Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cape Ross is well loved boat. We see her often in the summer loaded up with multiple generations of people having fun on the water.

Yes, I was just looking at that. Hard to know, but I assume it is a recent posting.

Also found this:

Cape Ross lovingly restored by local resident - Local - Campbell River Courier Islander

Thanks, Conrad

Good story on her and her restorer/owner. If my life was in the correct position I'd go to see her for purpose of purchase. It was love at first sight for me when I focused on her picture and reviewed the link. Chemistry in boat love, although different than chemistry in people love, is still similarly rooted in the magic of "attractions" that bring two together and can produce a happy union. Ya just get "that" feeling! :dance:

Beautiful refit.
Must have cost $$$... Guess at least $250k.
No indication of the asking price. :D

Everything above the deckedge is new welded aluminum, plus a whole new interior and all new systems. The conversion was intended to turn her into a small passenger vessel, meeting all requirements that entails. That didn't work out and she's now a family cruiser based south of the border. Your guess is off by a factor of 5-6

Everything above the deckedge is new welded aluminum, plus a whole new interior and all new systems. The conversion was intended to turn her into a small passenger vessel, meeting all requirements that entails. That didn't work out and she's now a family cruiser based south of the border. Your guess is off by a factor of 5-6

...from the blog!!!

. It's an old table seiner turned yacht but you'd do just as well calling the Cape Ross a historic obsession.

The history includes 50 years of commercial fishing on the coast. The obsession is John Dolmage's.

Over the past five years he's put 10,000 hours or more into rebuilding the seiner originally built in 1952 for the Canadian Fishing Company (Canfisco).

- See more at: Cape Ross lovingly restored by local resident - Local - Campbell River Courier Islander

10,000 hours work.....!

Greetings,
Mr. R. 10K hrs of work does seem like an obsession or a perfect way to keep occupied. (I think the latter). But if he's asking $1.75 million my math works that out to be $175/ hour-materials. Hmmm....Maybe I'm in the wrong business...

Greetings,
Mr. R. 10K hrs of work does seem like an obsession or a perfect way to keep occupied. (I think the latter). But if he's asking $1.75 million my math works that out to be $175/ hour-materials. Hmmm....Maybe I'm in the wrong business...

RT "asking" is the operative word.

Greetings,

How did you get $1.75 Million from an asking price of $699K ?

.....she's now a family cruiser based south of the border. Your guess is off by a factor of 5-6

I remember reading about and seeing photos of this boat some years ago, I think put up by OFB of this forum. Where south of the border is the boat based these days?

I'm going to step out on a limb and assume he was going from Tad's estimation of the refit cost. Asking price is 699k and the actual cost to build the boat was north of 1.5 mil

2 separate discussion entirely

Greetings,
Mr. A. Indeed ASKING is the operative word. Mr. W. "How did you get $1.75 Million..." Didn't you read the link posted in post #1472?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Greetings,
OK, $699K. That's still $70/hr-materials. I still say I'm in the wrong business. Jeepers, I think I'm doing well to pay myself $0.37/ hr. What crash? Wait for it.....

Last edited:
Quote from link below

"It's tough to part with a labor of love, but Dolmage has the vessel up for sale. He's asking $1.75 million as is and suggesting the finished vessel could go for about $2.3 million. The best-case scenario would be to sell it and still operate it for charter work."

About 2/3 down the page at: Cape Ross lovingly restored by local resident - Local - Campbell River Courier Islander

This link that I posted shows the Boat "after" refit (2007) and in current state when it was for sale for $699K (or best offer)
1952/2007 Sterling Shipyards Seiner Trawler

I can open that link... but, can't get it to show "for sale" boat listings???

If you can open it, and it shows the light blue banner ... wait a while, it takes some time to appear, even with a high speed connection.

Restoring a historic wooden boat is priceless...

...even if in the end it becomes worthless.:blush:

Here it is

Attachments

• Cape ross.jpg
    Cape ross.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 256
Here it is

Thanks West. I'd tried again and even though blue banner would come up immediately - would not open to pages no matter how long I waited! Not needed now that you posted ad. Thanks, again.

Bet 575K +/- cash and some one would cruise away with that beautiful big baby!

How did you get $1.75 Million from an asking price of $699K ?

I don't think that the Cape Ross was ever on the market at $1.75 million, but a few years back I recall seeing her for sale with a $1 million asking price. Don't recall when though.

Yep. Same one. I'm a sucker for ugly boats. ?

PM me if you want info.

Last edited:
Brooklin Boat Yard is building an "interesting" boat for a client. A 74 foot sailboat with design collaboration between German Frers and Frank Gehry. Here's a shot of the overhead in the main saloon. Glass inserts in that latticework. Wild! Not my cup of tea.

Attachments

• Frers.jpg
    Frers.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 3,377
Brooklin Boat Yard is building an "interesting" boat for a client. A 74 foot sailboat with design collaboration between German Frers and Frank Gehry. Here's a shot of the overhead in the main saloon. Glass inserts in that latticework. Wild! Not my cup of tea.

Heck with tea... Maybe that overhead design is due to someone's couple o' cups of Vodka!

:whistling:It's tea alright, but the kind of tea served at Ma Browns in Negril!

Back
Top Bottom