 233-3621

Tony, You'll really enjoy the Chatanooga area if you like Civil War history. You'll be at the site of the Battle of Chicamauga. The Marine Max marina in Chatanooga is right downtown, within walking distance of the Aquarium and several museums and is relatively inexpensive. When you get in the vicinity of there, give me a call and I can meet you when you get to the LITTLE TN, by Knoxville. I'm at a great little marina up on the end of the Little TN at the confluence of the Little TN and the Tellico rivers. It's about as far as you can go on the Little TN. If you need to get to a good store or parts or whatever, I will give you a lift to it. The same goes for anybody else that gets to my neck of the woods. Ben (865) 233-3621

For those that can't remember area code 865 just dial VOL.:D

Chattanooga and Knoxville are two of the most enjoyable towns you could find. They're naturally beautiful plus lot's of history in the area. So much to explore, especially Chattanooga. Otherwise, explore the lakes fully, not just staying in the main channel. Some wonderful areas off the beaten path. And as you get close to Knoxville, explore Watts Bar and Tellico and Loudon

Last edited:
Pictures taken on a search for cold water cruse taken annually when the lake surface temps get in the mid upper 80’s several boats travel up the Little T to just below Chilhowee Dam where the water temps are in the 50’s on a 90 degree day. On the way up we pass by the un finished Christensen Yachts factory (see picture). This is a great trip with Smokey Mountain views. Fort Loudoun is also just upstream from the 411 bridge a full scale replica of a British colonial-era fort built in 1756 the fort was one of the first significant British outposts west of the Appalachian Mountains. The fort has a museum and is open to the public. It has a nice deep water dock for those arriving by boat.

Attachments

• 2013 08 09_ColdWater2013_2549.jpg
    2013 08 09_ColdWater2013_2549.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 2013 08 10ColdWater2013_2280DS.jpg
    2013 08 10ColdWater2013_2280DS.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 2013 08 11_ColdWater2013_2335DS.jpg
    2013 08 11_ColdWater2013_2335DS.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 2013 08 11_ColdWater2013_2364SD.jpg
    2013 08 11_ColdWater2013_2364SD.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 177
Watts Bar Lake is our favorite! Hundreds of coves to drop the anchor and just kick back for as long as you like. During the week, it will seem you have the whole lake to your selves. Be sure and stop by Blue Springs Marina. A great stop with friendly staff, good restaurant and lots of fantastic boaters.

Fort Loudoun is also just upstream from the 411 bridge a full scale replica of a British colonial-era fort built in 1756 the fort was one of the first significant British outposts west of the Appalachian Mountains.

That's true, but our Tennessee Squirrel hunters gave the British what for at the Battle of Kings Mountain. That was enough for them red coats.:D

Schedule a stop at Goose Pond Marina, a great marina with a courtesy car available and a nice place for dinner. We keep our boat there and live close by, so give us a shout. Ray 850-896-6328.

Good choice Tony, once up on lake at Guntersville you will have Mountains on at least one side of the river all the way up. If you stop at Goose Pond, as well you should, Look up Ray in Post # 10. Great guy. The Restaurant there is not open on Sunday but worth the effort to visit. Owned by some great local people. Very Good food. I have tried it all. If you like to dally in quite Gunk Holes look at Jones cove just above Scottsboro’s BB ComerBridge. Big Coon Creek up near Stevenson at Mud Creek. Haven’t been in there in a while check your charts first on that place. More up on Nickajack lake. Don’tknow the names of those. We usually stay at Shell mound recreation area just out of Nickajack locks on the left. Public dock no power but its free. Fulltime Caretakers on site for a little safety. We usually go up to Chatt first weekend in November for the “Head of the Hooch” event. Quite spectacular. Do you have idea when you will pass here? Seems like you have been in Rogersville awhile.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

David

Last edited:
:angel:ALSO have great Golf Course here at Goose Pond. Should get a discount if you are staying at the Marina.

Last edited:
We have already been in Rogersville for 8 months. The admiral and I discussed our stay here the other day. We couldn't believe that we had been here so long. We pay our rent here 3 months at a time and so we are paid up through March. Probably slowly kick out of here last of March or beginning of April if weather and floating logs permit.
I will definitely be in touch with you guys. So far we have met several folks from this forum and some others that I am on. Looking forward to meeting more of you.

Trawler Forum ought to have a published book with all the members listed with a small box next to their name. As we meet, we fill it in the box with a personalized stamp. After a determined amount of stamps are in the book, we get a free year's membership on Trawler Forum. :rofl:

:flowers:I agree to the free membership. I am always glad to find like minded people in this forum to share adventures with. Did you all make it to baumhowers Shrimpfest event at Ala state parks this year? We made to the guntersville event the turnout was i think 3 times what was expected. Fun fun . Safe travels hope to meet you guys on your way through.

ToolBuddy

We missed the Shrimpfest this year. We were out of state at the time. I heard it was great.

BTW, I just realized we are neighbors. I had joined the Huntsville Power Squadron several months back. Where do you keep your boat?

We had joined the Huntsville Power Squadron several months back. Met some nice people there. I have been taking some courses and will take one more before we depart. I will definitely plan on a day or two in Goose Pond.

Tony B ,
Sounds like a great trip . I was looking forward to you coming this way . But honestly that sounds like more fun. I hope to that one someday myself .

Pack Mule

So was I, I will see you next year. I don't think that will change.
We were talking about going up that way and maybe returning to the coast for winter. I have got the Admiral 40% in favor of Cuba. Last month it was a "no way, Jose". That's making progress.

We're still trying to figure out where we want to go this year. I'am still wanting to return to Lake Michigan, the north channel and Lake Huron. There is also the desire to cruise the Tennessee River and the TennTom maybe even the gulf but I doubt I would go that far south. I've even thought that going up the Ohio River may be a interesting trip. I suspect what will happen is we'll leave the marina and decide then which direction to head. Maybe we'll see you somewhere along the way.

Ron

As far as I'm concerned, The Tenn-Tom don't have much to offer unless you are going to the Coast. I have never been on the Ohio so not much to say there other than I heard it and the Cumberland are really worth doing.
The Tennessee has really got me fired up on wanting to see more. I wont be happy till I see it all. This year is east/upstream, next year is north/downstream. After that, we are thinking the coast and possibly Cuba for the winter. After that, won't be much left except maybe the Loop. neither one of us really cares about the Loop for the Loop's sake, but once we hit Florida's east coast, it would probably make sense.
Hope we catch you somewhere along the way.

Right you are, Tony. The Tennessee has about 700 miles of some of the most cruisable waters of the inland rivers.:thumb:

Tony the TennTom would be just to get to Demopolis or the marina at Pickinsville, farther south and a little warmer during winter than Gunthersville. I told my wife today that if we went that far we may as well go to the gulf and genuine warmth. Cuba is a place that I've always wanted to visit, might be just to see all the old Detroit built cars still on the roads in daily use. After all the work getting done on the boat this year I suspect it'll be July or later before we have everything back in shape and ready to head out. I'am leaning to the Lake Michigan trip but that may change when we are actually ready to go, and my wife adds her $.02. Tony I think we will eventually run into each other sometime / somewhere along the inland rivers.

Tennessee River Springtime River Conditions

I'm planning on cruising again around first of April. Last year at that time, we were delayed for about 2 months near Mobile bay. The constant onslaught of spring rains and record breaking storms kept us from heading north. The logs and trash in the rivers were so bad, even tugs and oil field boats were laid up for long periods of time. I then learned from others that Springtime is not a good time for up river travel on the lower sections of Mobile Bay and northward to the Tenn-Tom.
My question now is: Should I delay my trip on the Tennessee River from NW Alabama to Knoxville, Tn. or are the river sections up here not as bad during April and early May?​

I'm planning on cruising again around first of April. Last year at that time, we were delayed for about 2 months near Mobile bay. The constant onslaught of spring rains and record breaking storms kept us from heading north. The logs and trash in the rivers were so bad, even tugs and oil field boats were laid up for long periods of time. I then learned from others that Springtime is not a good time for up river travel on the lower sections of Mobile Bay and northward to the Tenn-Tom.
My question now is: Should I delay my trip on the Tennessee River from NW Alabama to Knoxville, Tn. or are the river sections up here not as bad during April and early May?​

Unless we have monsoon type rains the river current should be reasonable. TVA does do some raising and lowering the lakes to flush some of the debris accumulated on the banks. It will stack up behind the dams where they clean it up. This flushing action will put a little more trash in the water, but no too bad. Just watch for it. Monsoon type rains, and all bets are off. The current is ripping, lots of debris, and pool levels are high.

Highly unlikely that anything will impact you on this trip. Yes with huge rains and wash off there will be more logs and trash, but nothing like you encountered last year.

Tony I doubt you will have any problems on your trip up the river, it will not be like the Ten-Tom. If we have a lot of rain you will notice some current that will slow you down a bit. We are planning a trip the middle of April going up the river from Goose Pond and we hope the weather will be ideal, with little trash in the river to concern us.

Ray

April is a green month on the Tennessee and the Little T, Dog woods and red buds in bloom.

Ray

Generally we only do about 50-60 miles/day. This time we are thinking of even less since we are going to spend about 6 months doing it with lots of anchoring out. We are paid up here till April 30th, so we will be ready to go anytime between end of March and first good weather report. Hopefully we will get to meet.

Tony B

PV

Thanks for the info. Hopefully we will get to meet you once we get up there.

Regards

Tony B

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom