Why am I so sad that I am going to miss the big storm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even if it only snows 1/2 inch it will be named a DISASTER !! and the federal funds will slush forth.

AS usual,

Until one has been chased around a bit by a brown bear who's pissed that you've trespassed into his yard, one doesn't fully grasp the meaning of "being alive.":)
Do you have any photos of your Brown Bear encounters? here are a few of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 55
It's almost stopped in NW Ct and we only got about 6 inches really no big deal around here.

It's almost stopped in NW Ct and we only got about 6 inches really no big deal around here.

Yep, that's what my wife said:facepalm:

Having grown up in Hawaii, in my opinion there is no such thing as too much snow. I wish what happens in New England would happen here every winter too (the snow part, not the deep freeze part as then we'd have to haul and winterize our boats instead of using them all year).

We've got the vehicles and the driving skill to deal with a major snowfall, so all we have to do is wait a day or so for all the people who don't to go into the ditch and then the driving is great.

As it is, we have to go up into the BC interior or over to Montana to get a heavy snow fix.

If I never see the sun and blue sky again, it will be just fine with me. Give me rain, snow, overcast, fog, all that stuff. Fortunately I have a wife who feels exactly the same way (she's from here).

The only thing we don't want is wind when we want to go flying, fishing, or boating. The rest of the time wind is great, too.

As my wife puts it, weather makes me feel alive and part of something exciting. I've had way more than my quota of staggeringly boring weather in Hawaii. I look at the pictures people put up on this forum of Florida and the Keys and Bermuda and the Gulf Coast and the only thing I feel is pity for the poor souls who are stuck there day after day after day after day after day after day after day......

I've seen a lotta, lotta places in the course of my work and vacations so far. And while I've seen some fascinating stuff all over the planet, and there are a lot more things I'd like to see, there is no place I would rather live day after day than the area between Puget Sound and the top of SE Alaska.

Seattle sucks as cities go, but it's not very big and one can get away from it into a completely different environment in 30 minutes. Now if we can just convince half the population that what they really want to do is move to where it's sunny all the time, then we'd really have something here.......

I've got to hand it to you Marin, you certainly can hit the nail on the head and offend half the world while doing it. But as a famous person once said,
"It's not an attitude, it's a fact".:angel:

You describe the feeling so well of wanting to feel weather, as in feeling life.

It's why I've always loved temperate climates, hated the two years i was in southern Calif and loved Alaska.

And it why I love the ocean and being in the middle of the ocean. Feeling prepared, and going where few venture.

I lived in Seattle in the early 70's. They had a real influx of people, many from California in the 80's, in large part because of one of those Nino/Nina things, the Pac NW was very dry and warm in the 80's, so a lot of people moved up there and made it just like the place they escaped from.

Glad you like the Northwest, it is beautiful. I lived in Gig Harbor for four years. My wife said that by May, I was intolerably grumpy because I hadn't seen the sun since October. I loved summers on Puget Sound, winters, not so much. I don't think I would want to live there again. I like hot and sunny with water I can swim in.

I loved summers on Puget Sound, winters, not so much. I don't think I would want to live there again.

Yes, our winters are an excellent form of population control. I only wish they continued for the whole year. One sunny day per month is about all I can tolerate. Afrer that I start getting really pissed off because I made a major effort to escape sunny weather after living in it for almost three decades, and the last thing I want is to live in it again.

As for swimming in warm water, after a few iffy experiences in Hawaii I developed my philosophy regarding the ocean. And that is: The ocean is full of animals with really big teeth. They don't come out and bother me, so I don't go in and bother them. If I want to go swimming, well, that's why they invented heated swimming pools. Photo is the view from the house we use in France. No large-toothed animals in sight except some cows.:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 45
No. We were too busy fending the bear off in each situation to take photos.
We fended them off first, then took photos.:whistling:

Let's chip in and buy Marin a sunlamp. I think he is suffering from seasonal affective disorder.

Let's chip in and buy Marin a sunlamp. I think he is suffering from seasonal affective disorder.

I had a stupid sunlamp for almsot 30 years. I couldn't get rid of the damn thing as it was too high in the sky to turn off and throw away.

If I'd gown up and lived in a place with actual seasons I probably would not detest boring, sunny weather as much as I do. But after 30 years of the same damn thing day after day after day, I'm done with it. I had seasonal disorder over there, not here.:)

I agree with these guys. Perfect weasther to be out and about and having a great time.

Attachments

• Snow 1.jpg
    Snow 1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Snow 2.jpg
    Snow 2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 95
Marin, at least you're consistent. :D

Attachments

• Oscar_the_Grouch_design_Go_Away!!.jpg
    Oscar_the_Grouch_design_Go_Away!!.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 75
Marin, at least you're consistent. :D

My mommy was a tough, young newspaper reporter for Hearst during WWII and later went on to become the highest ranking, non-elected, non-appointed manager in the Honolulu City and County government. She broke the glass ceiling long before the term had been invented.

While I don't remember her ever sitting me down and telling me this, being around her taught me to always say what I think, never sacrifice honesty for the sake of tact or "feelings," (what today we call political correctness), never back down from a position you believe in, and above all, be consistent.

This approach to life has served me extremely well in the profession I ended up working in.

They found your snow Richard . . . . . :whistling:

Attachments

• 2ft snow.jpg
    2ft snow.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 84
They found your snow Richard . . . . . :whistling:

LOL! Acutally we got that, and more where it drifted. Just finished shoveling out a path so the gas man can deliver. I'm getting too old for this.

Attachments

• IMG_0912.jpg
    IMG_0912.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 98
Instead, it's 34° and the winds been out of the north st 12 to 25 knots for two days.

I much prefer the quiet cold of Fairbanks.

But then Dauntless couldn't be there.

Back
Top Bottom