Old 01-26-2015, 11:23 AM   #69
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Manyboats you stated in#10: 95% of the boats here are semi-disp types. How do you know this?

I don't.
Firstly and most importantly is that my knowledge and opinions are forever evolving and what I thought I knew yesterday may likely change and many times at that. I remember some of the things I used to say on TF 5 years ago I wouldn't post today. But of course everything I post I believe to be true.

Also I'm not intimate with the shapes of all the hulls represented here or in other boats known as trawlers.

And of course more facts and opinions consumed on TF and elsewhere will bring this hull typing into better focus as we move along. Good weather and bad weather may be viewed by many as sunny or cloudy. But it's not that simple of course ... nor is hull typing. I like to classify the hulls into 4 types .. not three. FD, SP, SD and planing in that order. Semi means "partly" and I personally consider partly to be less than half. But there are many hull types represented here on TF that IMO are easy to classify but many others seem impossible. They just don't fit established definitions or my own opinion.

Also this issue has been discussed on BoatDesign.net and there is argument there among the many NAs and many w far less knowledge (such as myself) so the questions are (to some degree) as much opinion as fact wherever one goes in the boating world.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote