"The Jewel of the San Diego Boat Show"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I attended the S.D. Boat show over the week end fell head over heels in love with a 43 foot boat. Oh, there were many other boats (considerably larger) that were head turners but nothing as nice as this 7 year old Selene. I have never seen a boat as well maintained as this boat! I toured her 3 different days, looking for any pimples and warts that I may have missed but came up with nothing. Her owner, a physician, who most likely suffers from OCD, has equipped her with only the best.

2007 Selene 43 Ocean Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Attachments

• Selene 43.jpg
    Selene 43.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 139
That sure is a purdy boat. Like sign, that sure I a lotta moola... But I bet she is worth it.

I attended the S.D. Boat show over the week end fell head over heels in love with a 43 foot boat. Oh, there were many other boats (considerably larger) that were head turners but nothing as nice as this 7 year old Selene. I have never seen a boat as well maintained as this boat! I toured her 3 different days, looking for any pimples and warts that I may have missed but came up with nothing. Her owner, a physician, who most likely suffers from OCD, has equipped her with only the best.

It is a beautiful boat. One thing that I use to hear from a relative who purchased a lot of used cars was to look on the lot of a new car dealer for their brand. Likely the customer was satisfied to come back and trade it in. This boat is a Selene owner moving to a new larger Selene. To me that's a very nice evaluation of the boat.

I agree, that is a very pretty boat. Maybe a little overpriced as a friend recently bought a 2007 Nordhavn 47 for about the same money.

I wonder about the helm and the lack of a helm seat. When in tight quarters or even following a channel down the ICW do you stand all of the time? It sure would be tiring to get up and down from that pilot's seat to make course corrections every minute or so.

David

I wonder about the helm and the lack of a helm seat. When in tight quarters or even following a channel down the ICW do you stand all of the time? It sure would be tiring to get up and down from that pilot's seat to make course corrections every minute or so.
I completely forgot that..... You are absolutely correct!:facepalm:

If it has a remote controlled auto pilot rising from the seat for course corrections would not be needed.

Some people use portable/folding helm seats...makes for nice room sometimes but useless in heavy seas...fine for the ICW and Fairweather boating.

Good point about the AP remote..it is what I do as the Albin helm on my boat is the worst I have ever sat in.....

If it has a remote controlled auto pilot rising from the seat for course corrections would not be needed.
Excellent point! I don't have a remote on my boat. In fact my charting looks very much like this.

Attachments

• nav chart.jpg
    nav chart.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 121
I attended the S.D. Boat show over the week end fell head over heels in love with a 43 foot boat.

You once said that Selene interiors were too chopped up for your taste. :)

You once said that Selene interiors were too chopped up for your taste. :)
And I'm sticking with that comment!
My previous comments on the Selene 43 were about the condition I found the boat to be in. But thanks anyway for remembering!:angel:

I agree about the seating. Mostly I would have to use the flybridge steering. Movable seats would be a terrible idea in my area with all the wakes. I want seating that keeps me in place with wakes or beam seas. Even up top that boat has poor visibility close in front but that seems a common design error.

People designing those boats have probably never run them any distance.

Well, ok I am biased to Selene's. I mean they are on the trawler forum banner, looks like they may be in the upcoming trawler forum T-shirts, oh and we own one :) But she does look a bit overpriced. I know I know no one gets what they list her for. But still.

There's a Selene 53 in Annapolis for the same price (I know she has some issues having looked at her during our search). But still....

Well, ok I am biased to Selene's. I mean they are on the trawler forum banner, looks like they may be in the upcoming trawler forum T-shirts, oh and we own one :) But she does look a bit overpriced. I know I know no one gets what they list her for. But still.

There's a Selene 53 in Annapolis for the same price (I know she has some issues having looked at her during our search). But still....

I've never known a Selene owner who didn't feel the same way so they must be doing something right.

It's still an 8 Kt boat, Spiegel. I thought you wanted to go faster than 8 Kts.

But I suppose in that level of comfort, 8 Kts would be easier to take.

Band: we couldn't be happier with her. But if I keep talking I'll start to sound like a commercial. So I'll be quiet now.

Band: we couldn't be happier with her. But if I keep talking I'll start to sound like a commercial. So I'll be quiet now.

Nope just keep on extolling the Selene's virtues.. there are plenty of us that ramble on the Nordy virtues so sell away. The Selene's are very attractive boats.

HOLLYWOOD

Yes, it's certainly a great looking boat :thumb:; I have always liked Selene's and I think they keep getting better & better as time goes on. I also look at Krogens, I like those those too. The best boat for you is always dependent on your mission though, whether you want to cruise the coast, or cross oceans. All & all, it's a sweet boat.

The lack of helm chair may not be as inappropriate as it first appears, IF there is a remote control head for the autopilot, located at the bench seat. I have certainly seen this feature before though. For just steering, this is fine. If you have some close quarter maneuvering to do with both wheel & throttle action, you'd probably want to be standing anyway. I know I do.

There are certain brands of boats that it is extremely difficult if not impossible to find dissatisfied owners of. Selene, Fleming, KK. We even had a thread recently that showed how hard it is for Bayliner although I think the used boat buyer would be a bit more tolerant than a new boat buyer. Very few unhappy with Nordhavn although they seem exceptionally tolerant of first year shake down issues, but then that's to Nordhavn's credit if they've set expectations reasonable with their customers and met them. There are others I haven't heard owners express regrets over such as Diesel Duck and Defever. I've spent my life around Sea Rays and with their huge volumes have been amazed at the level of customer satisfaction, although certainly not perfect. I don't think any of the above would be perfect with that number of customers.

I will say the vast majority of boat builders do a good job of delivering quality that meets their customer's expectations and needs. Very few bad brands, perhaps because they tend to fall by the wayside.

bandb

An open forum is hardly the place for an honest owner to lament the failures of a particular vessel. I just spent a few days at the Seattle Boat Show and all brokers and sellers loved their vessels. It would seem there is not a bad boat out there.

I will say the machinery space on the 164 Westport was pretty good. After that viewing all others were lesser lights.

It's still an 8 Kt boat, Spiegel. I thought you wanted to go faster than 8 Kts..
Again, my comments were on the absolutely bristol condition of the Selene 43. "I have never seen a better maintained boat in my life." And yes, I do want to go faster than 8 knots.

Again, my comments were on the absolutely bristol condition of the Selene 43. "I have never seen a better maintained boat in my life." And yes, I do want to go faster than 8 knots.

Where ya going?

If you're in such a hurry, 'ya shoulda' left yesterday! :)

bandb

An open forum is hardly the place for an honest owner to lament the failures of a particular vessel. I just spent a few days at the Seattle Boat Show and all brokers and sellers loved their vessels. It would seem there is not a bad boat out there.

I will say the machinery space on the 164 Westport was pretty good. After that viewing all others were lesser lights.

Yes it does have pretty decent space. Well kept boat too. Owner was former owner of Westport and built a new 164 for himself. I know the captain of the boat if you have any questions before making your purchase.

The 164 has an interesting history in that Orin Edson, who just sold WP, had Admiral build him one when they were building in the area. Daryl Wakefield, current President of WP ran Admiral's facility. Orin then buys Pacific Mariner and then buys Westport. Their largest is a 130'. So then WP builds a 164. He "purchased" one.

Now, why is 164 such a common size? It measures with an ITC tonnage for documentation of 498 tons so just under the 500 ton threshold.

Nope just keep on extolling the Selene's virtues.. there are plenty of us that ramble on the Nordy virtues so sell away. The Selene's are very attractive boats.
Interesting, coming from an Ocean Alex owner! My wife and I had an Ocean Alexander Sedan, 42 years ago and we still curse the day we ever sold it. It was the perfect Southern Cal boat.....2 state rooms (2nd room had side by side twins) 20 knots, great visibility, neat cockpit, etc. We continue to this day, trying to find a cherry condition OA 42 to relive the good old days. (Except in the good old days, we were spending just shy of a dollar a gallon.):blush:

Attachments

• OA 42.jpg
    OA 42.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 98
Back
Top Bottom