Anode locations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joint Effort

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bad Idea
Vessel Make
36 Albin
Yes. I am new but have been lingering a year now researching. I have recently purchased a 36 Albin and want a dependable consistent boat. I have searched and searched for interior anode locations with no luck. I am speaking of the engine heat exchanger and any others. I am working hard to expand my boating vocabulary. I come from a specialized mechanical background, building high speed offroad cars, Ultra4, and resto-mods. I have found we have many of the same parts with different names. Thank you for any input, I want to have a trouble free trip to the Bahamas this fall after a good fuel polishing and prep. 8 knots down the ICW should be more relaxing than cruising a buck ten across the desert.

John

What engine do you have in your boat? Posting pictures of the side near the ends of the heat exchanger would be helpful. Same for the gear cooler.

Welcome to the forum!

Ted

I have no pictures yet but it is a Lemans 120. I don't think I will need specific locations, only basic mechanicals that will require pencil anodes. So the gear cooler and heat exchanger are the most important?

Thanks for the help

If you Google Ford Lehman, there are a number of pics on the web. The heat exchanger will have one that resembles a plug on the bottom of the tube on the Starboard side. The gear cooler may have one. Again, usually resembles a plug on the bottom usually near the front. If not, when it fails, and it will eventually, get one with a zinc and it will last several times longer. I think that's all on that motor, but always good to ask an owner of one.

Ted

my 120 heat exchanger has the zinc on the top left looking forward.

my 120 heat exchanger has the zinc on the top left looking forward.

That's odd, normally their put in from any direction but the top to ensure the entire zinc stays wet.

Ted

That's the zinc on the top left as delivered from ADC, same as my old one.
mWsfVchm_6cd1-ryVomwt0w.jpg

I noted that too. On some of the aftermarket coolers they relocated the zinc to a different location. On my Onan, the replacement cooler, Seacamp, they moved it from the bottom to the top. Maybe they did that to keep from spilling salt water all over the engine when you change it? :confused:

My 135 Lehman only has the coolant heat exchanger zinc, none on the oil cooler. I had to replace the inside connections to the hull zinc located on the transom, they were corroded away and the zinc weren't doing anything. So, go over your bonding system connections.
When you replace that HE zinc, pull off the end cap and make sure pieces aren't broken off inside.

Back
Top Bottom