A boat for Marin Faure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lurker;
We have a couple of the Ekornes Stressless in our Saloon. Didn't buy the footstools though, and have regretted that omission. The chairs are great, help make ours the boat dock wanderers like to stop off in.

Peter B wrote:You're a hard man to impress Marin, but each to his own....
When it comes to "machine aesthetics," be it a boat, vehicle, railroad locomotive, airplane, you name it, I have very specific--- and very few--- design elements I like in each category.* Everything else I either don't like or ignore.* I also put perhaps a greater emphasis on form rather then function than a lot of other people do.* I won't buy something--- be it a computer or a car, or whatever--- unless I like the look of it as well as the features and operation.* But I suspect many, if not most people are like this to a degree.

But when it comes to boats there are very few that I truly like.* Most boats I see today range-- in my opinion--- from uninteresting to downright ugly.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 11:47:28 AM

Marin wrote:

Peter B wrote:You're a hard man to impress Marin, but each to his own....
When it comes to "machine aesthetics," be it a boat, vehicle, railroad locomotive, airplane, you name it, I have very specific--- and very few--- design elements I like in each category.* Everything else I either don't like or ignore.* I also put perhaps a greater emphasis on form rather then function than a lot of other people do.* I won't buy something--- be it a computer or a car, or whatever--- unless I like the look of it as well as the features and operation.* But I suspect many, if not most people are like this to a degree.

But when it comes to boats there are very few that I truly like.* Most boats I see today range-- in my opinion--- from uninteresting to downright ugly.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 11:47:28 AM

Here is another of Marin's boats of choice. She's the Lady Washington. I shot this with my point and shoot while Marin had two cameramen aboard the Lady Wa., and one on my boat. You pirate fans might recognize the Lady from Pirates of the Caribbean, although she sported different colors for the movie.

-- Edited by Carey on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 04:36:31 PM

Attachments

• dscn1795.jpg
    dscn1795.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 56
  • dscn1775.jpg
    dscn1775.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 71
  • dscn1767.jpg
    dscn1767.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 61
  • dscn1790.jpg
    dscn1790.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 64
  • dscn1766.jpg
    dscn1766.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 62
I dunno. That stepped up poop deck make her look a bit high. Needs an unstepped sheer.
smile.gif

-- Edited by dwhatty on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 04:42:04 PM

Lol

dwhatty wrote:

I dunno. That stepped up poop deck make her look a bit high. Needs an unstepped sheer.
smile.gif

-- Edited by dwhatty on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 04:42:04 PM
Your'e right about that. I completely forgot the sheer.*
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif
no.gif

Actually I don't find ships/boats like the Lady Washington all that attractive aesthetically. I used her for the film because she (or rather the original Lady Washington) was a contemporary design to Capt. Vancouver's Discovery. The two ships apparently actually met somewhere off the Columbia River. Discovery was three masts where the Lady is two, but she stood in nicely as "Vancouver's ship" for the purposes of the film.

In terms of aesthetics, I don't feel that things have to be all swoopy and smooth to be good looking.* But if they're not, they need to be all angles and corners in the right way.** THIS is what I consider to be great aesthetics for this type of machine.** This shot was taken during another film shoot, but while I could tell the railroad what I wanted them to do with it I couldn't persuade them to let me drive it although I gave it a good*try.* It was brand new so they probalby didn't want to risk having me scratch it.*
cry.gif

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 05:39:03 PM

Attachments

• bnsf.jpg
    bnsf.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 67
BaltimoreLurker wrote:
I notice you have a couple of the Ekornes stressless recliners aboard.* How are they working out for you?* I just ordered one for myself.
Lurker: *Can't exactly say yet. *I don't have enough hours in them to have an opinion, but I for sure, I can't decide which of them is the most comfortable. *We've got one for him and one for her, but in my studies of cruising, it is one of the items on the "most needed" list by experienced cruisers. *By the way I'm also a Baltimoron.

Attachments

• 2214691_2.jpg
    2214691_2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 2214691_3.jpg
    2214691_3.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 62
Marin wrote:

I also agree. *And while my taste in boats is subject to my romance with their lines, I seem to compromise on the looks before practicality, which is evident in my boat selection. *But, I have also been a researcher and restorer of some of the ugliest machines ever built. *The thought that I could make people love my beautifully ugly (but practical) restorations somehow spilled over into boatdom, but I also find Marin's statement very true....that "most" boats today are just blasé bars of the same, boring soap. *And when it comes to ugly, I'll settle for ugly and old before ugly and new.

Well, I personally relate to the concept of 'form following function'. In other words it has to look the business. The shape describing what it does, and with clearly nothing about it purely for 'looks', at the same time there is a certain beauty in something where the form explains the function. On the other hand I also like symmetry, so I doubt I could live with one of those boats like Beneteau & some others make, where for example, one side deck is narrower than the other just to make more room in the saloon. Yechk...!

Lurker: *Can't exactly say yet. *I don't have enough hours in them to have an opinion, but I for sure, I can't decide which of them is the most comfortable. *We've got one for him and one for her, but in my studies of cruising, it is one of the items on the "most needed" list by experienced cruisers. *By the way I'm also a Baltimoron.
My Kensington arrived a few weeks ago.* It was outrageously expensive, but man, is that one comfortable chair or what!* I love it.

A fellow Baltimoron?* Have you ever been tied up along the walk in front of Harborplace?* If so, I believe I have walked right by your boat.* You may have noticed some suspicious character walking back and forth eyeballing your boat.* It's a* KK Manatee, right?* I wanted to check it out but thought it might be a bit presumptuous for a total stranger to invite himself aboard.

Back
Top Bottom