Awkward situation...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was a sailor before buying a trawler so I know lots of sailors. I can't think of a single one that does not have and use a radio. Plus I came across plenty of oblivious power boaters. Although some were oblivious, others were just plain rude or just didn't give a flip about anyone but themselves. People are people no matter what kind of boat their on. If a jerk trades in his sailboat for a power boat he will still be a jerk and vise verses.

Spent most of the season like this in the mid 80's. Yes, all the electricity was on.

Attachments

• C P.jpg
    C P.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 122
Never thought I wanted to walk on water, Now I am sure. Sure throws a puzzle in to the old adage water and electricity do not mix. seems they are mixing quite well. Odd, to say the least.
As to the original question as whether to impart the information of the power cord, I say share the information. You could be saving a life. I think I would at least leave a note as suggested if I did not know the captain or owner. How they receive the important information would be there choice. If some bad thing happened from the ignorance of an event that I witnessed I would share some of the grief. Follow your own instinct. Safety should be my first consideration. Good thread that touches what can be a sticky conversation. Thanks for posing this dilemma

Last edited:
The attitude is simple. "It works fine". Most don't consider any other aspects. To them it either works or doesn't work. You can bet they maintain other things on their boat similarly.

There is the possibility the crew told the skipper and when they got back he flushed and sprayed the connection.

Could always invent something to say to see if that happened without being blunt.

I take the power cord with me, and would never leave it to any guest to disconnect that. However, in this situation, I think, if I had access to his finger, I'd just quietly go over and give the thing a quick fresh water wash, a squirt of CRC into the plug, and let it go. I don't think much harm would arise with such a quick dunk anyway, so no biggie.

I've done the same. It's not a big deal to take care of a situation immediately. Each month, on the first, I spray every plug with CRC -- not sure if it does any good but it certainly does no harm.

Personally, I'd want to know if something similar happened, either via a note on the cord or a conversation. Preferably both.

In my opinion.

Just curious if anybody is using the new SmartPlugs and what you think of them?

Smart Plugs

Just curious if anybody is using the new SmartPlugs and what you think of them?

We converted to a Smart Plug a little over a year ago when our old shore power connector started showing some signs of heat. Installed it myself. So far it has been working great.
Like the positive locking features and the fact that there is a heat sensor built in. A nice little bonus is that our insurance company gives us a premium reduction for having the Smart Plug installed.

The picture of the flooded docks was at Cedar Point Marina, Sandusky Ohio, At that time one of the largest marinas on Lake Erie. High water that year.

Before spraying soak it in fresh water shake it out and let dry then use CRC then anti corrosion spray. Best to pull back the cover for access to everything. Water will wick up the wires so you want to try to get all the salt out.

Here are a couple of links.

Compass Marine How To Really good article with dissected plug parts compared

Panbo

West Marine certainly is a believer

If anyone is interested in these my brother is a dealer and has doing some special pricing for several boat owners groups... I can email you contact info.

Nice that insurance co's are recognizing & rewarding those that switch.
I'm also waiting to see if the cause of the recent Calif marina fire is electrical.

Last edited:
Talked to the owner this week-end. When he returned from his sail, he went to plug in the connector and salt water ran out it so he knew it had fallen in the drink. He took it to a shop where they cut off a foot of the cable and put on a new plug. It was a 50 amp power cord and cost him $400. How's that for an expensive lesson?

Greetings,
Mr. B. No 50 amp Smartplug yet as far as I know and the last time I checked, there was some question about UL approval pending.

I have found that Common Sense is an oxymoron, and it's optional equipment on humans...

Last edited:
Also ridiculous.....till high resistance was noted....what a waste of money.

Knowing what to do trumps panic spending everytime.

Well if you can't cut back the cord and change, or clean and lube, your own shore cord plug, you either better have a fat wallet or you shouldn't own a boat.

RTF
Check the SmartPlug website - they now list the 50Amp plugs & inlets
Also Re: UL Approval...

"SmartPlug's 30 & 50 Amp Inlets and Connectors have passed all required testing for product safety certification by Intertek Testing Services and are now listed as ETL certified products. The ETL Listed Mark is proof of compliance with US & Canadian safety standards."

Last edited:
RTF
Check the SmartPlug website - they now list the 50Amp plugs & inlets
Also Re: UL Approval...

"SmartPlug's 30 & 50 Amp Inlets and Connectors have passed all required testing for product safety certification by Intertek Testing Services and are now listed as ETL certified products. The ETL Listed Mark is proof of compliance with US & Canadian safety standards."

Yes, but note that it does not say "UL Approved".

My understanding is that they can never be UL approved because part of the approval is that the plug shape meets standards. So unless you use the standard 30 amp plug shape you'll never get approved.

When we bought our boat I did not like the look of the plug. Plus the genius that built our boat put the flybridge drain directly over the shore power connection. I decided to get rid of it. I cut the end off of it and wired it directly to the main lugs of the panel. I don't need to remove the cord from the boat anyway, and screwed to the main lugs is the most secure electrical connection you are going to get. When not in use I just roll up the cord and stow it behind a seat on the flybridge. Another plus is that it does not stick out into the walkway.

DSCN7449.jpg

Greetings,
According to THIS site. ETL compliance is accepted as equivalent to UL/CSA/CE. At least that's the way I interpret it. My only concern regarding certification was for an insurance claim situation. UL, CSA, ETL and CE: Whats the Difference?

That's a good question.....

Not sure I have ever heard that an insurance claim can be denied unless they have specified....both equipment and who does the work.

Anyone with personal experience or one of our legal/insurance pros out there?

Greetings,
Mr. ps. I suspect, and I may be wrong, that the condition of one's vessel and the equipment on board may have some bearing on an insurance claim. During our recent insurance "survey" which was absolutely necessary for policy renewal a number of "issues" were pointed out as not being in compliance with AYBC (don't get me started on THAT foolishness-Had to bit my tongue numerous times) "standards" (ya right!). It's not a leap of the imagination for a claim to be turned down if, say, your shore power cord was not certified by an underwriting agency (UL etc.).

I agree with RT Firefly's post #54.

In the facility where I work, some of our electrical appliances are UL approved, some are ETL (Intertek).

ETL is a competitor to UL.

Often times ETL is cheaper to use, but, that is changing. (Products we make have to be certified by ETL or UL, VERY costly)

In the home type market we are in, most code folks across the states recognize either agency, there are still some that only recognize the UL markings.

All large retailers recognize either.

This issue hits home, over the decades I have dropped the cord into the water many times but being a life long fresh water boater it was a non-event. A few years ago I was introduced to the alternate universe of salt water boating so the first time I dropped the cord in the water I never gave it another thought except to shake it out and plug it in. It took only four weeks and I got a call from my boats alarm system telling me the power went out. Being at home 2500 K away it was more than an inconvenience. Needless to say the cord end that got dunked was ruined, I am now much more careful and still in awe of how fast salt water destroys things. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, the reason we Cannucks drive around cars with no bodies on them is the salt slush on the roads in the winter.

Thanks TF, this discussion has convinced me to upgrade The Promise with a Smartplug system.

BTW, on my sailboat I used a handheld VHF. No power or sailboater ever hailed me. I did use it to call the locks and bridges.

The techies around here who buy 50+ foot Tupperware boats are clueless as they drive their boats with their iPads and smartphones. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom