Boat Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
There is the Interesting Boats thread, but I thought I'd start one that is more just for interesting photos of boats, on boats, with boats, boats doing things, etc. So here are some of mine....

The first (and only) sailboat my wife has been on under sail is the Bluenose II out of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. First two shots are from that experience.

The little Columbia gillnetter is one of my favorite kinds of boat. Similar boats were used in the Bristol Bay salmon fishery and the Monterey herring fishery. First boat that ever made an impression on me was one like this when I was a toddler in Sausalito, CA. The boat was was painted yellow and green and named Lucky Lady. She was probably responsible for my love of water stuff--- boats, floatplanes, ships, fishing, etc. Photo was taken in Fisherman's Bay on Lopez Island.

The Devon is typical of the vessels that anchor in the Vendovi anchorage outside Bellingham Bay where they way to load or unload at the two Anacortes refineries.

The custom lobsterboat Happy Destiny is owned by the folks we do a lot of cruising with. Shot is at Turn Point on Stuart Island.

The Lindsey Foss lives most of the time in Bellingham where it assists tankers, bulk carriers, and cold storage boats moving through the islands. I took this shot as we came out the entrance to our harbor.

I took the two lobsterboat shots on a trip a few years ago to Prince Edward Island.

I took the shot of the purse seiner Tribute from our slip as she was coming out in the 150-ton Travelift at Seaview North.

Attachments

• Bluenose II 1.jpg
    Bluenose II 1.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 332
  • Bluenose II 2.jpg
    Bluenose II 2.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 357
  • Columbia Gillnetter.jpg
    Columbia Gillnetter.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 567
  • Devon.jpg
    Devon.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 284
  • Happy Destiny.jpg
    Happy Destiny.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 295
  • Lindsey Foss.jpg
    Lindsey Foss.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Lobster 1.jpg
    Lobster 1.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 257
  • Lobsterboat 2.jpg
    Lobsterboat 2.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 276
  • Tribute.jpg
    Tribute.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
A few years ago I produced and directed a video for the Boeing Everett Tour Center. I hung the story on the time difference between Capt. Vancouver's voyage from England to Puget Sound and a flight today on an Everett-built plane between the same two places. Using fairly rough math, the jetliner has cut 10,071 hours off the trip, which is the name of the video.

For the opening of the video, I chartered the Lady Washington to shoot scenes representing Capt. Vancouver''s voyage. I had two cameras on the Lady Washington and one in a chase boat, the lobsterboat Happy Destiny owned by our cruising friends in Bellingham. The wind was great and I asked the captain to set every sail the boat could carry. He and the crew managed to get her going 12 knots; the fasted he'd ever known the Lady Washington to go was 13 knots.

The landing craft is a surplus LCM-6 that friends of ours bought to start an inter-island barge service. Named the Mud Puppy, they used the barge to haul contractors' equipment to building sites and a bunch of other jobs. I took the first two shots when the Mud Puppy was being put back in the water after some work in the yard in our harbor. The last photo is the Mud Puppy with her finished paint job. The interesting thing about the Mud Puppy was its crew. It consisted of the husband and wife and their two young teenage daughters (pictured in the Interiors thread).

The two girls became experts at powering the boat onto the beach and holding it there even in strong currents as the trucks, bulldozers, backhoes, etc. were loaded or unloaded. I was told the expressions on the drivers of the equipment when they saw the boat was being conned by a 14 year old girl were pretty funny to see.

Attachments

• Lady Washington 1.jpg
    Lady Washington 1.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 263
  • Lady Washington 2.jpg
    Lady Washington 2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 256
  • Lady Washington 3.jpg
    Lady Washington 3.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 307
  • Lady Washington 4.jpg
    Lady Washington 4.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 233
  • Lady Washington 5.jpg
    Lady Washington 5.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 234
  • Mud Puppy 1.jpg
    Mud Puppy 1.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 241
  • Mud Puppy 2.jpg
    Mud Puppy 2.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 230
  • Mud Puppy.jpg
    Mud Puppy.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
The tallship Amerigo Vespucci ... love that ship and photo.
Sorry, I can't take a credit for it nor provide one.

Attachments

• the_sailing_ship_amerigo_vespucci.jpg
    the_sailing_ship_amerigo_vespucci.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 256
I'll take credit for these photos of Lady Washington. Seen her several times in the San Francisco estuary, always under power, unfortunately.

Western end of Carquinez Strait:

img_299392_0_2fda1972fcf652073b759f55c722a1da.jpg

San Francisco Bay:

img_299392_1_cbba3329eecfed5d2180ee0c9037d905.jpg

Last edited:
Some that I like.

All were taken in Alaska. Last three were in Petersburg. The 3rd off the north end of Prince of Wales Is. and the first two in Craig.

Attachments

• STH71062 copy 2.jpg
    STH71062 copy 2.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 212
  • STH71249 copy 2.jpg
    STH71249 copy 2.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 267
  • STH71291 copy.jpg
    STH71291 copy.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 235
  • STH71639 copy.jpg
    STH71639 copy.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 215
  • STH71663 copy 2.jpg
    STH71663 copy 2.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 241
  • STH71650 copy.jpg
    STH71650 copy.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 215
The little Columbia gillnetter is one of my favorite kinds of boat. Similar boats were used in the Bristol Bay salmon fishery and the Monterey herring fishery. First boat that ever made an impression on me was one like this when I was a toddler in Sausalito, CA. The boat was was painted yellow and green and named Lucky Lady. She was probably responsible for my love of water stuff--- boats, floatplanes, ships, fishing, etc. Photo was taken in Fisherman's Bay on Lopez Island.

Columbia Gillnetter.jpg

I going to be pedantic and correct you here, sorry....:D

Our history, everyone's, is important....fishboat history is important to me. Small double-ended wooden fishing boats from the 1930's may all appear the same (or similar as you say) but they are really different boats developed from differing heritage for very different conditions and fisheries.

The Monterey boats of Northern California show Mediterranean heritage, principally Italian. They were/are mostly used in hook and line fishing but also in some limited net fishing. I don't think there was ever a gillnet fishery in California. A small collection of them can still be seen at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.

The Columbia River gillnetter started out as a 28' double-ended open sail and oar powered boat. They had a very flat shallow bottom with a centerboard, as you would expect for river fishing. Old style Bristol Bay gillnetters are a direct offshoot of the Columbia River type.

The Astoria built "Finn" style troller was used for open ocean hook and line fishing. This is the boat in the picture. They have a very distinctive sheer with fine ends and swoopy lower guard. The hull is narrower, deeper, and finer lined than any gillnetter.

Gillnetters have a large open lower deck aft (or forward in Bowpickers) where a troller will have a mostly flush deck with small aft "pit".

Here's one I took of a couple real lobsterboats last weekend on a quick trip out to Long Island.

And another of boats in the Everett Marina during the holidays, which I think turned out well for a simple phone camera.

Attachments

• 20150110_153933.jpg
    20150110_153933.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 20141226_222723.jpg
    20141226_222723.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 226
View attachment 36496

The Astoria built "Finn" style troller was used for open ocean hook and line fishing. This is the boat in the picture.

Thanks for the history. The owner of the boat in the initial photo I put up told me it had been used as a gillnet boat on the Columbia, so I assumed that's what it was. Particularly as it didn't have trolling poles, gurdies, etc..

And while the Monterey Clippers that were on the docks in Sausalito way back then were evolutions of Italian designs, they were similar in their basic configuration of small pilothouse with a forecabin to the Columbia River boat. The ones in SFO Bay tended to be used for sardines, crabs, etc. so my calling them herring boats is probably incorrect. But it's the basic configuration that's stayed in my mind. I was 2 and 3 years old when my mom was taking me for walks on the docks so I probably wasn't taking note of the exact dimensions or the curve of the sheer. :) Here's a Monterey Clipper. It even has a little bowsprit like the Columbia River boat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Caught this boat as it "drove" by at the Classic Car and Boat Show in LaConner WA. about two years ago.

Attachments

• DSCF1580 copy.jpg
    DSCF1580 copy.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCF1581 copy.jpg
    DSCF1581 copy.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 201
Here are some of working boats in SE Alaska:

Pacific Titan, one of the larger tugs, hauling a barge through the Wrangell Narrows:

0dsc0012s.jpg

Her cargo:

0dsc0013s.jpg

A smaller tug, in Icy Strait:
03730043.jpg

Purse seiners in Icy Strait, looking west at the Fairweather range:
03730035.jpg

Purse seiner in Chatham Strait:
0dsc0029s.jpg

Here's my group of interesting boat pics, all taken within a 50 mile radius of our Watch Hill RI home port.

1. Ill-fated "Bounty" headed up West Passage, Narragansett Bay.
2. "Brilliant" leaving Great Salt Pond, Block Island.
3. "Nantucket" lightship, Newport RI.
4. "Mystic Whaler", Block Island Sound.
5. USCG "Eagle" heading to its slip in New London.
6. "Charles Morgan" on the way to Newport.
7. "Nina" and "Pinta" anchored in West Harbor, Fisher Island.
8. "Amistad", clearing the breakwater in Vineyard Haven.
9. The Admiral at the wheel of "Bluenose" in Greenport.
10. "Chicken of the Sea", in 1970, sailing back from Block Island to Watch Hill, in our 17' Venture. And I might add, in which we (me, the wife, and dog) weathered 90 mph gusts in a t-storm while anchored in the Great Salt Pond. The "Chicken" is what we cut our sailing teeth on.

Attachments

• DSCN0799.jpg
    DSCN0799.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 177
  • briliant_jun10.jpg
    briliant_jun10.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 174
  • DSCN0775.jpg
    DSCN0775.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCN0806.jpg
    DSCN0806.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN0807.jpg
    DSCN0807.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_20140615_081702_305.jpg
    IMG_20140615_081702_305.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 177
  • nina_pinta.jpg
    nina_pinta.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 185
  • Dscn0273.jpg
    Dscn0273.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCN0430.jpg
    DSCN0430.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 203
  • Chicken_of_Sea.jpg
    Chicken_of_Sea.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 206
I love this boat

Attachments

• 2014 05 31_3443.jpg
    2014 05 31_3443.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 196
  • 2013 06 09_Blue Springs_1750crop.jpg
    2013 06 09_Blue Springs_1750crop.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 186
  • max52513004.jpg
    max52513004.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 194
Some photos need no explanation .....

Attachments

• FREDDY.jpg
    FREDDY.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 217
  • FOREDECK A.jpg
    FOREDECK A.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 231
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 199
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 199
Under the "need no explanation" category... Nantucket 2006.

Attachments

• ACK_junk.jpg
    ACK_junk.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 190
Good idea, I can bore you guys with my photos. This would probably be my favourite if I won the big one.

Attachments

• firestone.jpg
    firestone.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 179
I found this beautiful pic while searching for desktop wallpaper. There was no information about the ship, but I love the pic.

Attachments

• ship-wallpaper-2.jpg
    ship-wallpaper-2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 182
Marine art. Love it. Found this painting of the old Schooner Westward off the Dover Cliffs when I was looking for a James Buttersworth print to buy. Thought it was a Buttersworth but its actually by a modern Brit artist, Tim Thompson. He has a similar knack of infusing light into his pictures as Buttersworth.

Attachments

• Westward.jpg
    Westward.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
David,
I've got a very nice picture in glass and all in my passageway to the fore cabin. Came w the boat and I treasure it. I'll bring it home when I sell Willy to remember her by ... as if I'd need it for that.

Just my setup!

Attachments

• DSCN0393.jpg
    DSCN0393.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 147
While in Newport several years ago, we didn't realize we were berthed near Shamrock, one of the original 1930s J-boats. We arrived at our boat, a 76-foot Alden ketch, very late and couldn't see much of anything, except anchor lights in the harbor and a very high red light that I took to be a TV tower on shore. With the dawn, I realized I had been looking at Shamrock's anchor light atop its 160-foot mast.

And on the distinct other end of the spectrum, our skiff just launched at Kiawah Island.

Very impressive bow shot of Shamrock.

Attachments

• Grand Banks (2).jpg
    Grand Banks (2).jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 116
While in Newport several years ago, we didn't realize we were berthed near Shamrock, one of the original 1930s J-boats. We arrived at our boat, a 76-foot Alden ketch, very late and couldn't see much of anything, except anchor lights in the harbor and a very high red light that I took to be a TV tower on shore. With the dawn, I realized I had been looking at Shamrock's anchor light atop its 160-foot mast.

Of the memorable boats at the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta quite a few years back, in addition to "lesser" boats such as Whitehawk and Ticonderoga, were both Shamrock and Endeavour, Endeavour then being owned by Elizabeth Myer, who also was managing Shamrock for the Museum of Yachting of Newport.

The Myer's family owns an island near us and it was quite a sight to see Endeavour's mast sticking up over the spruce trees from the other side of the island. A friend who owns Brooklin Boat yard got to sit on a chair on the aft end of Endevour's wide "Park Avenue" 60+ foot long boom swung out on a broad reach with Endeavour hitting 17 kts. What a rush!

Last edited:
Of the memorable boats at the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta quite a few years back, in addition to "lesser" boats such as Whitehawk and Ticonderoga, were both Shamrock and Endeavour, Endeavour then being owned by Elizabeth Myer, who also was managing Shamrock for the Museum of Yachting of Newport.

The Myer's family owns an island near us and it was quite a sight to see Endeavour's mast sticking up over the spruce trees from the other side of the island. A friend who owns Brooklin Boat yard got to sit on a chair on the aft end of Endevour's wide "Park Avenue" 60+ foot long boom swung out on a broad reach with Endeavour hitting 17 kts. What a rush!

Very cool! We saw Endeavour under sail while poking around Ft. Adams a few years ago. Absolutely breathtaking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom