Transmission oil change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like I said, I had a discussion with the "old timers" at my local Velvet Drive distributors and that's what we went with.
I was thinking of switching to 30W motor oil since that's what I'm carrying around for the engines. Just one less barrel of oil to store. I was more interested in why synthetic multi grade and not regular dyno multi grade?? Thanks!!:popcorn:

I was thinking of switching to 30W motor oil since that's what I'm carrying around for the engines. Just one less barrel of oil to store. I was more interested in why synthetic multi grade and not regular dyno multi grade?? Thanks!!:popcorn:
Oh I didn't address that. I know that the bearings need lots of lubrication in these gears, and I know that ATF is not the greatest lubrication choice (although used here because of its anti-foaming quality).
So I went with synthetic because it is "supposed" to be a better lubricant, and run cooler.
Ok probably splitting hairs here (I guess no more than many on this board;)), but that was my reasoning.

Synthetics survive overheating better...a temp or blockage in cooling or other adverse condition would have less effect on a synthetic.

I have twin dics on my, now I am going to have to dig into the manual to see.....My prepreation lists just gets longer....Thanks TF!

Oh I didn't address that. So I went with synthetic because it is "supposed" to be a better lubricant, and run cooler.
Ok probably splitting hairs here (I guess no more than many on this board;)), but that was my reasoning.

Ok. . Unfortunately, I don't want to switch back to multi grade in my engines again, as for whatever reason, the girls like it too much and drink it gingerly. :facepalm: So I would still be carrying two different types of oil if I put Syn, in the tanny's. I think I'll go with the 30W for now until someone comes up with a do or die reason to switch it. Thank! :thumb:
LB

I'll add to the chorus - same as in my manual - Dexron is "preferred" SAE30 is "acceptable".

Ken

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom